Please help me with Archimedes!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need advice about Archimedes! His original thread is here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221113

BTW, Mods Please feel free to move this thread if it doesn't belong here!

I was originally going to try to keep up my promise to hubby by finding Archimedes a new home, but now hubby wants to keep him

Marcie and Darcy get along pretty well most of the time. I don't know if they will accept a little boy into their harmonious group. I am terrified that someone is going to start spraying.

Archimedes has dashed inside (from the mudroom) several times and both the girls have hissed at him.

Please give me advice and re-assurance. I really want to give this sweet little boy a forever home, but I am not sure that I can handle introductions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Having a Feliway diffuser on cant never hurt, and may help much... Giving everyone, and especielly the girls, a more harmonious athmosfere....

Here, do have this diffuser indoors, where the girls are, but nearby this mud-room.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take your time with introductions. It's too soon for the girls to see Archimedes.

There's some good info here: http://www.cats.about.com/cs/catmana...roducecats.htm

Another trick you can use is to dab a little vanilla on all the cats - on the back of their necks (where they can't reach it) or under their chins. The idea is to give them a common scent so that they become more familiar to each other.

I know you're worried about the process, but just remember to have lots of patience. Don't get rattled by hissing - it's normal.

So glad you rescued this beautiful little boy - even better that you'll be giving him a forever home!!!

Congratulations on your new baby
- and best of luck with the intro. Let us know how it's going.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Weldrwmn, when I first saw the photos of that kitten, I thought to myself that he was very likely to become a permanent resident. He's just too cute.

I don't think I can add too much to the good advice given in this thread and in the sticky about introductions, but I agree with KTLynn: patience is very important, and a little hissing is nothing to worry about.

I've heard many times that intros can be more difficult with females, but at least the newcomer is small. I hope they won't perceive him as too much of a threat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main problem with waiting any longer for introductions is that Archimedes is a little door-dasher and has already been met with much hissing by both the girls. I just worry that they will hate him forever.

When Darcy was brought into the house, it took almost a month before Marcie stopped hissing at her.

I have a can of the Feliway spray, but it doesn't seem to have a big effect.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

Weldrwmn, when I first saw the photos of that kitten, I thought to myself that he was very likely to become a permanent resident. He's just too cute.
Me too. Archimedes is adorable!

Get a baby gate for your little speed demon. We had the kind that didn't have to be permanently attached to the wall or door frame - you simply adjusted it to size and it stayed put like a shower rod does, with tension. Once you open the door, the gate should give you enough time to prevent the little guy from bolting.

If you can't use one of these, you're going to have to play "catcher" each time you open the door, kneeling down and ready to stop him as he tries to make a break for it...

I don't think the girls will hate Archimedes forever. As you pointed out, it was almost a month before Marcie stopped hissing at her new sister. That's why gradual intros are the best way to go. The girls just need time to get used to a little brother. My Katie, an adult cat, hid under the armoire for a week when we finally let 4 month old Rocky walk around the house, and we had done a gradual intro. After that, they became pals and wrestling partners!

I hope the advice on the website I gave you will help. Patience will go a long way toward a good result! Hang in there!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Archimedes is too adorable. Kudos to you and DH for rescuing him and good luck with him adjusting to your home.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What great news to hear you are keeping him. I read your original thread and thought to myself, I wonder how they are going to be able to give up that little sweetheart! He is a lucky boy!

I think you will be fine with introductions, the key is patience. If hissing is all that your girls are doing, it will just take a little time.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

The main problem with waiting any longer for introductions is that Archimedes is a little door-dasher and has already been met with much hissing by both the girls. I just worry that they will hate him forever.

When Darcy was brought into the house, it took almost a month before Marcie stopped hissing at her.

I have a can of the Feliway spray, but it doesn't seem to have a big effect.
Hissing is TOTALLY normal and perfectly OKAY. It's how cats let each other know what's what, please do NOT stress over it.

