Please help!--kitten w/ recurring diarrhea despite many visits to vet, changes in diet, and medicati

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you been told to bring your babies back to remove the stitches? If not then they used dissolving stitches so no real need to worry. If they did then you must just keep an eye on them that they don't open their stitches. The cone is very depressing for them.
Hi all!

My vet chooses not to stitch male cats post-neutering.  This is why Monty has to wear the cone.  I got him a new one, that is much more flexible, and is mostly cloth.  He's also been advised to wear the cone to prevent him from scratching his ears.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it different for males and females? Our two 10-month-old females were spayed on a Monday and we adopted them on a Thursday, no cones.
Is it different for males and females? Our two 10-month-old females were spayed on a Monday and we adopted them on a Thursday, no cones.
Yourl 2 girls would have started to heal already. Did they tell you to bring them back?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My vet chooses not to stitch male cats post-neutering.  This is why Monty has to wear the cone.  I got him a new one, that is much more flexible, and is mostly cloth.  He's also been advised to wear the cone to prevent him from scratching his ears.
I hope he does better with the cloth cone!
Yourl 2 girls would have started to heal already. Did they tell you to bring them back?
No, they didn't tell us to bring them back but they always send new adoptees home with a free vet appointment coupon and, in the case of recent spays/neuters, advise having incisions checked. One cat's incision was a little slower to heal but it was just slow and normal!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They wouldn't have needed to have the stitches taken out so they didn't need cones.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hi all!

The cloth cone is a great idea.  And I understand that he needs to leave his ears alone, so your vet made the right call, imo.  He is so adorable.  Those blue eyes and gorgeous markings are just astonishing!

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Updates!

Well, the first week post surgery was not an easy one.  Monty had a very dirty bum since his poo was not solid, and he was unable to clean it.  My boyfriend and I did our absolute best to keep him clean, but I ended up having to wash him quite a few times with mild soap and water to keep it relatively clean.  I came out of the week covered in scratches.

On top of that, Monty found ways to jump on anything and everything (we cleared the room of almost all furniture--I have no idea how he got on top of a 6 foot dresser), so his little balls got bruised and scabby, and his ears still looked pretty nasty, with a brownish gunk in them.

Last Wednesday night, Monty's little balls had fresh red blood on them, despite him not being able to access them due to the cloth cone of shame.  So, I ended up taking him to the 24 our emergency vet at midnight to get examined.  While he was there, I also had them check his ears.  Turns out the bleeding was relatively normal, as well as the bruising--no infection--and I was just advised to limit Monty's activity as much as possible, as well as to do my best to keep the area clean.  Moreover, the vet said some cats are just prone to having bacteria in their ears, and it would be best for us to clean Monty's ears twice a week, but to check with our regular vet for more information.  Altogether, though the visit to the ER was relatively uninformative, they didn't charge me at all, so no complaints here!

On Friday, my boyfriend called Monty's regular vet to fill them in on the situation, and we were advised to start putting Neosporin on Monty's incision areas.  The vet also said they would check on his ears during his 2-week post neuter surgery this weekend (they didn't seem too concerned).  I swear, everyone at that clinic must think my boyfriend and I are intense helicopter cat parents.

Tonight, while I was washing Monty's little bottom, the scabbing came off from his incision areas and wow, what a relief!  The area looks almost normal now.  However, Monty's ears are totally gunky; I ended up having to use 2 cotton balls per ear, with ear cleaning solution from the vet, to clear them out, as well as some q-tips.  I'm so glad Monty is on the mend post-surgery, and potentially on the road to more solid poo again, but I am starting to get seriously worried about his ears.  I mean, it has been over a month of ear drops and ear cleaning, yet we can't seem to get his ears free of the brown gunk inside of them.  

Monty has an appointment to see the vet on Saturday morning so, to be continued...

Regardless of all of his health hoopla, Monty definitely managed to look quite handsome this evening post-bath, even with the cone of shame!

Last edited:

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is the sweetest, funniest little face!  He is an absolute doll.  You are doing great, and I know this has been an intense and frustrating time for you and for Month, but boy is he a cutie!  If your vet is unable to do something about Monty's ears, you may want to get an opinion from another vet.  I've had my own vet gloss over the ears because we were dealing with a far more serious problem, but the ears need attention too.  Have you tried putting a little organic coconut oil in his ears?  Coconut oil (the organic kind) is anti-funal and antibacterial, and can often help with ear problems.

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That is the sweetest, funniest little face!  He is an absolute doll.  You are doing great, and I know this has been an intense and frustrating time for you and for Month, but boy is he a cutie!  If your vet is unable to do something about Monty's ears, you may want to get an opinion from another vet.  I've had my own vet gloss over the ears because we were dealing with a far more serious problem, but the ears need attention too.  Have you tried putting a little organic coconut oil in his ears?  Coconut oil (the organic kind) is anti-fungal and antibacterial, and can often help with ear problems.
Thanks so much! :)

The ER vet and his regular vet have said his ears look alright, but to me, the amount of brown build up in his ears is really off-putting.  If the vet says they still look alright this weekend, I am definitely going to take him elsewhere to get them checked.  He tries to scratch them like crazy.

