Please help me find some answers for my cats. :( - Mange ? demodicosis ?

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that they suggestions seem to be going towards a medical issue, but we recently had some skin issues with one of my three cats. Our boy kept itching and licking and had developed red raised and bumpy patches , focused on his hind legs but spread all over. They were actually pretty ugly and bunch were scabbing up.  He was treated with steroids and antibiotics, but nothing changed. We switched litters (for an unrelated reason) and it cleared up completely within two weeks. The vet didn't suggest an skin allergy to us at all. They were even starting to talk about immuno-suppressants. They were shocked that it cleared up that quickly, and surprised that the litter seems to be the cause, particularly since this is the same litter we have used since we got the cats. 

Do you think it could be a skin reaction to something?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hddarcy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I absolutely wonder if it could be allergies.  The fact that she didn't have this until we got her, makes me think it is some kind of allergy!  I mean she as a barn cat prior to this.  Doesn't make sense that the demodicosis would surface once she came to me.  :(  I am using cheap wal-mart litter.  I will change it as of right now.  I have some scoopable I was going to start using anyway.

Did I also mention that Bella has a rodent ulcer?  Of course when I google it says it could be caused from allergies or FILV (UGH!!!!!).   So, that puts me at square one.  Can't I just get SOME direction?! The vet doesn't think it would be allergies for it to be this severe.  However, when I google cat allegies, I see some that look just as bad!

Anyway, we just got done bathing them.  OMG... I had my 12-year old son helping.  That was horrible.  I got bit too.  They are currently in the dog kennel with their cones on.  Man, this sucks.  :(

hddarcy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Have they sent any samples out for analysis?  I'm saying this because I'm thinking of Mast Cell tumors that can cause itching like that (and also be benign).

My Cindy itched and had sores and scabs from the day I got her.  Eventually, she was diagnosed with Mast Cell Tumor on her colon.  I don't know if the sores were mast cell or not and they spread, because we never had them analyzed, just assumed they were skin or allergy and treated with antibiotics and antihistimes. I very much regret now not having them analyzed.

Bella is beautiful, by the way!  I hope she starts feeling better. Itching is miserable.
Thank you about Bella.  Unfortunately, she doesn't look like that anymore.  So sad.  I loved her long fur!

Very interesting on the mast cell tumor.  I'm fairly sure that's not the case though as she goes from having nothing basically to the raw spots.  No raised tumor-like things first.  I do appreciate your thoughts though!

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The pictures are incredible. I hope you show the vet previous pictures. I have a white cat with a similar coat, he does lose his britches and his mane in the summer even though he is an indoor only cat. I do not have any answers or suggestions, but wish you good luck with solving the problem. She is a truly beautiful cat.

hddarcy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The pictures are incredible. I hope you show the vet previous pictures. I have a white cat with a similar coat, he does lose his britches and his mane in the summer even though he is an indoor only cat. I do not have any answers or suggestions, but wish you good luck with solving the problem. She is a truly beautiful cat.
Thank you so much!  This has been so stressful on me.  It's one thing to have to shell out all this money, and then not to have answers.  UGH.. just horrible.  I tend to have a bit of OCD as well, so trying to find answers for her/them is just consuming me at times.  Praying the dip helps!

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you think it might be the skin allergy try to think of what comes in contact the most with the area of her body that is the worst. Maybe she is rubbing her head and neck on something in particular? Or it might be that the neck area is the place that she can't reach to clean the allergen away, her whole body might be exposed to the allergen but just her neck doesn't get cleaned. With our guy it was his hind legs in the litter... he could lick his paws clean of the litter, but the dust would stay in his 'chops' longer. His fur was starting to get thin down there too. 

The weirdest thing with our guy is that we have been using that litter since he was born (almost two years ago) and he didn't have a problem until this spring when he had some pretty serious stress issues... we also got a very dusty box of litter at the same time.  We used Arm and Hammer Ultra Last.

Just to be clear... I have no actual knowledge of cat allergies.. this is just my very specific experience with my cat.  I would really recommend you talk to your vet about this possibility. 

hddarcy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I would post a quick update.  We have now given the cats three baths (third last night).  I'm THRILLED to report that Bella has NO new scabs or lesions on her!  However, the itching is still there.  The fact that the lesions are gone is huge though.  I'm hopeful that the itching will diminish as well.  AND, the rodent ulcer is nearly gone!   I did change food and cat litter.  No idea if that was it, or the lime baths.  Now my question is  - my dog is itching a lot!  The vet said to not treat her.  I have researched my booty off, and can't find a definite answer on whether a mite can affect them both?  Should I treat the dog?  I was going to call the vet again and see what her thoughts are now three weeks later, and with my dog still itching.  Thank you for any thoughts and info you may have!

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! I am glad things seem to be getting better! It took our cat a little while to stop the itching after we changed the litter. Good luck with your dog.