Please help me with this bloodwork

jasperthecat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male 7 year old cat who has been to the vet 3 times and im none of the wiser as to whats going on. (Just some information he is like a tabby mix with a maine coon so very fluffy fur, he can be sick every once an awhile say once every three - four weeks sometimes more somes not sick at all it can be a bit of a roller-coaster. He has two teeth that will have to be removed its been like that for a little while which can make it difficult for him to eat. He usually likes to sleep alot but would normally get up to have a pick and a bite at his food or go to the toilet. First of all he became very lethargic and wanted to sleep most of the time more than usuall, he wasnt drinking water or eating much food. He wasnt weeing very much and his poo's were small and dark because he wasnt eating much at all put that down to being unconftable with his teeth that so we tried feeding him smaller softer foods. That helped a little but ultimately he still got worse. So i took him to the first vet which said blood work would give a better insight into whats going on but try a diet for for furballs as that could be whats possibly causing the sickness and loss of appetite. So we took him back home. two days later i had to take him to a different vet which said he had a high fever of 40 degress celceious, he was quite constipated, he was dehydrated and bloodwork would need to be done aswell as put onto a drip for fluids. We were then told to take him to a different vet so they could do the bloodwork aswell as the drip and overnightstay to monitor him. So in the same day, the 3rd vet done the bloodwork. but said that Jasper doesnt need a drip, it could be a simple infection to which he gave jasper a 10 day antibotic. Be also said it could be a possibility of kidney disease etc.. He also felt jaspers tummy and bowl area and said there wasnt much there (meaning Jasper wasnt really constipated) he sent jasper home. The next day jasper picked up and was more engetic and happy. His appetite was a little better and be wasnt sleeping as much. 2 says after that he became very badly constipated and couldnt pass anything. He was also vomiting quite a bit of yellow bile. So i had to rush him back up to the 3rd vet. The veterinarian on at the time (different to who we seen the last time) said Jasper had a fair bit of poo in his bowl and would need an enema. After waiting for the enema to work, jasper didnt pass anything so a warm water enema would have to be done. She said that should bring jasper back to full health etc. I ask what her opinion was on jaspers bloodwork. She said that it wasnt anything remarkable meaning it was to bad. I have had one vet tell me he could have kidney disease, and one say it wasnt to out of the normal. Anyway after the soapy water enema and the drip for a day jasper came back home. They had shaven his rectal area (as it was really fluffy and with the enema he can have diarrhoea so didnt want it getting caught up in the fur). So the first night we got him Back he was really sleepy and i put that down to the sedation he had had early in the morning for the warm water enema. That was yesterday - he has been staying on his own since then speeping in areas doesnt normally go like on the floor beside my bed. Normally he would sleep on my bed. If i was to pick him up onto the bed so he would be more comfortable he would jump back down onto the floor. Today at first he was a little more interactive and even woke up to get some food (didnt eat alot but was still something ) and had a big drink of water. Now in the afternoon he has gone completely off his food and snuck off to a corner to sleep some more after i tried more food with him.
After all that im really woried about him ive seen 4 different people ate 3 vets and none of the wiser as to whats going on. I dont have much money to take him back to vet has the bill is already very big from what ive gotten done so far. I love him very much and just want him to get better. Has anyone had the same sort of issue with their cat? Is there anyone who would be able to look over his bloodwork for me?
Thanks in advance anyhelp will be greatly appreciated

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he perked up today? It's not unusual for a cat to be quite sleepy for a day or two after sedation.

Sorry I can't help you with understanding the bloodwork. I know there are quite a few members who might know what it all means, so hopefully you'll get some advice soon!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call your vet and ask for a easy to understand explanation of the blood work results. A quick look shows that most values are in the normal range which is great. A few things like creatine are high which typically means a health issue of some sort but can sometimes be something the vet just wants to monitor espeically values that are just over the normal range and might be off due to stress.

Ask the vet if they can consult with a veterinary teaching school or other vets about your cat's issues. VIN.com is a popular web site for vets to discuss complicated cases with other vets from all over the world.

