Please help, need ideas, suggestions!

fizzgig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! So my sisters and I each have a cat: I have a female cat named Fizz Gig, my sister Jessie has a male cat named Rebel, my sister Shannon has a male cat named Bee (all 3 about 3 years old and we have had them since they were little). A little over a year ago my parents brought my grandma's male cat (Tuffy, about 13 years old) home when she had a stroke and passed away. Everyone is spayed or neutered. So our set up is Tuffy stays in the den with his own litter box, food, and water. There is a baby gate across the door that stays up all the time (he doesn't get along with all the other cats and while there is no longer any fighting through the gate - a long slow process to get to this stage - any time we let him out of the den he starts spraying things outside of the den so this is another work in progress), so Tuffy never leaves the den unless he is closely supervised. As for the other 3, all 3 have their own litter box, food, and water in each of our bedrooms. Typically during the day all of our bedroom doors stay open and they all get to roam the house and eat from each others food and use each others boxes, this is how things have been for as long as we have had these 3. Well sometime this fall we noticed that someone of the 3 young ones started peeing in my dads reclining chair, so we started leaving 2 of the young ones locked in their respective rooms during the day and letting 1 roam trying to narrow down who was peeing in the chair rotating who was left out. We did eventually figure out that Rebel had a severe UTI got him treated and the peeing seemed to stop. So my sisters gave me the cat food they had left and got the urinary tract formula food for their cats and mom switched Tuffy to urinary tract formula food since male cats are more prone to UTIs. So my door stays closed unless I am in my room until all of the other food is gone and Fizz gets to wander the house during the day and eats the other food and at night is closed in my room with me. Soooo now down to the current problem.........shortly after New Years someone peed in dads reclining chair again, it was mostly  dry when it was found in the morning and Rebel and Fizz had been closed in their respective rooms during the night so we suspect it was Bee but we are not sure. My mom found pee in an antique metal toy truck (its big enough the cats can lay in the bed of the truck) when she moved it the next day. Well today when I got home from work not only did we find moms reclining chair peed on but I also found multiple pee spots on the dogs new barely used dog bed (shes an older dog who is having trouble with these colder temperatures so we are trying to get her to lay on thicker dog beds). We use the cleaners meant for cat urine and clean up any spots we find as soon as we find them, the litter boxes are kept clean and they have access to at least 2 of them all day long and there own overnight. We suspect that the one who is peeing is Bee, he is definitely the dominant one of the bunch and Shannon has been dating someone the last few months and is very rarely home. Not only was Bee the only one not locked up when we suspect the first one happened but we had just come home from our New Years get away (which the cats go to and have every year we have had them and they also go there periodically throughout the rest of the year when we go there) and Shannon left for a week, came home for a few hours today and left again and there is at least 1 new fresh pee spot that we found tonight (the chair), but we have no way to prove that Bee did it. Our current solution is to leave Rebel and Fizz locked in there respective rooms all day long unless they are supervised and see if any new spots show up since Bee is the one we think doing it. SO is there any way to tell which cat is doing this without actually seeing them do it besides leaving 2 locked up at all times until a mess shows up? Is there any reasons that one of them would be doing this beyond UTIs? They are each definitely peeing and using the box. The only major recent changes have been my sister never being home, everyone elses schedules/routines have remained the same. Sorry this post is so long but any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Peanut pees on our stuff whenever he's upset about something. Usually if his litter gets to dirty, but he also did it because he didn't like the cover on his litterbox, he wanted a bigger box (got him an under the bed storage tote - he's a big guy) and when we had some remodeling going on. Only once has he done it because of a UTI and he's 13.

My other cat Angel poops when she's upset so I've never had to figure out which one is upset. I'm not sure what to do for that but it sounds like you're pretty sure already.

Is anyone playing with Bee or giving him extra attention while your sister is gone? That could be why he's peeing. I would start by giving him some extra attention while she is gone. If that doesn't help then you'll need to try other things. Maybe he doesn't want to share his box anymore or if you have a covered box uncover it (they keep the smell in and make it stinky for the cats). Also, a vet visit would help rule out a UTI or another health problem.

Do they get wet food or just dry? Wet food really helps prevent urinary problems. It's an easy way to get them more fluids. Some cats don't drink enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fizzgig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
petcrazy76 thanks for your reply :). Bee has no problems going in any of the litter boxes, in fact he tries to be the first one to use the any of the litter boxes as soon as they are scooped/changed, even if we scoop/change all 3 at the same time he still tries to use all 3 before any of the other cats. Fizz lets me know when she is pissed at  me by pooping in one specific spot when I am home and when I can see her, I have even had her do it as I am scooping her box, usually its when I have been dog sitting a lot and haven't been home much. We have had a cat in the past who got UTIs any time he was stressed out and one of the first signs was him trying to pee on soft things, blankets, dog beds, etc. We have been trying to give him extra attention, he doesn't like anyone but my sister to hold him (he is tense and pushing away from you if you pick him up/hold him). We play some with him and he gets to sleep in my parents room with them at night now when my sister isn't home (the door stays cracked open so he can leave the room and get to his litter box). I have tried letting him sleep in my room in the past with me, Fizz and our dog, and while it goes alright I don't like doing it because Bee is very dominant (even though he's neutered) and he already has Fizz almost scared to enter my room, while she comes into my room all the time, she enters slowly and cautiously looking to be attacked and I have seen him attack her in my room and chase her out even while she's running away hissing (he has never hurt her, but has pulled fur out, I keep telling her that she weighs about 5 pounds more than him and can take him but she doesn't fight back). We do feed just dry food, Fizz flat out will not eat wet food, I keep trying different flavors and name brands and nope won't touch it but I see her drink water all the time, Rebel is fed dry food and wet food both although he doesn't care for the wet food he eats a little, Bee gets fed dry food but usually finishes off whatever wet food Rebel doesn't eat. We can try giving him more attention and see that helps anything, thanks again!