Please Help Me!

zyoroth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so I recently just woke up and, this is the second time, my other cat has pulled out the blankets from under the week old kittens. At first, it wasn't too bad, there was only a dot of blood on them but now one has like a gash?? I'm not sure but does anyone know why he's doing this or what to do?? The mother of the kittens is his sister, and I know she isn't doing it because all day and night she feeds them, and I have seen him scratch at the blankets in there.

Please help! Thank you!

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to keep him away from the kittens I think. He could have no motive behind it, he could just like the blanket, who knows. Bottom line, he may not have intent to injure them, but at such a young age, they're very tiny and prone to serious injury from otherwise harmless-intended actions.
Also please consider spaying and neutering your cats - unplanned/unwanted litters can be detrimental and female cats go into heat VERY often - they're also capable of enormous litters.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please find a safe place for the kittens and mother. Somewhere your older cat cant get to them. They are tiny and helpless at the moment and cant help themselves but need you to help them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zyoroth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You need to keep him away from the kittens I think. He could have no motive behind it, he could just like the blanket, who knows. Bottom line, he may not have intent to injure them, but at such a young age, they're very tiny and prone to serious injury from otherwise harmless-intended actions.
Also please consider spaying and neutering your cats - unplanned/unwanted litters can be detrimental and female cats go into heat VERY often - they're also capable of enormous litters.
That could be so, but what I think he might think they're mice since there small? I haven't neutered him yet so it could also be hormones? If that's how it works?? I heard him hiss at them once, I'm believing he just doesn't like them since he can't play with his sister anymore and wants to kill them.

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
100% keep him away from those babies at all costs, and again, please fix him ASAP. He probably knows they're kits, but intact males are known for intense territorial behavior. He honestly is just defending his turf and his queen, more than likely. He's more than capable of killing them if he desires. I'd keep your queen and her kits in a "nursery" if you would. A place where he has absolutely no access to and she can focus on getting some rest and feeding her little ones.

zyoroth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please find a safe place for the kittens and mother. Somewhere your older cat cant get to them. They are tiny and helpless at the moment and cant help themselves but need you to help them.
There aren't many places for them to go, she picked the closet and will meow and drag them back there if they're moved. I'm considering getting a kennel. I have them in my closet with a flattened box as a wall, I just didn't think he'd do so much damage to them. This is his first time around kittens, and doesn't know that they're fragile.

zyoroth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
100% keep him away from those babies at all costs, and again, please fix him ASAP. He probably knows they're kits, but intact males are known for intense territorial behavior. He honestly is just defending his turf and his queen, more than likely. He's more than capable of killing them if he desires. I'd keep your queen and her kits in a "nursery" if you would. A place where he has absolutely no access to and she can focus on getting some rest and feeding her little ones.
I'll consider it to my parents when they have money. But finding a new nursery would be hard, she already moved them once from a safe space and into my closet where she desired them, she moves them back if you try to place the melse where. I live in a trailer so there's nowhere else you could put them?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you borrow a large dog cage that is big enough for the mother and kittens to have plenty of room. The mother could then be left out of the cage for a break and the kittens would be safe. Your older cat could still see them and get used to their smell

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
Does the room the closet is in have a door? Or is just a closet that's in the open?
If you have a room you can keep the male in that has a door that can shut, put him in there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to keep your make away from the kittens. It’s not safe for them, and they are incredibly vulnerable.

Is he the father? He also needs to stay away from his sister. She can already get pregnant again.

Where are you located? We can help you to find a low cost spay and neuter clinic?

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to keep your make away from the kittens. It’s not safe for them, and they are incredibly vulnerable.

Is he the father? He also needs to stay away from his sister. She can already get pregnant again.

Where are you located? We can help you to find a low cost spay and neuter clinic?
^ This is actually an awesome suggestion. A lot of places will do it for free too. My friend's family was always strapped for cash and in a similar living situation as you. A local shelter fixed her 3 cats at no cost.

thelaughingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As the others have already said, find a way either through a cage or a room with a closed door, to keep the kits safe. I'm in the UK and our local vet and cat charities will lend out cages to people, usually to help with introducing cats to each other. Getting him spayed is definitely a must!

As talkingpeanut talkingpeanut said, if you let us know where you live, we can look into options for you.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep him away from momma and the kittens until she is spayed. She can become pregnant again a week after giving birth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please give us your city and state and we will locate a low-cost neuter clinic for you.

Close the door to your room in the meantime and keep the male out for now. Put mom's food, water, and litter in the room with her.

How is the kitten with the gash doing now?