please help, momma gave birth to one kitten & no more in 24 hrs +

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey y’all! :)
I’m so worried, my little Mia went into labor yesterday morning & had one kitten at 4:30am. It’s now 5:40am the next day, over 24 hrs, & still no more kittens. I know there’s more inside because I could still feel her tummy moving. She’s been nursing the first little one & cuddling it. She got out of her nest to eat & drink water a few hours ago, she was acting weird so I thought she was going into labor again but she just hopped back in with her first baby & that’s where they are now. I don’t know when I should take her to the vet or what I should do. I don’t even think the placenta came out with the first kitten either. I’m an anxious cat momma & could use some advice :( this is her first little by the way. She’s 1yr & 8mos & is a rather small cat. (photo attached)

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very normal to have an interval between kittens. I go by how mama is acting. If she is taking care of the kitten, eating/drinking/using the litterbox, everything is fine. Watch for contractions, rippling along her sides, or signs of straining, if no kittens in over an hour of this, contact your vet. I pray she delivers soon!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not unusual for there to be a few days between deliveries, depending on the different days in her heat cycle when she mated. As long as she is not in distress, and it sounds like she is not, she will have the remaining kittens soon! Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is very normal to have an interval between kittens. I go by how mama is acting. If she is taking care of the kitten, eating/drinking/using the litterbox, everything is fine. Watch for contractions, rippling along her sides, or signs of straining, if no kittens in over an hour of this, contact your vet. I pray she delivers soon!
thank you so much for the advice! she keeps getting up & walking around like everything is normal now. I’m kinda concerned she’s stopped taking care of the first one. Should I get milk replacer in case?

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s not unusual for there to be a few days between deliveries, depending on the different days in her heat cycle when she mated. As long as she is not in distress, and it sounds like she is not, she will have the remaining kittens soon! Hang in there!
thank you so much! she’s been leaving the nest & laying around the room. I tried to put her back in her nest with the first one but she keeps leaving. Should I buy milk replacer in case?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is good to have kitten formula on hand in case a kitten needs supplementing, and a dish a day for mom helps with her calcium needs.

As long as she feeds the kitten every hour or two and the kitten is gaining weight, things should be okay. Kitten should gain 6-10 grams per day. Have you weighed?

I suspect mom may be laboring and once the rest of the litter arrives mom will settle into the nest more easily.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thank you so much for the advice! she keeps getting up & walking around like everything is normal now. I’m kinda concerned she’s stopped taking care of the first one. Should I get milk replacer in case?
Yes, do so. kmr or goats milk. Raw cow milk may perhaps be OK too, if you are in countryside with alive cows....

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sure will, thank you so much!

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
still no more kitties, going on 31 hours with just one. She’s back in the nest nursing & cleaning it.. hopefully the rest come soon

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 50 hours now since the first one & still no more kitties :( she’s still stress free taking care of her one little love. Gonna call the vet, maybe they can give her oxytocin?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If anything, I would ask for an x-ray to see if there are kittens, how many, and what stage of gestational development they are. You don’t want her delivering preemies who won’t live. With kittens, every day in utero makes a huge difference.

Oxytocin is used when labor has stopped or is too weak. She has not gone into labor again yet.
hjseamen hjseamen

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anything, I would ask for an x-ray to see if there are kittens, how many, and what stage of gestational development they are. You don’t want her delivering preemies who won’t live. With kittens, every day in utero makes a huge difference.

Oxytocin is used when labor has stopped or is too weak. She has not gone into labor again yet.
hjseamen hjseamen
I do appreciate all your help, thank you again. I’ll keep updating throughout the day

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I reached out to the only available emergency vet in my area since it’s Sunday. It’s been 55 hours & still no more kittens. They did an X-ray & checked for fetal heartbeats. They can see three kittens but only two heartbeats. They’re afraid if one’s dead it could cause complications for the other kittens & mama cat. They suggested we try the shot to induce labor or go through with a c section. We’re gonna try the shot & hope for the best. They’re keeping first baby with momma while she’s being monitored all day.
Please keep my kitty & her babies in your prayers.. good vibes, good thoughts, whatever you believe in. I’ve had horrible vet experiences in the past & need all the positivity I can get..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What gestational age did they say the kittens are? Are they developed enough to be born? I’m still not clear why she isn’t being allowed to go back into natural labor.

Just because they did not detect a third heartbeat does not mean there isn’t one. Also, plenty of cats deliver stillborns if there is one.

I hope all is well. Is there an update?

hjseamen hjseamen

Last edited:

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What gestational age did they say the kittens are? Are they developed enough to be born? I’m still not clear why she isn’t being allowed to go back into natural labor.

Just because they did not detect a third heartbeat does not mean there isn’t one. Also, plenty of cats deliver stillborns if there is one.

I hope all is well. Is there an update?

hjseamen hjseamen
I’m sorry, I meant to post a first update prior to that one but I don’t think it posted :/ she had started straining & was meowing for about an hour but no other signs of labor. that’s why I contacted the vet & took her in.
good news, it worked though :) we have a total of three kitties, one was stillborn. thank you so much for all of your advice & help

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m happy to hear that no c-section was required. Mom looks well! Thanks so much for the update, and do keep us posted! 😻

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Beaming! It shows also your instinct was correct.
Although she wasnt in no immediate danger, but there WERE more chapters in this book. So wise of you to be observant, and act accordingly, both with seeking advice here, and seeking out a knowleable vet.

hjseamen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello all!! :)

life has gotten busy for me & I totally forgot to post an update of the babies! thank you again for your advice, even though it’s months later, it’s always been appreciated :)

Mama Mia in the middle (calico), Athena in the back (gray) & Leo in the front (b&w). They stayed with us. They’re almost bigger than mom at only 5 months!

& Mr. Aldous Snow (tuxedo) found a forever home with my mom.

Attachments

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Eatin up all these happy kittee stories with a spoon: so proud for everybody! Congrats all around!