PLEASE HELP! New cat is attacking old cat

jennyjenn14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom had two cats, Gracie and Boo Bear, who were siblings and lived with her since they were kittens.  After 11 years, Gracie became ill and had to be put down.  My mom and Boo Bear were both very upset by the loss, and after a couple of months mom decided to bring in a new cat.  She intentionally adopted an adult cat named Sadie, who was four years old and had lived her entire life so far as an only cat with an older woman who recently died.  Mom thought bringing Sadie in with her cat would work out, because Boo Bear is the most meek and sweetest cat you'd ever meet (and also very large/overweight). Mom has never once seen him hiss, growl or puff up in fear.  When Gracie would do such things over the years (or my cat when I'd visit), he'd just stand back and act intimidated until they moved on. 

Sadie seemed nice enough - a very affectionate and talkative little cat. When she first met Boo Bear she hissed and growled some, which mom expected. But she came around after a day or two and seemed to be living with him just fine. However, things quickly began to change.  Sadie has now become extremely aggressive to Boo Bear anytime he tries to do anything, particularly using the litterbox.  She could be sound asleep, but if she hears him in the box scratching, she will zip in there and charge him. Mom thought at first she was just being playful, but last night while mom was sleeping this happened, and she actually attacked Boo Bear.  Mom heard screaming (not sure by who) and ran in there to find Sadie tearing in to Boo Bear, and his black fur all over the bathroom.  He then started having a sneezing fit (not sure if something got in his nose or if it was from anxiety), but she said he could not stop and catch his breath for the longest time. It terrified mom since he is older and so overweight - she was scared he was about to have a heart attack or something from the ordeal. 

She's not sure what to do. She does not want to send Sadie back to the shelter but she's terrified to ever leave them alone. When she runs errands she'll put one in her bedroom, but it's not ideal if she and my dad go out of town for a couple of days (which they often do).  

Does anyone have any advice on how she can address Sadie's behavior? To actually stop her in the act is nearly impossible since she darts in there like lightning when she hears him scratching.  She does the same thing if she hears him scratching his post. I'm scared she'll start doing it when he tries to eat next.  

Thanks for any potential ideas or advice!

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First things that comes to mind is did your mom do the introduction process with the new cat?

No matter how "nice" a cat seems, they should still be put through the process.

This site has a lot of wonderful information on how to go through the introduction if you check out some stickys.

I also read they go out of town a lot.  I'll warn you that new introduction can be anywhere from a few to several months depending on the cats.  They might want to hold off on any trips till the cats are more comfortable with each other. Change can really stress out a cat.

Also when it comes to litter boxes how many are there?

The formula is 1 for each cat + 1 extra.  So there should be 3 litter boxes for two cats or they might fight over litter boxes.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats often need a very slow introduction.  By just placing them together and hoping for the best is often a road to destruction.  It can take weeks to months to many months for cats to learn to coexist.  It takes patience and work.  Cats are very territorial by nature and when a new one is brought in, it completely upsets the apple cart.  Make sure you have a safe room for the new kitty.  The cats need to be completely separated for the introduction period.  Even though the resident cat is meek and mild, cats are all about dominance and territory.  Your Mom will need to work through the steps that I will post below.  The biggest mistake people make is rushing the process.  If you Mom just wants them to magically get along and is not willing to work with the cats, then it is a possibility the cats will fight and one will get injured.  When your Mom is not home, the cats need to be separated.  THey should not be left out alone. 

Here are a few articles and a video on cat to cat intros.  Please pass them along to your Mom

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/