Please Help!! What Is Wrong With My Kitten?

Christeenie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had 3 kittens, all of them seemed fine until they got older and I noticed one of them had half a tail! Not bloody or anything just didn't form right I guess, it curves under him a little. No big deal. There about 7 weeks now. Brother and sister eating and using bathroom on own but he always seems a little slower, sleeps more, still crys and chases mama for milk. He also uses the bathroom on himself. Like he has no control of his bladder..it's not solid poop like his brothers and sisters either is mostly mush..since he has the stubby tail he's always covered in pee or poop and is very uncomfortable..I try and clean him but he crys. Today I noticed his stomach is VERY round and sticking out on the sides yet the other 2 lost their round bellys. Although he seems a little behind the other ones he still can run and play, his legs look a little bo legged as well..what should I do..is he sick? I'm mainly concerned why he's going to the bathroom on himself still..Please help!!:) I will try to show photos if needed

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like he needs to see a vet. It can happen that tail deformities indicate other rear end problems/deformities. These type of problems can result in the problems you are seeing.

Please see a vet as soon as possible and let us know how it goes. To prepare you, the vet will likely need to take x-rays. When getting the quote from your vet make sure you ask if their fee is per exposure and how many exposures will be needed so you don't get sticker shock.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He may have some problems with bowel and bladder control that’s related to the short tail. Is it urine or stool that he’s covered with? You really have no choice but to clean his behind for him, even if he doesn’t like it. Use a soft sponge and baby shampoo. And he really should be checked by a vet to see what the problem is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christeenie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the advice! I figured that but I was hopeful that maybe he would grow out of it :frown: another problem is the mama cat is my bosses and he's no where near as empathetic as us cat lovers :sigh: am hoping to take the poor kitty home sometime this week and get him checked out. The family that was suppose to take him once old enough had backed out. I'm hoping someone will realize what a good boy he is despite the problems, I would keep him but I have tooo many. Will keep posted on what happens at vet. Hopefully it won't cost a fortune. Thanks again!

Christeenie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He may have some problems with bowel and bladder control that’s related to the short tail. Is it urine or stool that he’s covered with? You really have no choice but to clean his behind for him, even if he doesn’t like it. Use a soft sponge and baby shampoo. And he really should be checked by a vet to see what the problem is.
urine and feces, some days are better than others and doesn't make that much of a mess but you can tell he is uncomfortable because he goes to the mama to clean him yet she wants no part of it. A lot of smeared poopy all over his box right now, very hard to keep up. I'll try using some baby shampoo that should help, thanks!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope your boss is going to spay his cat now, grrrrrrrrr.

I have a kitty sort of like that. Peps is mostly incontinent of urine but he leaves poops everywhere because he has trouble getting into the litter box. His back legs are paralyzed. Luckily he has very solid stool, pellets, really. He wears diapers. He has no idea there is anything wrong with him and is a really happy cat.

Christeenie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trust me I know,grrrrr! I can't tell you how many times I told him to get her fixed which is why I didn't want to get involved considering I told him all problems letting the cat stay unfixed. But I can't just sit there & not help the baby so here I am. If the kitty had solid stool it would be a lot easier but for some reason it's very mushy still, I thought because he is still nursing but his siblings have hard stool. I was wondering if you could put diapers on cats without them trying to rip it off or it getting just all over them. Aww.I'm glad to hear your kitty lives a perfectly happy life:thumbsup:! I'm hoping this little guy will get the same.

Christeenie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you take the mom to be spayed? Thank you for caring, and let us know how the kitten is.
Yes I can, a woman recently stopped by who works for a TNR group and told my boss she would spay the cat for free and left her number, should I let her do it or should I go to a vet? When we first got the cat we didn't know she was pregnant , but now she already had a second liter. My boss is very stubborn but I told him it's enough she needs to get fixed already. Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before getting her fixed ? She's still nursing the babies a little but you can tell she wants them off.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I can, a woman recently stopped by who works for a TNR group and told my boss she would spay the cat for free and left her number, should I let her do it or should I go to a vet? When we first got the cat we didn't know she was pregnant , but now she already had a second liter. My boss is very stubborn but I told him it's enough she needs to get fixed already. Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before getting her fixed ? She's still nursing the babies a little but you can tell she wants them off.
I think you should have her spayed by the TNR group. Ideally you can wait until the babies are 8 weeks old, but really any time now.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I personally prefer to let a vet do the spay because the cat gets better pain management. But of course, it costs more. Kittens need to be able to get by on solid food before you spay her (5-6 weeks old); she can go back to nursing them when she recovers, probably in a day or two. Sounds like she’d love to get a day off right now!

Thank you for taking care of these kittens. You rock!

Christeenie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice!
& of course i love them:hearthrob:

Christeenie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: thank you everyone again for the advice! A family is interested in taking the little guy so we're working together on getting him healthy. We took him to the aspca and they said he has a prolapsed anus so he's been straining to use the bathroom, hence why he always had liquid smelly feces and was so bloated. They say he won't live long unless he has surgery. I'm worried about him having surgery cause he's so small still, so now we're discussing cost or if we should possible get a second opinion before we do a risky survey.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A second opinion is always worth getting.

Has the little fellow been de-wormed? Are his poops more formed yet?

Christeenie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankfully we did get a second opinion before going thru with a surgery which could be risky for the little guy. We went to another vet and they said he had worms, gave us a dewormer and said to give him baby food to help him go to the bathroom. So that's what we've been doing. We're waiting to see if that helps before going thru with surgery. It's frustrating that every vet seems to say something different