Please help! What's wrong w my kitty?

kate3086

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my male cat for ab 5 years now. I adopted him when he was just a kitten and basically raised him. I was the sole caregiver to this cat, until my boyfriend moved in about a year ago. Max (my cat) has never really had any behavior problems. Last Friday, I came home with a bag from Walmart and a bag from a local department store. I sat the Walmart bag in the kitchen and went to another room. When I returned, I found max hissing at the bag, so I told him to stop and moved the bag. A few minutes later he was hissing, growling, and swatting at me! I barely made it out of the house safely! My boyfriend was home and able to put Max into another room so I could come back in. That night any ime i went near the door of maxs room he would hiss and scrath and the door. He was fine with my boyfriend though. The next morning, max was completely normal. Two days later, I went shoppin at the same department store. I returned home, but left the bag in the car. Max was still acting normal until I brought the bag in. Within a minute he was hissing and chasing me again.. I had to run out of the house. My boyfriend wasn't home, so my mom had to come over and put the cat in another room... Where he again stayed for the night. This occurred on Monday and each day I've attempted to be around Max, but eventually he hisses, growls, and chases me. I have bought a feliway diffuser, calming collar, calming spray, and calming treats.... Nothing is working!

I called my vet a week ago when this first happened and he agreed that it was probably a scent from the department store that max did not like. Since then, I've washed the clothes I bought and removed the bags from the house. My vet said that considering thatax is bein normal wih my boyfriend and mom and that since he is eating and using the bathroom normally that he does not expect anything to be wrong medically. This I why I haven't taken him in to see the vet. I called againfriday, but he vet was out of town. This morning his secretary called and said the vet wanted to give me a prescription of acepromazine (I believe?) to give max just for the weekend until I could brig him in on Monday. It's a mild sedative and I gave max one 5mg pill this morning. Within an hour he was calm and laying with me.. Following me to every room and laying down. He was fine all day until around 630 tonight. Suddenly, he started hissing at me again and chased me. I gave him another pill and 30 mins later attempted to go near him again, but he just hissed. I'm guessing the medicine hadn't kicked in yet.

I don't know what else to do. This is breaking my heart. Max is always around me and has slept we every night since he was 6 weeks old. I'm desperate for help! I jut want my sweet cat back!

bowie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's good that you are taking him to see your vet.  They will make sure that his is not painful anywhere and that there is not medical reason for him to be acting aggressive.  Do you know if there are any new stray cats outside that he may be able to see or smell that could be making him aggitated?  

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a case of redirected aggression. It is very likely that sometime when you were not home, maybe when he was a kitten, Max probably got his head caught in the loop of a department store bag and ran through the house in terror with the bag attached to him. I have had this happen to several cats, to the point where I take a scissors and cut the loop of any bag as soon as I walk in the door. 

Just be aware that he is probably sensitive to the rustling sound of a paper bag as well as the bag itself. It very likely arouses the entire fear and trauma that he experienced as well as the adrenaline. He has no idea what is causing him to hiss, he only knows that the presence of the bag signals danger and possible death- which is what he would have thought as a kitten or whenever this happened to him- as I said, very likely when you were not even around!

The best way to stop this from happening again with him would be to flatten that bag and put it under a bunch of toys and catnip, and then get him playing really hard with a string and a stick on top of that whole area. Very gradually over several weeks continue playing with him and each time make bags a little more prominent. 

The point being that, by the time the whole bag is in front of him, he will have been in a position of confidence and aggression by natural instinct, brought on by you first getting him all up for play and pouncing on things so he is already brave before he sees any signs of his fearful bag :-)

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just thinking out loud here...

This is quite a conundrum, especially since Max has been with you since he was a little tot. Perhaps he is associating you with the bit of scolding he got when he was hissing at the bag. I find this interesting that he had such a reaction to the bag. Kitties are very intuitive and can sense things that we can't, so maybe he sensed something from the bag itself, or the contents that set him off--and since you brought the bag in, he's now associating this bad feeling with you. It could also be that someone that is around a lot of kitties had tried on the clothes, or the person that touched the bag prior to you did, and that set him off.

Some things you can try:

I would not attempt to go near him--let him come to you on his own terms--even if this means you ignore each other for an extended time.

Use an interactive toy, like Da Bird, to redirect his aggression--but use it at the first sign of anything, like hissing, before it escalates to something worse. If you use Da Bird, use it with gentle motions through the air and on the floor. Da Bird is especially great because you don't have to be close to them to use it.

