Please help, scratchy cat wit red crusts on back.

gulbeseker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thanks for helping. My son started to get itchy for the past couple of days and today i found out crusty inflamed like spots on his back. I am extremely concerned and down with the flu today. Should i rush to the vet or can he wait for a day or two?
Do you have any idea of what this is? By the way i oiled the area to sooth and be able to see what was going on. He is a pretty much wild cat and doesnt let me touch him thoroughly.
20191227_133843.jpg
20191227_133837.jpg
20191227_133818.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More then likely an allergenic reaction to something he developed. Has he been treated for fleas lately? Fleas can cause a reaction like that, as can the treatment itself. You can get a wound dressing (make sure it is for cats) at any farm supply store, or pet section, that can help with the soreness and itchiness. I get mine at Tractor Supply. It may be he is developing a reaction to something in his food. My little girl gets spots like that that, they develop into big round sores everytime she eats something that is mostly fish. You might want to slowly eliminate some foods and see what is bothering him. If it gets a lot worse, an injection of steroids the next time you go to the vet would help any inflammation. It is really hard to pinpoint exacxtly what it is. I wish you luck in finding out what it is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gulbeseker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, thanks for answering. I ve been waiting in agony since i posted, he is an indoor cat and i never had flea issues with him but last week I had an upholstery service clean the sofas and the man said he saw fleas around. Also he doesnt like any stangers inside, he gets so much stressed about it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat is ok to wait a few days to see the vet. The wound thing isn't an emergency. If there's an urgent care vet clinic (yes, there are ones for pets now but probably not too many of them yet), you could bring your cat in to be seen and then follow up with the regular vet.

Itchy skin can cause a cat to scratch to the point where a wound is caused. Common causes of itchy skin are to something in food, environmental, and parasites. Did you notice and scratching or wounds before you had the sofas cleaned? If not, I wonder if the scratching is caused by a reaction to the cleaning agents used on the sofa. The presence of a stranger in the home is enough for some cats to get super stressed out that they actually injure themselves.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To look to see if he has fleas (which is likely if the cleaning people saw signs) get him relaxed and try to get him turned over, belly up. Part the fur around where his legs join his body, fur is very thin here and it easier to look for fleas. you have to look quick, they are very fast moving, black and shiny and moving fast. you will have to wash everything you can, your and his beeding, ect., and get a spray (usually found in carpet cleaning sections or pet sections) that you can kill the eggs and fleas with. Then two weeks later, spray and wash again because some eggs are very resistant and will hatch out. Good luck, i hope everything goes well! PS read the instructions carefully and lock your cat up somewhere until things get done with spraying or sprinkling powder, the spray itself while in the air or still wet can hurt your cat.

gulbeseker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again everyone, I just came from the vet, he said it is some kind of an allergic reaction and we could give him an allergy shot for it. I bought a sterilisation lotion to clean the area with and also got a topical flea treatment and applied it on the back of the neck. I so much thank you for stopping by and reading for us. We are very grateful,i will keep you updated, thank you all,love you...
The cat is ok to wait a few days to see the vet. The wound thing isn't an emergency. If there's an urgent care vet clinic (yes, there are ones for pets now but probably not too many of them yet), you could bring your cat in to be seen and then follow up with the regular vet.

Itchy skin can cause a cat to scratch to the point where a wound is caused. Common causes of itchy skin are to something in food, environmental, and parasites. Did you notice and scratching or wounds before you had the sofas cleaned? If not, I wonder if the scratching is caused by a reaction to the cleaning agents used on the sofa. The presence of a stranger in the home is enough for some cats to get super stressed out that they actually injure themselves.
Oh he spent a lot of time on those sofas after they dried up completely. Maybe that was an irritant or something? Ive never thought of this. Could rubbing olive or coconut oil help? What do you think? Thank you so much.

gulbeseker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To look to see if he has fleas (which is likely if the cleaning people saw signs) get him relaxed and try to get him turned over, belly up. Part the fur around where his legs join his body, fur is very thin here and it easier to look for fleas. you have to look quick, they are very fast moving, black and shiny and moving fast. you will have to wash everything you can, your and his beeding, ect., and get a spray (usually found in carpet cleaning sections or pet sections) that you can kill the eggs and fleas with. Then two weeks later, spray and wash again because some eggs are very resistant and will hatch out. Good luck, i hope everything goes well! PS read the instructions carefully and lock your cat up somewhere until things get done with spraying or sprinkling powder, the spray itself while in the air or still wet can hurt your cat.
Aw Ive never thought fleas are this much serious. How come did he get infected I dont understand, he never goes out. But we have a cattle herd and i wash clothes from there occasionally. Maybe fleas migrated there.