Please Help - Sisters Who Don't Like Each Other Anymore

beththevampire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, Daenerys (Dany) and Brienne. We have had then since they were seven months old, and they are now four years old. They were found abandoned together, and have barely spent a moment apart since I have had them.

Then yesterday, I had to take Dany to the vet to get her teeth cleaned. She was gone for a few hours and quite distressed. She pooped in the car carrier on her way home. But she seems to be over that now. However, since she came home, her and her sister cannot be in the same room as each other. They hiss whenever they see one another, they growl, and they're hiding at opposite ends of the house. I know there was likely a smell issue, with Danny off at the vet and coming back smelling like anathesia and other animals. We didn't realise it would be this bad.

We've tried separating them but leaving a door slightly open so they can still see each other, feeding them in the same room just at opposite ends, and rubbing a towel on one and then the other so they can get used to the scent. Nothing has worked. My husband and I are at separate ends of the home so we can be with each of them and show no preferences, but it's been over 24 hours now and there has been no change at all. I know this can take a while, but they loved each other, would always sleep on top of one another, and play constantly. It's really upsetting me to see them in this way. What can I do??

Thanks in advance!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
When one cat goes to the vet, leaving one or more other cats behind, it is absolutely normal and common for all of the cats to be stressed and hissy with one another. The returning kitty is stressed because she had the scary car ride and vet visit. The other cat or cats are stressed because the vet kitty came home smelling different.

Unless an all out fur flying fight breaks, I would just leave them be and ignore the hissing. This might or might not help but in all likelihood within a few days they will get back to their normal relationship.

Lmd0524

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From the same experience, adopting 2 girls from the same litter, vet visits with out the other leave a rift. I promise it gets better but it can take a few days. Lots of treats, play time, love and time is the only advice I can offer. Hang in there, sounds like you're doing everything you can. Good luck

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dab a little natural vanilla extract (natural stuff, not the chemical substitute) under each of their chins - it will mask any vet smells and essentially make them smell the same to each other.

Cats recognise one another by scent first and foremost. Vet visits can make a cat smell of the vet, which makes them unfamiliar, and have a scent that most other cats associate with a not particularly great experience. Vanilla is recommended because it is harmless to cats and is a smell they mostly quite like, so using it can sort of neutralise any "you smell of the vet" disagreements.