Please help! something is wrong with my KITKAT

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4-5 month old cat name KIT she is my love.. but any how this is what happened.... today she was nipped by a friends dog and the dog hit her head pretty hard... I put kit in the bathroom for her protection, she didn't seem hurt, pissed but not hurt.  ( bathrrom has only her litterbox in there... ) when I let her out this is what she has been doing.... she came out a sniffed around, she seemed to be walking odd. and it got worse... she is stumbling around and her head is like vibrating....  she is eating, and drinking, still trying to play but falling over, not able to jump with her same old movements. I am scared to death I don't know what could be wrong... I found out that if she lost some whiskers that would cause falling over but I don't know about the head shakiness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, please take her to the vet. Dogs jaws are powerful and could have done some internal damage you can't see. She's probably pretty shocked by what happened too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the thing is she shows no pain at all or discomfort... loving on us as usual. and still my shadow... just drunk looking... my friend is a tech and spoke with her vet and he said it could be a cuncusion and the only think anyone can do is wait and see.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Concussion and shock can be fatal. Is there any way you could get her to a vet today? If you can't get her to a vet until tomorrow then keep her confined to a quiet spot today. Don't let her jump or climb, she might hurt herself. If she vomits or starts showing any other symptoms I suggest you get her to an ER vet as soon as you can.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that you said it's getting worse makes me think it's serious.  A professional should look at her.

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I should have explained better... It got worse but didn't continue to get worse. She can walk but is wobbly... And her head seems to vibrate. But other than that she seems completely normal... The Vet said to just watch and keep her confined and watch her closely and if she stops eating and drinking or gets lethargic to take her to the ER... She is still roaming around and trying to play and chase legs and yes still getting under my feet... She doesn't seem to have any discomfort at all just a wee drunk looking... We have absolutely no chemicals anyone could get into ( I keep it locked up in a room no one has acces to other than me and my husband) the vet tech that looked at her ( works for my vet lives next to me) said there is no temp, no lethargy and her eyes are responsive to light she told the vet who is a friend of hers and the vet said not to bring her in to the ER unless it gets worse... I just don't know how this would happen.... The only thing in that bathroom was her littler and my make up... My mom mentioned she could have lost a a few whiskers which can cause issues ( I thought this was something my parents told us as kids to keep us from pulling the cats whiskers ) her whiskers on one side do look messed up.

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I could post a video on here I would

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly can't take her to a vet tonight... We have three children and they already are expensive I love my kit but at the same time I have to feed my kids

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think it was anything in the bathroom that could have caused this. It's much more likely to be trauma from the dog bite. Losing whiskers can affect the way a cat navigates around things, but it wouldn't cause the head vibration.

Can you keep her confined to her carrier for tonight? She could fall and do more damage to herself.

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She actually y won't stay in a crate, it stresses her out to the max but she does sleep next to me all night on my pillow... According to my husband she doesn't really move all night. Right now she has claimed my sock drawer... She isn't falling over as much, more stumbling.. The thing with the dog happened about 12 hours ago and other than her obvious balance issues she is acting completely normal.. That's why the vet said to wait if she isn't getting worse.. Where I live a trip to the VET ER will run me in the ground financially.. So I can't really even attempt to do that with also having children to care for financially... If I didn't have kids I would go without eating to make sure she went to the vet... But I can't force my kids to give up for my Cat..right now she is asleep in my dresser ( normal bedtime) she just doesn't seem to want to be up high in my bed

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I understand, of course your kids come first. I hope it was just shock and she'll be back to normal soon. It's good to keep her down low if she's having trouble with her balance. Can you take her to your regular vet when they open? 

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is still having problems when they open I will be making an appointment. He mentioned that for reasons unknown cats can go threw this once or twice in there lives and no one knows why. He said if it clears up on t own than it is probably just a one time deal and to just watch for further symptoms ( I am very close with my vets and tech teams ) I have just never seen a cat do this before..

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is a lot better this morning... She ended up sleeping next to my pillow all night... ( she freaks out if she can't get to me) I woke up checked her and then got out of bed... She then jumped out of bed too, and has been running around playfully all morning.. She I walking ALOT better seems she isn't really dizzy any more the only thing really left is her head bobbing... She has really perked up a lot... Not really falling over at all

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your regular vet this morning and see what they think.  I'm glad she's better, but I still think her symptoms are a bit weird.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your kitten, I understand the financial burden associated with going to a vet. Is there anyway that the owner of the dog that did this can pay for the vet visit? I know if it was my dog, I would cover all your vet bills.

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I know they can't afford it. They are getting rid of the dog because they had just gotten him and the owners did not tell them he was wolf hybrid not that he was a cat killer, or that he tries to kill small dogs ( tried to eat her puppy last night) and then broke out the window and the ac and took off in the middle of the night. I know it sounds bad but I would have that dog put down because of his obvious issues I see him as unsafe..

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, I know they can't afford it. They are getting rid of the dog because they had just gotten him and the owners did not tell them he was wolf hybrid not that he was a cat killer, or that he tries to kill small dogs ( tried to eat her puppy last night) and then broke out the window and the ac and took off in the middle of the night. I know it sounds bad but I would have that dog put down because of his obvious issues I see him as unsafe..
Poor dog! I understand that it's impossible to keep a dog like that but I feel really sorry for animals that suffer because of irresponsible people. 

Glad to hear Kitkat is doing better. The head bobbing is a bit worrying. Did the dog shake her? I wonder if it could have caused nerve damage in her neck.

awill0003

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He didn't get a hold of her, I was way too quick for him to even get his teeth in her... He only got to ram her in the head... Her head quit bobbing today... She is mad now because a client of mine ( I'm a groomer) ended up dumping a HUGE fixed male ragdoll cat on me... He is a gentle giant that she let get over grown to the point he was close to skin rot due to the severity of his matting... She is hissing up a storm because she has never been around another cat before... But he ignores her hissing and walks away.. He let me shave him down and let me bath him... Not a single scratch on me so I know he isn't going to hurt her, he even let our dog near him ( he is at least 25 pounds and dwarfs kit) so she is freaked by him right now... But she will calm down when she sees he is harmless... She is part bob cat so she has always been a bit distrusting