Please Help! Mommy Cat Just Had Kittens

Ang143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello I am new to this so bare with me please I am just trying to find some help my cat had kittens on Friday night I’ve never had a cat that had kittens before but it did look as though she did great birthing them and and cleaning them they seem to be feeding sometimes I do have to put them on her to get started but she’s in her own private room so she also might be doing it on her own I just don’t seen i was scared that they weren’t eating or getting any milk but a lot of people reassured me they most likely are, NOW my worry is I haven’t seen her licking them to help them go pee and poop she also might be doing that and I’m just not seeing it I don’t know and I don’t want to interfere hen it’s not needed please help someone I would really appreciate it. (And yes right after Christmas as soon as I get the money together I am getting her spayed ASAP)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, take a deep breathe. Then get a small scale that weighs down to zero, like a food scale. Then weigh the babies twice a day, if they are gaining weight they are eating. Feel the babies abdomens, do they seem distended or too tight? Get a warm, wet washcloth and rub under one babies tail in a circular motion to see if it will pee/poo. If it goes a LOT. then maybe she isn't, but it is so ingrained in a mama cat, I can't imagine she isn't doing it. The best thing to do is try to spend a little more time observing her and see what is actually going on. If you could borrow a baby cam from anyone or even buy a cheap one on a buy and sale radio show, that would even be better, you could watch and not even be in there. It takes a full day or a couple for the real milk to come in, just like with humans, they are getting colostrum right now, which is needed for immune health and is very rich. Eventually she will clean the babies in front of you, try to watch especially just after they eat. I pray everything is going well, any doubts or questions at all post right back!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is probably licking them. A digital scale from Walmart will let you know if they are gaining, as Di and Bob said. They need to gain at least 6-10 grams per day. More is always better!

Do not spay mom until the kittens are 8 weeks old. In the meantime, do not let mom outside until she is spayed.

We would love to see pictures! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ang143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou so much for your advice I have noticed them getting bigger I didn't get a scale yet I will be getting one ASAP and I have seen her licking one so I assume she is licking all of thecm,and I did try observing her a little more but it’s kind of tough, my 4 year old cries to be around the kittens and I can tell mommy cat doesn't like when she comes around. So when i woke up yesterday morning and went in the room she’s in...the kittens weren’t their I couldn’t find them I panicked and then I finally found them on a pile of baby clothes in the corner of the room, I haven’t moved them, but my son does need his room back (yes she had them in his closet it’s the most private room in the house I live in a apartment with not a lot of privacy anywhere)so i was thinking about setting up a private spot in my bedroom closet for them I just don’t know if I should move them. I am just so worried I am going to do something wrong or I’m not doing enough I would be so upset if a kitten didn’t make it! Well again I thank you so much for the advice and support and not making me feel horrible that my cat isn’t spayed yet and got pregnant and I’m in this situation (because people have been making me feel bad they don’t know that I have went to take her I just haven’t had the money to get it done) and then she snuck out like 2 times and. NOw I’m here.

Ang143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou so much I will definitely take your advice and I don’t have that good of pictures I will post the ones i have it’s just their so dark their so hard to see right now

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can move them to your room, make sure mama is locked in your room with them. It sounds like a perfect spot. Close supervision with that 4 year old, she has no concept yet on fragile kittens and one squeeze could be tragic. It may be best for you to hold the kitten and let her stroke it with one finger. I hope you can keep her out of your room, it is not going to be easy!
Those kittens are absolutely beautiful, congratulations! Give mama a kiss from me!

Ang143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank-you! No it’s not going to be easy but I’ll make it work! I can say how proud I am of my cat it is truly an amazing thing what I watched her do all on her own (the birth and cleaning them)no guidance no doctors it was probably one of the best expirences besides having my own babies that I have been through lol I probably sound crazy ❤

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you are not crazy, 'cause that is how I feel too! My little female gave birth to 5, then 6, then 7!!!! I really didn't think she would ever get done. Then I worried they would all get enough to eat, I thought she had 6 nipples, but thank goodness she had 8!It was a wonderful experience.

Ang143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thankyou!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, what a proud mommy kitty and such beautiful babies! It seems that she has figured it all out but so you know, if you stimulate a "tiny", examine the pee for color; it should be pale and if it is beer color, the baby needs stimulation more often.
Peace and quiet are what they need now.
Glad that you plan to get her spayed - sometimes life happens. I had my first tame cat to give birth just this past spring; I adopted her already p.g. I had planned to have the pregnancy terminated anyway but the vet got sick and then the kittens came early; clearly it was meant to be. The last time that I had a cat give birth while in my care was in 1985!!
And welcome to TCS!:welcomesign:

Ang143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww well thankyou very much it’s really nice to have such nice people that are willing to give me advice because I’ve never been through this before! So it’s been 8 days and they seem healthy if their not with mommy their all cuddled laying on top of eachother. So you think if their ok by now that mommy’s doing everything right and they will be ok? Because I did notice she’s starting to leave them more weather it’s to lay with me or walk around the house.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should weigh the kittens daily. You can tell how they’re doing by how much they gain per day.

Ang143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou that’s so good to know her taking longer breaks from them is ok.

Ang143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I am sorry I need some more advice again, so I was watching tv and I heard this squeaking I ran to see where it was coming from and my cat was taking one of her kittens to a spot it’s behind my kids bunk beds its her favorite spot I know she feels the safest their it’s her go to spot since we got her, the only thing is the spot isn’t the safest, I can’t minitor the kittens back their so i took the kitten and put her back with the other kittens well 10 minutes Later she’s running by me again with another kitten in her mouth (one of cutest things in the world) goes back to the same spot and I give up so i sit their and watch her take all kittens 1 by 1 to the spot, I don’t know if I should keep them where she moved them or try moving them back to the closet in my room I have a feeling she’s just going to keep trying to move them back if I do. I can peek through the wall and bed and see them a little they seem good and comfy theirs a blanket their cuddled up on have no clue how this blanket got back their my mommy cat must have dragged it their which is so cool, well if theirs any idea if I should move them or let mommy be with her babies where she feels safe please let me know they are know 9 days old I can’t believe how big they’ve gotten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let her have the kittens in her preferred spot. It's fine. Mom feels more comfortable there.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The babies might be starting to pee on their own and she wants them to be in a clean nest. I would put them on a old towel on top of a puppy pad and then on top of the blanket. It is adorable that she dragged the blanket over to the new nest