Please Help! Sick Cat Refuses Liquid Medicine

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is sick and needs to take liquid medicine and it is actually impossible to make him take any! I just don't know what to do anymore. He needs the medicine to get rid of a parasite.

If you guys can give any tips on giving liquid medicine to cats or your own experiences that would be so helpful!

I have tried so many different things! In fact we are on our second prescription since he refused to take enough of the first. I have attempted to wrap him in a towel, held him, put it in his food, have two people hold him down, serve with his favorite treats but nothing ever works. Half of the medicine ends up on the floor/on me and the other half he spits out. He claws bites and scratches me and hides away. And now he hates me and runs away whenever I come near :(

Please please help!!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you squirting it in the side of the mouth? I've had a stubborn cat I have to burrito in a towel and squirt in the side of the mouth. Another option is call the vet and ask if there's a shot instead.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I do is sit my cat on the bathroom counter facing away from me. I hold him close to my body and slide the syringe into the corner of his mouth between his teeth and cheek as far back as I can. I hold his head up so his nose is pointing almost straight up and then slowly squirt little amounts of the medicine in, allowing him time to swallow.

What is the name of the medicine? You can ask the vet if the medicine can be compounded with flavoring or into another form or if there is an alternative medicine you can use to get rid of the parasites. I don't think a shot exists that gets rid of parasites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys ill try all of this. The medicine is called panacure. My main problem is that though those are good ideas I just can't control him! I can't even wrap him in a towel. He squirms away! He hates being touched/handled in any way---not to mention manhandling him to force medicine on him! But I am going to try all of this tomorrow and will give an update! Paws crossed!!