PLEASE help! Suffering Kitty

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
When we collected Mellow the shelter said make sure the first ingredient isnt a filler like corn hopefully that might help someone too.

I had no idea how much filler was in the dry foods, we are feeding him dry food, with water right next ot it, so hopefully we wont have problems

Glad Memphis is ok now!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing I found to be very helpful is to place multiple water bowls around the house and see if your cat prefers to drink in a location other than the normal one. I found this out when my cat was having UTI problems... it turned out that if I put a second bowl in the bedroom, he'd drink a ton of water. He barely touches the one near his food in the kitchen. But now he drinks much more and the problem hasn't recurred.

And, yes, male cats should be eating at least some wet food every day.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard (don't quote me) that they prefer their water and food be separate. I feed in the kitchen and the water fountain is in the corner on a little mat in the dining area. Our kitties love the fountain and drink a lot of water (either that or it's evaporating at a significant rate
).

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine certainly does, and I know two other cats that also prefer to drink water in the bedroom. It's funny to see them eat a little, and then trot into the other room to drink. The water bowl by the food goes untouched, but it never hurts to leave it there.

Maybe there's some biological urge associating the place where they sleep with the freshest water source?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well... Memphis had to go back to the vet. My boyfriend said he still hasn't pooped and he is still not peeing much. The vet did bloodwork and tests and he has a lower urinary tract disease that apparently Persian cats get a lot. It won't go away, and he'll just have to be on a special food for the rest of his life... poor guy!!! Here's a pic of him. Isn't he the funniest looking but cutest cat!