Last edited:

virtue1940

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am by no means a veterinary professional, but from what you described and the blood work numbers, my guess would be that your troubles with your kitty are stemming from his dental issues. If he has two teeth that need to come out, then you should get this taken care of ASAP (if he is able to withstand the procedure). 

In my opinion I think what is happening is being caused by a dental infection.  As far as the blood work is concerned - -

High WBC, Neu, and Mono appear to indicate an active infection which is probably stemming from the bad teeth. 

High ALKP is related to liver issues that can stem from a cat not eating which in the case is probably related to the dental issues. 

High RDW can indicate anemia which may also be related to his not eating. 

Although high creatinine levels appear to be mostly associated with CKD (chronic kidney disease), other causes can be dehydration and heart issues.  With that being said, I wouldn't jump right to CKD in this instance.  Once you get the dental issues under control, you will be able to get a clearer picture of what else might be going on.

The main question for the vet you decide to go with for the extraction of the teeth is this - - can your cat withstand going under anesthesia in his current state? Anesthesia always has its risks and you need to be aware of that fact from the get go.

Unfortunately, the dental procedure is a surgery so it can be expensive, be prepared when they give you the estimate.  I've racked up a good amount of debt due to my baby's health issues, but for me it is worth EVERY penny. 

I'm sorry that you and your kitty are going through this and I wish you both the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasperthecat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he perked up today? It's not unusual for a cat to be quite sleepy for a day or two after sedation.

Sorry I can't help you with understanding the bloodwork. I know there are quite a few members who might know what it all means, so hopefully you'll get some advice soon!
He has perked up alittle. He seems more alert and is waking up from time to time to go back to sleep 15 minutes later. But is still sleeping alot. He seems slowly on the mend thankfully. Thanks for your time.

jasperthecat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Call your vet and ask for a easy to understand explanation of the blood work results. A quick look shows that most values are in the normal range which is great. A few things like creatine are high which typically means a health issue of some sort but can sometimes be something the vet just wants to monitor espeically values that are just over the normal range and might be off due to stress.

Ask the vet if they can consult with a veterinary teaching school or other vets about your cat's issues. VIN.com is a popular web site for vets to discuss complicated cases with other vets from all over the world.
Ok thanks for that,ill get onto it and ask them about consulting through VIN.com. thankyou for your time

jasperthecat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am by no means a veterinary professional, but from what you described and the blood work numbers, my guess would be that your troubles with your kitty are stemming from his dental issues. If he has two teeth that need to come out, then you should get this taken care of ASAP (if he is able to withstand the procedure). 

In my opinion I think what is happening is being caused by a dental infection.  As far as the blood work is concerned - -
High WBC, Neu, and Mono appear to indicate an active infection which is probably stemming from the bad teeth. 
High ALKP is related to liver issues that can stem from a cat not eating which in the case is probably related to the dental issues. 
High RDW can indicate anemia which may also be related to his not eating. 
Although high creatinine levels appear to be mostly associated with CKD (chronic kidney disease), other causes can be dehydration and heart issues.  With that being said, I wouldn't jump right to CKD in this instance.  Once you get the dental issues under control, you will be able to get a clearer picture of what else might be going on.

The main question for the vet you decide to go with for the extraction of the teeth is this - - can your cat withstand going under anesthesia in his current state? Anesthesia always has its risks and you need to be aware of that fact from the get go.

Unfortunately, the dental procedure is a surgery so it can be expensive, be prepared when they give you the estimate.  I've racked up a good amount of debt due to my baby's health issues, but for me it is worth EVERY penny. 

I'm sorry that you and your kitty are going through this and I wish you both the best.
Thankyou for such a great indepth reply,personally i have always thought his teeth was main cause of all his problems and its just expanded more and more. I would have had the teeth removed by now but i never had the money knowing how much it could come too. We love our animals so sometimes we just have to find the money no matter what and as you said its worth every penny. Thanks again for that, it was very helpful.