I have growling and hissing going on, but with Feliway going, and a dab of vanilla on the backs of the cats' necks, my intros with Squeaky went swimmingly well.

Your boy is a kitten and therefore intros should be even easier than they were for me, introducing an adult female into a household of 5 adult cats!

Most important thing is, he should be completely dewormed and have a vet ok him being mixed in with your other two. Otherwise, he needs to stay isolated.

If he has a clean bill of health already, then it is absolutely NOT too soon to have him go through intros. The cats will work it out themselves, and as long as there is no bloodshed, even some small amount of cat fighting in the beginning is completely natural and nothing to worry about, I promise!

EDIT: I know others suggest vanilla be dabbed on the cat's chins or on their noses, but as their is 35% alcohol in pure vanilla extract, you do NOT want to put it that close to their noses, as the fumes can burn.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Hissing is TOTALLY normal and perfectly OKAY. It's how cats let each other know what's what, please do NOT stress over it.

I have growling and hissing going on, but with Feliway going, and a dab of vanilla on the backs of the cats' necks, my intros with Squeaky went swimmingly well.

Your boy is a kitten and therefore intros should be even easier than they were for me, introducing an adult female into a household of 5 adult cats!

Most important thing is, he should be completely dewormed and have a vet ok him being mixed in with your other two. Otherwise, he needs to stay isolated.

If he has a clean bill of health already, then it is absolutely NOT too soon to have him go through intros. The cats will work it out themselves, and as long as there is no bloodshed, even some small amount of cat fighting in the beginning is completely natural and nothing to worry about, I promise!

EDIT: I know others suggest vanilla be dabbed on the cat's chins or on their noses, but as their is 35% alcohol in pure vanilla extract, you do NOT want to put it that close to their noses, as the fumes can burn.
Exactly!! And if he's neutured before he gets much older, then spraying shouldn't be a problem. So glad you're considering keeping this little muffin!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, and in my opinion, if 'the girls' had any real intentions of hurting him....they would have went after him tooth and claw the first time he dashed into the room.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WW - I find the Feliway spray doesn't do very much. You need the diffusers. I have also tried a calming collar on Casper... since he is my fraidy-cat-neurotic boy. It seems to be helping a bit. Hissy said she tried one and it helped in her household and I BELIEVE HER.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Oh yeah, and in my opinion, if 'the girls' had any real intentions of hurting him....they would have went after him tooth and claw the first time he dashed into the room.

For real, that's a fact.

You should HEAR the colorful language Max and Ferris have been using with Squeaky!
And Penny and Baby have been growling like little terrors, but truly, I don't think it could have gone any better - Squeaky is now a permanent member of the family, and after a few months, the other 5 will be acting like she was always around.

The younger the cat, the easier the intros, IMO. No worries, hon!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I missed the original thread when you posted, but I read it before this one - and I kept thinking he's just too adorable to adopt out!

THANK YOU FOR RESCUING HIM!

Our girls (except Flowerbelle) are always hissy about new intros. Spooky usually takes about six months to get over it.

It is SO normal - and they will adjust! With him being a young little fella, they ought to be hissing - he needs to be taught their boundaries and his manners!

The one thing I'd add to what's been recommended is.... LAVISH LOTS OF EXTRA LOVE AND ATTENTION ON YOUR GIRLS. Always give them attention first. When you feed everyone together, put their treats and food down first. The reassurance and attention that they're still #1 will help.
Make hubby do this too.

Give him alone play time off in a room alone somewhere as often as possible - use up some of his energy, because all that kitten energy may bug the girls.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only echo the above but just wanted to add a thank you for all you have done for him and rescuing him, he lucked out when you came along

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice!

I really love having vanilla scented kitties - that may become a permanent thing because having kitties that smell like cookies is sooo nice!

Marcie and Darcy still hiss quite a bit at him, but they are getting better.