Please Help! What breed is my cat?

kimbly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted Smokey from a shelter as a kitten so we don't know exactly what breed he is but we did some research and it we think he may be a  Korat or Chartreux. He is obviously a mix but if you have any ideas, please share :)

his eyes are bright gold with green around the center and he has subtle stripes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a lovely blue domestic shorthair :). Very handsome.

Unlike dogs, purebred cats are comparatively rare (~1% of the cat population) so very few pet cats are purebred or even purebred mixes.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Copy and pasting from your post in the other thread:

Korats and Chartreux are so rare it's extremely unlikely he'd be a mix.

He's a beautiful blue domestic shorthair, congratulations on your new addition.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it is really important for you to compare him with some breed, I would say look alike to a russian blue of pet quality.

The overall look is quite decent for a young russian blue, but the eyes not really green, and this white medaljong on the breast (btw, one of the few but typically faults in russian blues... Making them into pet quality...)

Congrats to such a nice new companion!

sarahqueen5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ONE OF MY QUEEN'S KITTENS, OUTTA 5, WAS PURE WHITE WHEN BORN. NOW HE'S CHANGED TO A LIGHT TAN WITH SMOKEY EARS AND TAIL. I'VE SEEN THE TOM AROUND AND HE'S IDENTICAL. TOM IS A QUITE LARGE CAT. ANY IDEAS ON BREED?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ONE OF MY QUEEN'S KITTENS, OUTTA 5, WAS PURE WHITE WHEN BORN. NOW HE'S CHANGED TO A LIGHT TAN WITH SMOKEY EARS AND TAIL. I'VE SEEN THE TOM AROUND AND HE'S IDENTICAL. TOM IS A QUITE LARGE CAT. ANY IDEAS ON BREED?
This is typically for colour points, they usually are born white, and darken at the right places; the "masque" in the face, and the tail, somewhat later on.  Eyes often blue.

The father is pure colorpoint, having this gene from ma and pa; may be some pet quality pure bred, or may be mix of some sort.  (picture please?)

Ma is apparently no pointed herself, but apparently have the recessive gene of colour point.

This recessive gene can wander down along the river of the life for generations, even 20 generations down the line, and dont reveals before it meets another gene of the same type...

Such mixed kittens, if shorthaired, not seldom get the look alike of old type siamese (if the colour point gene is of the siamese type; there is also the Burma type but less common).

Good luck!.

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The color point gene is extremely common in the American domestic cat population.  It shows up even in ferals on a regular basis.

The "points" are the cooler parts of the body, and that determines where they turn whatever base color they are.

catlady789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a very similar looking cat . I have come to the conclusion that he is a Russian Blue /Tabby mix ,since my cat's sister is a Tabby

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a very similar looking cat . I have come to the conclusion that he is a Russian Blue /Tabby mix ,since my cat's sister is a Tabby
Some pics are welcome, both on your cat, and also sisters tabby...  Do you know anything about theirs background, theirs ma and pa?