Please help, this kitten is crazy and Poo paw problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL maybe  a few weeks ago, now I kinda like her...sorta kinda...ok maybe a lot....

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could cover the furniture with blankets.  I think that is a good idea.  And a note to all, I believe I am keeping her...I feel if I rehome her i will subject her to more stress and will be failing her.  I chose this responsibility, now im going to live with this kitten stage and  gain a lifelong friend.  My girlfriend has agreed and I guess I just have some OCD I have to get over.
If you re-homed her you are passing the problem to someone else. You are her person now & she depends on you for everything. BTW, cannot believe you spent $1,150 for a kitten when there are thousands in shelters looking for a nice home.

Last edited:

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup shes mine now.  And I feel you on that but dont be so quick to judge.  I'm REAAAALLLY allergic to cats.  She is a Siberian, hence hypoallergenic.  The first 2 weeks with her I was even severely allergic to her.  She gave me hives, runny nose, headache, sneezing, etc.  After 2 weeks though it totally dissapeared.  I would have totally adopted a cat if it wasn't for the allergy.  A non hypoallergenic cat I could not have tolerated.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup shes mine now.  And I feel you on that but dont be so quick to judge.  I'm REAAAALLLY allergic to cats.  She is a Siberian, hence hypoallergenic.  The first 2 weeks with her I was even severely allergic to her.  She gave me hives, runny nose, headache, sneezing, etc.  After 2 weeks though it totally dissapeared.  I would have totally adopted a cat if it wasn't for the allergy.  A non hypoallergenic cat I could not have tolerated.
Wasn't judging. Only giving my opinion.

marrin713

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mooch,

They are absolutely different haha, as I am learning.  Ive also heard positive reinforcement works and negative reinforcement never works.  People have told me its because dogs see you as their leader and recognize if you say they did something bad, they did something bad.  Cats on the other hand dont see you as a leader but rather a companion, so if you yell at them or punish, they just get annoyed at you because they dont feel like they did anything wrong.

The stuffed animal sounds like a great idea! Im sure she would love it!  

As for roaming, at this point I think I just have to let her, mess be damned =/.  She loves looking out the window from the windowsill or back of the chair during the day and I think shed be really stressed stuck in the bathroom.  Maybe Ill just clean the litterbox every day instead of every other.  

Im actually not allergic to her at all anymroe which is great!  The bath is more because she has such long fur and tends to get nasty stuff stuck to it haha.  And i dont think you're firmly grasping how much she hates the bath.  She FREAKS out.  I think what I need to do is get rubber kitchen gloves so that I can let her bite or scratch and ignore it so that she knows shes not getting away and maybe shell calm down.  IT might be that im letter her get away too many times and its stressing her out more.  I usually have to let go when she starts digging at me with her back claws then she jumps out of the bath and I promptly put her back in.  That in and out might be the stressor? Maybe just  glove up, let her scratch and whatnot till she sees she cant get away?  Would the sink maybe stress her less since its smaller?  Ive also  read that cats dont l iek slippery surfaces from the water and to use a bathmat or towel?

And i totally agree with you on the adult cat aspect.  Everyone loves baby animals so much but for me i love the bond as they get older and develop their individual personalities.  I will say i think i expected way too much too early.  Im really starting to love this little kitten, and I daresay she likes me a bit too.  Shes been sleeping  on my lap in my office while im on the computer for like an hour now and shes never done this (actually while im typing this message).  My lap is so warm haha.  I guess what ive learned from this is kittens and cats will give you a ton of love if you have the patience for them, they are not as quick to bond as puppies.  Its definentely difficult when they are doing dumb things in the beginning but giving you no affection or love back to balance it out.  With a puppy the love comes so early that you dont mind the grossness.  I guess cats just take a little more.  I also want to say i love this site and all of you and thankyou so much!  That one comment to my first post really jumpstarted me and made me feel like a jerk (which was needed!).  Shes a baby and needs love and patience and im ready to give it to her as much as needed!  Also vet bills can stress you out haha, and she wasnt a cheap kitten (siberians can be costly...screw allergies haha.

And as ive said to prof ive heard so much conflicting info about cats in general, especially when it comes to eating.  It just seems like they have such individual little personalites.  I have heard pretty  definitively though that grazing can lead to diabetes as  cats werent really designed to just graze throughout the day but rather eat in bursts.  Maybe ill let her eat as  much as she wants at each sitting, feeding her 3 times a day, then remove the food?  

And yeah it was a bit bumpy in the beginning to say the least. I  love animals but i think she was a bit of an impulse buy.  I was so stressed at work and feeling kinda out of sorts and wanted a furry little critter to love like the dog I had at my parents.  I will say its the best impulse buy ive made though!  And when it comes to animals  Im always interested to learn as much as possible.  I like to understand their body language as good as possible so that I can do my part and provide them with what they need.  For example, with my old dog if I thought she seemed a little itchy under her collar, I would go over and give her a few good scratches under it.  I cant imagine how annoying that would be to have  an itch you cant get to!  Im learning a lot about cat moods as well and trying to pay attention to tail movement, ears, etc...I will say I'm a little confused as to different meows haha...and to how athletic they are (I get nervous from when she jumps from high stuff but shes always like "eh no biggy, chillaxxxx").

Also you guys have been super supportive and I realize I havent done my part! Its tradition to provide pics right?  Ill take one now as shes on my lap and send you a few old ones as well!  Excuse the hairy legs haha.

PS: Maybe i tried to do a bath to early as well?  I read its best to get kittens used to certain things before 14 weeks, but maybe she needed to trust me more and also she may have been tense  from not feeling well?  Ill have to take things slower.  I got some nice smelling cat wipes for now (melon cucumber) and will suck it up and just use those till our trust is higher i suppose.  I have to trust my intuition more and sense her attitude rather than just following specific timelines.  People dont work by timelines and maybe cats dont either.

She's gorgeous!

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha thankyou!  Ya shes so pretty  =) I cant wait to see how she looks as she gets older!