Please help, my kitten burned his paws!

Mishkabear327

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten burned his paws today on the wood stove. His pads have bad blisters, are red and black singed in some places. Every chance he gets, he lays with his pads up off the surface where he lays. He is generally playing and still acting like the curious active kitten that he is, but every once in a while, I can tell he is at least uncomfortable, if not in pain. Should I be worried? Should I take him to the vet?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor kitty! That sounds painful.

Yes, please take him to a vet. Burn blisters can become infected very easily, so he will need antibiotics. There are also antiseptic creams and protective bandages that can be applied to burns to help the healing process. Cats are very good at hiding pain, so if he seems uncomfortable to you he is probably suffering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mishkabear327

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, poor kitty! That sounds painful.

Yes, please take him to a vet. Burn blisters can become infected very easily, so he will need antibiotics. There are also antiseptic creams and protective bandages that can be applied to burns to help the healing process. Cats are very good at hiding pain, so if he seems uncomfortable to you he is probably suffering.
Thank you for the advice. I will try and get my parents to let me take him to the vet.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you need help finding a low cost vet in your area just let us know which city/state you live in and we'll try and help.

Please keep us updated on how things go with your kitten.

:heartshape:

Mishkabear327

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you. Yes that would be very helpful. I live in Alaska Delta Junction. The vet clinic here is currently closed because the vet there passed away. I live two hours away from the nearest vet clinic that's open.
And also, the blisters on my cats paws have gotten bigger.

Mishkabear327

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Btw, we cant take him to the vet. We cant afford it, we live two hours away from the nearest vet and the roads are really bad. It's 40 below and it's snowing. What do I do?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
24 Hour Emergency Vet Clinics in Delta Junction, Alaska | Emergency Veterinarian

1 Veterinarians and Animal Hospitals in Delta Junction, Alaska

Here's a couple of vets you could try. I suggest you call the vets and explain the situation. They might be able to suggest something you can buy OTC to treat the kittens paws with. Some vets have a home service, so it would be worth inquiring about that.

Your kitten is going to need vet care. Not only to treat his burnt paws, but for vaccines and neuter surgery. Cats can be expensive to care for, but you really need to make sure you get him vaccinated and neutered. You'll need a regular vet to treat him for any of the other problems that can arise.

This article might help.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

But please call a vet in your area and ask what they suggest. Some medicines that are suitable for humans can be used on cats too, but it's really important that you only use the products that a vet has told you are safe!