Always talk in a calm, soothing voice. Do not scold or sound stern in any way.

If he has a place that he regularly sleeps now (since he's not in bed with you at this time), place articles of clothing that haven't been washed and that you have worn and have your scent on them in these areas. A little mess for the greater good ain't gonna hurt.

You could try adding non-alcohol Rescue Remedy or Aspen remedy (have to scroll down to see all the remedies--other remedies may fit him too) in his water and applied to places he naps or sleeps. You can combine both of these, and it only takes a few drops. http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm Your boyfriend could apply these to his ears and paw pads.

One question: Does he hide from you at all?

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just sort of wandering with this but it sounds like he is associating something unpleasant about the bag with you.  It could be anything and as another poster suggested he may have been caught in the handles of the shopping bag at one time.  That happened to one of my cats with a bag from the supermarket.  I turned my back to put something in the fridge and she had gotten caught in the bag in like 2 seconds.  She ran like the wind, knocking into walls, doors etc.  To make it worse my dogs started barking because of the commotion and scared her even more.  To this day she fears shopping bags.  Unlike Max, she shows no association to me with the bags.  When I carry bags in she seems calm.  It's when they are sitting on the counter she freaks out. 

I've always used Feliway and I firmly believe it helps so be patient with it.  Apparently Max does okay with the sedative.  I would give him the sedative and not force any issues with him.  Let him come to you on his own terms.  Even when the sedative wears off just let him do his thing.  If he wants to hiss at you just let him.  Ignore him when he does this.  Eventually he will come around and love his mommy again.  If you know you are going shopping, you might want to either make arrangements to bring your items into the house in a box or try to make the bag a pleasant experience by putting catnip and/or toys he likes in one of the bags and let him explore it.  I dunno.  As a last resort you could always put him in a room while you're shopping and let him out after you get everything put away and the bags disposed of. 

The important thing is for you to remain calm and use a steady voice.  I'm glad he's getting a vet visit.  Might be something physical but if he's good with your boyfriend and your mom I kind of think it might be the association thing.  Good luck and please post updates when you can.  I'm very interested in the outcome.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I really don't know, but just wanted to post as I really feel for you! It must be so difficult.  Obviously it is a scent issue and he continues to associate you with it, but what to do about it is beyond me.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this site, so hopefully you'll hear from then soon.  In the meantime, lots of

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kate3086

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are no new strays around my house and Max is strictly and indoor cat.

kate3086

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was not the bag, but the smell. He was def aggravated by the smell because all he kept doing was walking around sniffing the air. Plus, my boyfriend brought in groceries yesterday and max was fine w the bags.

kate3086

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he loves bags actually. Plus, it was a dress bag both times that I hung up. So he just smelt it basically. It's been a week, so this is just tearing me apart.

kate3086

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whollycat and nutromike, thank you for your replys! Max has never had issues with bags. Infact, we brought bags in yesterday and he was fine. Last night, after I had given him another sedative he still began to hiss at me. I understand that I should start allowing him to do it and just ignore it, but I'm scared of him now. His claws are sharp and I'm scared to stick around and see what he will do. He is absolutely normal w my boyfriend... He actually checked Max last night to see if anything hurt on him and he was fine and normal. This is just breaking my heart and I dont know what else to do. We are assuming it was the smell of those 2 dress bags, but since then I have washed everything and cleaned like crazy. It just doesn'take sense.

kate3086

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks mani. It's really taking a toll on me. He's like my baby and best friend, and seeing him act normal w everyone but me just breaks my heart. I'm scared of him now and I just hate it.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever was going on with the bags, it sounds like it had another cat's - or dog's(?) smell on it. You never know where it's been, maybe there were cats around wherever the bags are manufactured or cats were in/around whatever warehouse the bags may be in before being distributed to the stores. 

It certainly does seem as if he reacted to the bag as if it were another male cat or maybe a dog, and a "cat" (= danger) that YOU brought into the home. 

With cats, if they have a traumatic experience, they often forget what triggered it and are left with just the association.

It isn't anything you are doing now, it is just that when he sees you, his natural "fight or flight" response kicks in and triggers the reaction he had several days ago. Like post traumatic stress syndrome. 

In order to make it dissipate you will have to act like everything is normal, don't lock eyes with him as that is a predator signal. Act like everything is normal, give him treats and make a big deal about it with your voice like you would with a little baby, engage him in play using a string on a stick (so there is distance between you and him and he can focus on the string itself) and move it away from him so he can chase it and "conquer" it.

