Please help! My 17 year old cat is...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what your getting at here. I don't think anybody likes the over powering smell of urine. I also said that if it was my elderly cat I would work hard to deal with it. Please don't qoute one sentence when there was more involved.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If one of my cats was elderly and started to reek up the house I would really work hard to deal with it. I had a 17/18 year old cat that had CRF I rescued her when she was a baby. We gave her sub-q for a year to keep her going, the cost was minimal since the vet showed us how. She didn't smell up the house with urine odor, but for some reason she quit pooping in her litter box. I had to put newspaper out by the litterboxes for her to poop on the newspaper. I cleaned up after her many times a day and would do it again. She put up with me for 18 years and I told her no matter what I would always do the same for her until her little body could no longer sustain life.
Ditto! These are issues you deal with you have a sick/elderly pet. No offense to anyone, but these are also issues you may have to deal with concerning a sick/elderly relative. If you love & care for someone/something, you will go the extra mile to adapt to the situation.
When my Ms. Willie was about 19 she lost her eyesight. My Mickey decided to terrorize her everytime she was in the litterbox. Her solution was to avoid the litterbox completely. This went on for 2 years, until she died at age 21.
I cleaned up after her, and would not hesitate to do it again. I've also had CRF kitties that required extra cleaning detail. It's just what you do.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well...my 2 or 3 (depending on how many cats I have at the time) litter boxes are in my basement, but my mother swears she smells cat feces when she walks in my house (which is not real often, I might add). My 19-year-old cat did a great job ruining carpets before she died a year ago - maybe that was the problem. But I agree, you deal with it (no matter what your husband and mother say!)

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have any smell here but I did in my old place with Yoshi before he died.
He peed all over no matter what we tried.
My husband wnated me to get rid of Yoshi but I refused.
I was about to try feliway before he died.

catwhisperer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...thank you, everyone, for your replies!...i didn't mean to "single out" anyone with the direct quote that i quoted.

I do refuse to give details behind my question, as they're irrelevent to you, the readers. In reading your several replies and the certain conditions that you state and accept, i will offer this detail: how do i clean up urine that i can't get to?...it is in an area where a cat or small dog can fit, but i can't!...i witnessed it (the urination) yesterday morning, and this morning...

Does the urine just "go along with" the sale of my home someday?! If you were looking to buy a home, and it wreaked of urine, would you want to buy it?!!

(I'm prob'ly opening up another can of worms, here... This will invoke interesting reading, i'm sure!... [grin] )

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm confused as to why you can't get to the area where your cat has peed. there are many fantastic products on the market that will take away the smell of urine and you could also try looking up natural methods online.

i am in agreement with everyone else here that we should do all we can for our elderly and/or sick pets. i think abbycats post summed all of that up beautifully.

what are you asking now? why the question regarding the sale of your house?

catwhisperer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...as clarification to your confusion, the urination is taking place, as i said, where a cat or small dog can crawl under (a heating system in the basement), and i can't fit under it to clean it up, let alone treat it with any sprays or odor-absorbing powders. (It's against the wall and close to the floor). Additionally, I'm also NOT selling the house because of this situation at hand. I live with this notion that there will be an eventual moving day at some point (to live simpler), however, and i'm fearful odors would linger, and i'm the type of individual who puts my best foot forward to present my home in the best way possible - hopefully in move-in condition.

...that's all (my intentions were)...

I do reiterate thanks to everyone for your viewpoints...i asked for them!...thank you for sending them my way!

Originally Posted by tab

i'm confused as to why you can't get to the area where your cat has peed.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE...as clarification to your confusion, the urination is taking place, as i said, where a cat or small dog can crawl under (a heating system in the basement), and i can't fit under it to clean it up, let alone treat it with any sprays or odor-absorbing powders. (It's against the wall and close to the floor).][/quote]

Seems to me that if a cat can fit under something so can a mop head. If that won't fit, there's always a long stick with a rag attached. If that won't fit, there are all-natural deodorizers. And lastly, you could close off access to this small area; if you need air circulation use a baby-gate (or 2).

This question has me wondering what's going on with Edgar? Something about these questions has my brain going in a direction I don't like.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby74
use a baby-gate (or 2).

...GREAT IDEA!!...it would take several, but yeah, that would work! THANKS! (2 [or 3, or 4] heads are better than one!...)
Small garden fencing or chicken wire would probably work as well and cost a lot less.