Please Help!! Need Some Advice With Abandoned Kittens!!!

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay guys, I've posted on this site before when I originally got my two kittens, (Penelope & Unsub,) about 1 & a half years ago & you all were so great with providing me with helpful advice & feedback. So here I am again except it's a little different this time..
My good friend & neighbor Laura showed up at my door today with a box in her hands asking me for help. When I looked inside I saw the two smallest kittens I've EVER seen in my life. These guys are seriously so tiny that their eyes are still closed & their embellical cords are still attached, I've put hot water into water bottles & put them in a bed with the kittens to keep them warm & I also had Laura go to the pet store & pick up some formula. I weighed the kittens (one weighs almost 3.5 ounces & the other one weighs 3.2 ounces) so I made their bottles accordingly but I ended up having to use a needleless syringe to get them to eat. I guess my questions for you guys are
-Should I feed them small amounts at a time even though they're starving? I don't want to overwhelm them.
-Should I be worried about my cats that I already have (Penelope & Unsub)? Contracting any diseases or anything like that?
-& Any other advice in general you think might be able to give me is highly appreciated.
I want these little guys to survive but I'm worried about how small they are & how hard it's been trying to get them to eat. Thank you everyone in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really not sure. Ill post some pictures.

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats that I've had for awhile (Unsub & Penelope) are now hissing at me if I try to get near them or pet them!! Is this normal & will it pass?? I don't want my cats to start hating me. I would hate to have to try & find these kittens a new foster home but idk what else to do if my own cats end up hating me for it!! :( please help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cats are jealous! It's a normal reaction. They will get over it in time.

Be sure to keep the kittens in an area where your cats cannot get to them.

Feed the kittens 2-3mLs every 2 hours around the clock - yes, through the night. You'll have to set your clock. If they want more they can have more. That's a minimum.

You'll need to stimulate the kittens to pee and poop.

Where were they found?

If umbilical cords are still on they are less than a week old.

Thanks for helping! :)

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were found in a ditch right by their dead mom & siblings :( (heartbreaking I know) it was apparent that a raccoon or something of the like had gotten to them & I guess weren't interested in these two. Now when I first got Penelope & Unsub, they were barely 3 weeks old so I did have to bottle/syringe feed them as well. So I am prepared for very little sleep over the next few days. I just wanted to know I guess if there was anything else I should be doing that I'm not already. Do you think they weigh enough or are they malnourished? Like I said, one is 3.5 ounces & the other is about 3.3 ounces. Thank you guys so much.

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they are maybe a day old tops. Their eyes are shut, can't walk, & umbilical cords are still very long & new!! I'm just sad that these babies were taken away from momma so early.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you do have knowledge since earlier, how to take care of orphans.

Yes, begin with small portions but often, go into more regular later on when they are stabilized for sure - and them used to this yours feeding. :) It will be aroudn 25 ml kmr / goats milk a day, for the moment, increasing with time as they grow. Healthy kittens add typically 10+ grammes a day (its 1/3 + of Oz).

As we KNOW they are orphaned by accident / assault, and not by some disease, we may presume they are reasonably healthy. Just orphans. Although they may have the parasites and worms kittens born outside may have. This means, raising of them should be fairly easy - its much easier to raise orphans than say, sick weakly kittens...

But anyways, do keep some quarantine into your residents. If they were motherly oriented caretakers, we would perhaps ponder a little to let them be foster mommas.
But as they are hissing, we dont need to think about it.
So.
You dont need to ge into extremes of quarantine, as they are essentially healthy, but do have them separated yes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights are very healthy. They need to gain a minimum of 6-10 grams each per day. More is even better. Good you have experience! :)

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Thank you both so much!! & Yes having some experience really helped alot!! Although Unsub & Penelope weren't this little when we got them. They were about 3-4 weeks old.
Still had to bottle feed, stimulate, keep warm etc... But I wasn't as worried then just because these 2 I have now are just sooo tiny!! Lol. Is it possible you guys could make a rough estimate on age based on the photos I posted above or do I need to post better ones?

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last two pictures I just posted are of my cats Unsub (the black&white one) & Penelope (the grey&white one) when we first brought them home at about 3-4 weeks old.

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's Unsub. Pic was taken about a month or so ago. He is HUGE!!! Especially compared to his sister Penelope. He's barely 1 & a half years old & he was the runt!! He loves showing off his huge belly & getting yummy runs :) he is very much a mommas boy!!

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
& That is Penelope. This pic was taken about a week ago. (& Yes, she tucked herself in ALL ON HER OWN LOL!) I swear she's been the same size for the last year now! She is alot more independent & only wants people to pet her on HER terms & you can forget about holding her! Haha. She is extremely agile & fast & LOVES the red laser! :)
Anyways, I am sorry for posting so many pictures & for going wayyy off track of the original post.. I just really love both my cats & like showing them off to the world! Hope you guys don't mind :)