Please help! Sisters cat has woken up with sores/swollen lip

Maddie2611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
Hoping for a bit of clarity for my sister - it’s a Sunday here and there’s not really any emergency vets around and money is tight at the moment.

Her three year old cat has developed a weird patch/sore at the side of her mouth and under her nose. Does anyone know what it could possibly be? A trip to the vet is definitely on the cards - I think she just needs a bit of hope that it’s not the end of the world.
Please help/let me know if you’ve seen this before!
7A0E2EA0-26E6-4622-BA45-ADBE2AADA2B6.png

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she is seeing a vet hopefully tomorrow. The vet will know more what needs to be done.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I don't think it is the end of the world - and it may just be an eosinophilic ulcer, often referred to as an indolent ulcer, normally brought on by some sort of allergy or bacteria. It is very treatable but might recur if the cause isn't determined. Here is an article (see link belwo) on the family of eosinophilic granuloma complex skin disorders, including the indolent ulcer.

If your sister uses plastic bowls for food and water, have her replace them with stainless steel or ceramic, and keep them cleaned often. There are cats who have developed these ulcers due to the plastic harboring bacteria since it is porous material.
Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex | International Cat Care (icatcare.org)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maddie2611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I don't think it is the end of the world - and it may just be an eosinophilic ulcer, often referred to as an indolent ulcer, normally brought on by some sort of allergy or bacteria. It is very treatable but might recur if the cause isn't determined. Here is an article (see link belwo) on the family of eosinophilic granuloma complex skin disorders, including the indolent ulcer.

If your sister uses plastic bowls for food and water, have her replace them with stainless steel or ceramic, and keep them cleaned often. There are cats who have developed these ulcers due to the plastic harboring bacteria since it is porous material.
Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex | International Cat Care (icatcare.org)
Hello! Thank you so much for your response. Has been to the vet - you’re bang on! Kitty has had an injection and is now going to be on the mend. Thank you again :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maddie2611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad she is seeing a vet hopefully tomorrow. The vet will know more what needs to be done.
she’s been to the vet and is hopefully on the mend! Thanks for your response :)