PLEASE HELP!!! Litter Training

ash2468

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello There

I really hope someone can help me out there, I'm having so much trouble with helping my cat learn to use the litter tray. He is a male cat about 7 months old now and we've had him for 5 and a half months. Ever since he came he hasn't learned to use the litter tray properly. At first he wouldn't use it al all and we tried all sorts - picking him up and putting him in it when he needed to go, getting two trays and putting them in different places (in case he wanted to wee in one place and poo in a different place), we never shouted at him when he was near the little tray, we only ever ignored him when he pood on the floor and gave him praise and treats when he went in the little tray... it seemed like he started to get the hang of it - almost always weeing in the tray and pooing in the tray sometimes, but mostly pooing next to it. But he never got the hang of it fully. Then when he started to go outside he started to poo a lot more out there which is great. But, now he has started to only poo and wee when I am in bed or at work and he only poos next to the little tray!! This morning I woke up to poo and wee next to the litter tray! We make sure the tray is always clean - when he poos next to it I put the poo in the tray and leave it there for a while hoping he will think 'oh, that's where i need to put it!' but then eventually i clean it out before I go to work so it's nice and clean for him, the tray is in a relatively quiet bit - he doesn't seem to have a problem with the place because he poos and wees right next to the tray!!! We have tried all different types of cat litters including wood and paper pellets (I'm using wood now), both trays a big ones - one with an open top and one with a cover and a cat flap - the one with the cat flap is in a little corner upstairs and the one with the open top is down stairs which is the one he always poos next to. I have tried swapping them but that didn't work. I really don't know what else to do and would really appreciate some advise! 

Ash :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract?  It contains special herbs that attract cats to the litter box.  It can be mixed into current litter or used straight and then gradually adding regular litter.  I have used it on a few feral cats and it works like a charm. 

Also is your kitty neutered?  He is old enough to be and some intact males have problems if they are not neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ash2468

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he has been neutered. That's great advise about litter attract stuff - I'm in the UK and can't get Dr Elsey's but I am now on the hunt for something similar! Thank You! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ash2468

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I can get that here! Great! Thanks!