Please help my girl cat recognize her brofur after being out overnight

catmamalover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any intuitive cat communicators here? I'd like to ask about my 2 cats? 1 got out 1 nite-his sisfur now hisses like she doesn't know him and it's breaking my heart emoticon . How can I help? Unfortunately my husband and I don't have the ability to separate them for a night or 2, like put 1 in another room. They are used to sleeping on our bed or in my hubby's office chair and they eat from the same dish and drink from the same water. I don't want to interrupt their routine. How can I help her feel more comfortable around him and remember her brofur?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try taking a clean cloth for each cat and rub them all over with it, focusing on the jaw, chin and cheeks. The aim is to saturate each cloth with one cat's scent.

When you've done this, add a touch of vanilla extract to each cloth, then rub the cats down again - but this time swap the cloths over (so sister gets rubbed with brother's scent and vice versa). The aim is to make them smell alike.

All that's happened is that your little boy smells different after his adventure, and so his sister doesn't quite recognise him. This is more commonly seen after vet visits, but any smell change can trigger it.

If this trick doesn't work, you're going to have to separate and reintroduce them. :cross: that that won't be necessary.