The play therapy will engage his natural prey instinct and build his confidence. When is confidence is built up he will feel a whole lot better. And very importantly, he has built up aggression and adrenaline from this trauma and the playing, where he is the winner, will both drain away all that anxiety and make him the "victor" and he will feel much better. Also it will help him to build new, positive associations with you. :-)

I have had some similar reactions from kitties I work with at the adoption center. We are able to bring them out to play while we clean their cages and also just play with them. But at some point we have to put them back. Since there are many volunteers, different every day, some are more abrupt than others with the cats. And there are a few kitties who will get very upset to even be approached to be put back into their cages, so if I have to pick up one of those cats, the next time they see me, they are hissy. I have overcome this by using these same things- I talk to them and give them treats once they are in their cage, and when they are out I take special time to play with them. It works very well :-). 

kate3086

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help BarbB. I too am hoping it's redirected aggression. I have had him stay in a room where my boyfriend is around him so he doesn't feel fully alone. I keep going in slowly and giving him treats and toys... Eventually he just stares at me and I get frightened and shut te door. I want to let him have free roam of the house with me around, but I'm still a little shaken by the whole thing. I'm lost a lot of trust in him; ESP since lat night after giving him a sedative he eventually hissed and tried to attack. Minutes before, he was rubbing against my leg.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In order to make it dissipate you will have to act like everything is normal, don't lock eyes with him as that is a predator signal. Act like everything is normal, give him treats and make a big deal about it with your voice like you would with a little baby, engage him in play using a string on a stick (so there is distance between you and him and he can focus on the string itself) and move it away from him so he can chase it and "conquer" it.

The play therapy will engage his natural prey instinct and build his confidence. When is confidence is built up he will feel a whole lot better. And very importantly, he has built up aggression and adrenaline from this trauma and the playing, where he is the winner, will both drain away all that anxiety and make him the "victor" and he will feel much better. Also it will help him to build new, positive associations with you. :-)
I agree with this, especially with the play therapy part--that's why I suggested Da Bird.

Okay, this part will differ regarding the predator signal and maybe help with that.

A human with wide open eyes is a signal to kitties that are scared, aggressive, etc. that they should respond by running away or be aggressive in return.

I learned about the "slow cat blink" to calm kitties from watching Jackson Galaxy's show, and it works--well at least in my experiment with Maxie. So here goes:

Look in your kitty's eyes with your eyes relaxed, and about half-open and begin to blink very slowly (about a second or two between slow blinks). (You can try this from a few feet away even--as long as you are looking at each other--but don't do it while you are standing if you can help it.) This kind of blinking calms kitties down, and they will return your blink to let you know they are relaxing a bit--just keep doing it for awhile.

I tried this on my Maxie just to see what would happen. I'll preface this to say that Maxie wasn't aggressive, and was just sitting beside me on the couch. Maxie was just my guinea pig for this experiment.
Okay, on to the blinking with Maxie. I looked straight into Maxie's eyes with mine about half-way closed, then did a very slow blink, then another, and Maxie did the same--returned my blink after the first couple slow blinks from me. I kept doing this with Maxie returning my slow blink. Since Maxie wasn't in an aggressive or scared state, as we continued returning blinks........he fell asleep! Sitting up!!!
and

So, maybe try looking at him with half-closed, non-predator eyes, and if he's amenable, while laying on the floor, or other "eye level" stance, and try this exercise with him. It helps build trust. It sure calmed my already calm Maxie to where he fell asleep sitting up. I was amazed to watch him return my blinks (so cute!) and then fall asleep...oh my!

Other things you can do: When in the same room, get down to his level as in sitting on the floor to not seem so intimidating--compared to kitties, we're quite large and intimidating. Also, if approaching him, approach a bit from the side and do so slowly so as not to startle him.

I know this is quite stressful for you, honey. Please try to relax, even if it means using deep breathing to achieve this. Kitties pick up on our stress and this can escalate the situation. If he just stares at you (maybe could be an opportunity to use the eyes half-closed "slow blink" technique), or begins to chase you, have that string on a stick or Da Bird ready and use it then to redirect his aggression.

You're probably going to think I'm one crazy cat lady for suggesting the "slow cat blink," but hey, we do what we have to do to try and help--even if it sounds outlandish!

Last edited: