Please Help me Understand_Maybe FPV(?)

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, one of my foster kittens started vomiting and having diarrhea, another one just vomited, the other is ok, and then my two resident cats (over 2 years-old) vomited. I took the serious case to the vet for FPV test hours ago. I didn't know there is a blood and fecal sample test. The vet used feces samples which sounded very painful. He went to another room to run the test and came back with a vague answer, something like the kitten has tested weakly positive for FPV(??). Said the answer is not definitive and the numbers on the test may either go to 0 (negative) or increase. The test scale for FPV was something between 0.something-5 (Edit: my kitten got 1). I did not get a copy of the results so I don't remember the exact lower border.

He also mentioned that I could do a blood test to confirm but that would also not be conclusive, and can come back in two days for another test to check the progress. I asked to vaccinate all the kittens. The answer was wait until they are fully two months, which is the end of next week. Finally, I asked him what to do and how to stop the vomit and diarrhea. the answer was no drug, no cure, just feed them well.

My kittens have been roaming freely in the living room which is locked all the time. the serious case kitten have already stained many places with feces including furniture and we've been cleaning up after her. She also like to rub and drag her butt along the sofa and I don't blame her, it must painful.
I'm quite sad and frustrated, and because I don't fully have experience with this disease not going to hide that I suspect kittens got it from the vet, because five days ago I took one of them there for constipation.

So I'm turning to the internet. Is there a way to make them improve? OTC drug or home remedy for diarrhea/vomit? If they really have FPV and survive it, will there be related complications later? Can they go to houses that have other pets after they recover? Thank you for reading this long post and for your answers :redheartpump:

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first advice: GO TO ANOTHER VET ASAP

No reputable vet should have sent you home with sick kittens and no treatment plan other than to feed them well. A general antibiotic or some Sub Q fluids would be pretty standard procedure at my clinic. If they are having continuous diarrhea and vomiting, they will very easily dehydrate. Increase fluids as best you can, more dilute KMR or add water to their wet food. Do the same for the adult cats if they have not shown improvement.

Is there anything your cats could have eaten that would make them sick? Try not to jump to a conclusion just yet, many things can cause diarrhea and vomiting other than FPV, which is why your vet should have examined them further than to just test for FPV. These symptoms could even be from something as simple as intestinal worms. If they do receive a diagnosis and do have this disease, I found this article helpful: Feline Parvovirus.

I would begin following the disinfecting procedures at the bottom of the page immediately just to be safe.

A lot of viral diseases will show up positive when tested in young kittens because of the antibodies given to them by their mother at birth. Most of these tests are inaccurate until they are around 4 months old. I also would never vaccinate a sick cat, and especially not a kitten. Best of luck, and please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! I will consult another vet tomorrow and post updates. They still eat and drink plenty of water. no fever. During weaning week, I started including home cooked meals (steamed beef, chicken heart, chicken breast, salmon ) in their diet as I could not find less than 2 month old kitten food. They were doing great. A week ago I tried to incorporate wet food and dry food to transition them. They seem to eat dry food. They don't like the wet food. Now with these symptoms, I made some boiled chicken. Older posters here mentioned it helped stop diarrhea.

I also isolated the severe case. As I was posting here, she started defecating on the ground and dragging her butt, which doesn't help with disinfection:nervous:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you need to get a much better vet involved. Yes, there are all those anecdotal home remedies for diarrhea, but in this case it is not what is called for as something potentially much more serious in very young kittens is going on. As was said, don't jump to conclusions yet, but you never should have been allowed to leave without much more support for this situation. Are you fostering for a rescue? I just wondered if this vet was affiliated with the rescue or if they have other vets they use.

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a remote area. One vet clinic available, two vets work there. Only one on duty at that time and I usually don't go to him because he's been very unhelpful in the past, but didn't have a choice.
I went to the other vet and he said that the kitten tested negative. He didn't prescribe anything because kitten still eats/drinks water and plays all the time, and checked no fever, but asked that I come back in a couple of days if it doesn't improve. He suspects it's due to food change and asked we give them the food they used to eat. Anyway, we are disinfecting and trying to keep things clean. My coworker fostered a stray queen who had six kittens, and was looking for help. I took in three. The vet is not affiliated with any rescue groups but gives discounts for TNR.

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Updates: kittens are doing ok. Now, have to say I had to give them OTC drug for diarrhea for 2-3 days, because both vets didn't prescribe anything apart from going back to old diet. I've switched back to what they ate before and reintroduced kibbles slowly (royal canine for baby cats). :dance:

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are really kind to have helped out with the kitties and I hope that this gets resolved.
Actually, they're all black kittens and many people don't want black cats because of superstitious beliefs :sigh:. One of my resident cats is black and she's the sweetest cat I had. So I didn't mind looking after them. But can be exhausting:think:and the worst part is having people say they'd be interested in adopting but not black cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had several black cats, still have one indoors, and three ferals outside. It is irritating that people can still react that way to a sweet little cat.