Please Help - Stray Cat

shaun74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I have a stray cat in my neighborhood, i have been feeding him and finally got to pat him today. To my shock i realised he had an absis coming out his anus. I tried to catch him to put him in my cat cage to take to the vets, i was so close, but he just got away and now wont come near me. All that work getting him to trust me and i messed up getting him in the cage, i could almost cry. I need to get him to the vet ASAP and im not sure how long it will take him to trust me again if he ever will. I was thinking of renting a cat trap tomorrow as i need to try and get him asap. Am i doing the right thing ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou
Shaun

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yes, a cat trap is the way to do this. First call around and find a vet that will take him in. You should look for a feline only vet or at least one that is experienced with ferals.

If you are in the US there is Alley Cat Allies or The Feral Cat Coalation that can help you with a trap and Vet Care.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most abscesses clear up on their own with a feral/stray. The good thing to do is to get him at least on an antibiotic. If you could get a picture of it and explain you can't catch him, some vet may give you an over-the-counter one. You can get some on Amazon or pet med sites too. It would be nice to catch him though, you could prevent future abscesses by getting him neutered so he won't be fighting.
Since you actually touched him, he is most likely a stray. Maybe your local animal shelter would trap him and get him the care he needs. Good luck!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feral Friends Network® Connect

This is the Alley Cat Allies Feral Friends Network. It takes only a few minutes to register and you may find someone locally who can at least advise you. A trap is the way to go. Bait it with something like KFC as opposed to dry kibble or ordinary cat food if he appears to be uninterested. You may have to rig the trap so that it does not close at first so that he can enter and eat as you move the food further back into the trap behind the trip bar. It is at that point that I would use the KFC. Cover the wire bottom of the trap with cardboard as cats don't like the wire feeling beneath their feet.