Please Help Our 18-year-old Cat! Mysterious Illness!

OurMiracle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pet Parents: Please help! Our 18-year-old cat has squamous cell carcinoma under his tongue. We put him on chemotherapy. After a month, the Palladia (chemotherapy medication) was successful. His tumor did not get bigger. It got smaller and the inflammation went down. One week later, he started to get sick. He definitely had a flare up of pancreatitis (which he had once before.) He will not eat and has lost weight. They cannot find anything wrong with him. He has other known health conditions that we have treated. We syringe feed him and willingly eats with no difficulty. We do not know what else do. Has anyone else had this issue with their cat? Please help us save our cat. His cancer is under control. His oncologist thought that it was the chemotherapy, but we have temporarily stopped it. He has not declined or got any better. Please help! What is wrong with him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Kudos to you for what you have done for your cat! You know, you have brought up an interesting issue relative to the lack of appetite. I know, sadly, from many humans who have gone through chemo that it can destroy the desire to eat, and also 'kill' taste buds. However, I have not heard much about this aspect for cats. But I do believe there must be a correlation.

First off, sometimes depending on the severity with pancreatitis, sub-Q fluids are often administered to help 'flush' out the system, and in some cases pain meds are offered as that can be an issue as well.

While the tendency is to go for smelly foods, maybe that is a turn off too? I would try baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) as many cats who don't feel 'up to par' will eat them willingly. They are not nutritionally complete for cats, so not a long, long-term use, but can sometimes stimulate eating. Have you also tried Hill's A/D Recovery food (available in most vets' offices)? It, too, seems to simulate a cat's appetite and is nutritionally complete.