I have never tried coconut oil.  Will the kind you cook with work?  I have plenty of it in my kitchen--definitely organic.  The kind that comes almost in solid form?

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The ER vet and his regular vet have said his ears look alright, but to me, the amount of brown build up in his ears is really off-putting.  If the vet says they still look alright this weekend, I am definitely going to take him elsewhere to get them checked.  He tries to scratch them like crazy.

I have never tried coconut oil.  Will the kind you cook with work?  I have plenty of it in my kitchen--definitely organic.  The kind that comes almost in solid form?
If he is trying to scratch those ears, something needs to be done.  There are all kinds of ear drops a vet can give him, depending on what the discharge/buildup is..  I have one cat who has almost like a sticky brown buildup.  None of my other three have anything remotely like that amount of ear wax or buildup so to me, it isn't normal, even though my vet too said that her ears were fine.  Organic coconut oil is anti-fungal and antibacterial and very gentle.  Yes, the coconut oil is solid in the jar, but melts when it touches the skin.  There are some coconut oils that are used for cooking that don't have the same properties, but if your coconut oil says "organic" on the label and hopefully "cold-pressed," it should have what he needs.  I use the Tropical Traditions brand.  You can use it to clean those ears and it will give Monty some relief from the itching.  My cat doesn't scratch at her ears and I believe her problem originated before she was rescued and has more to do with ear, nose and throat problems.  Monty's ears itching so badly sounds like ear mites.  If his ears have a buildup that looks like coffee grounds, it's mites and you need a vet to get rid of it once and for all.  

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If he is trying to scratch those ears, something needs to be done.  There are all kinds of ear drops a vet can give him, depending on what the discharge/buildup is..  I have one cat who has almost like a sticky brown buildup.  None of my other three have anything remotely like that amount of ear wax or buildup so to me, it isn't normal, even though my vet too said that her ears were fine.  Organic coconut oil is anti-fungal and antibacterial and very gentle.  Yes, the coconut oil is solid in the jar, but melts when it touches the skin.  There are some coconut oils that are used for cooking that don't have the same properties, but if your coconut oil says "organic" on the label and hopefully "cold-pressed," it should have what he needs.  I use the Tropical Traditions brand.  You can use it to clean those ears and it will give Monty some relief from the itching.  My cat doesn't scratch at her ears and I believe her problem originated before she was rescued and has more to do with ear, nose and throat problems.  Monty's ears itching so badly sounds like ear mites.  If his ears have a buildup that looks like coffee grounds, it's mites and you need a vet to get rid of it once and for all.  
Monty has been on and off of Tresaderm ear drops for about a month and a half.  He has had multiple ear swabs, and tested positive for bacterial infections (never mites!) at levels 3+ (when we first got him), level 2 (2 weeks later), 1 (4 weeks later).  He was finally cleared in terms of an infection when he got fixed a little over a week ago--that's when we were told to stop the ear drops.

However, I still see build up in his ears that does not look like wax.  It seems like whatever is in his ears comes back every few days, and it definitely sounds like what your cat has.  I've googled ear infections in cats for images, and it looks the closest to what a yeast-type infection looks like in a cat's ears.  

I think if it doesn't get better by Thursday, I'm going to take him in early.  I'm too much of a helicopter cat mom to wait any longer, lol.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Monty has been on and off of Tresaderm ear drops for about a month and a half.  He has had multiple ear swabs, and tested positive for bacterial infections (never mites!) at levels 3+ (when we first got him), level 2 (2 weeks later), 1 (4 weeks later).  He was finally cleared in terms of an infection when he got fixed a little over a week ago--that's when we were told to stop the ear drops.

However, I still see build up in his ears that does not look like wax.  It seems like whatever is in his ears comes back every few days, and it definitely sounds like what your cat has.  I've googled ear infections in cats for images, and it looks the closest to what a yeast-type infection looks like in a cat's ears.  

I think if it doesn't get better by Thursday, I'm going to take him in early.  I'm too much of a helicopter cat mom to wait any longer, lol.
There is something that hasn't cleared up, for sure.  My little girl was rescued from an active meth house during a police raid.  She was fostered for a year before I read about her and adopted her.  I anticipated some long term health problems due to the chemicals she was exposed to, and I'm sure that's why she hadn't already been adopted.  She's had two oral surgeries and many, many vet visits.  She's due for a checkup soon and we will address her ear buildup then.  Until then I keep them clean, which she seems to love, and she never scratches at them.  Coconut oil works beautifully on any type of yeast-caused infections, so it may very well help Monty quite a bit.  

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our previous cat also had a never-ending yeast infection in her ear. It was awful, particularly because she hated the drops and cleaner so much. (And they didn't help much when we were actually able to get them into her ears!)

I don't remember who mentioned it but someone noted that ear gunk/yeast infection and IBD can go together. Brooksie had both.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As far as I know 8 coconut

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Our previous cat also had a never-ending yeast infection in her ear. It was awful, particularly because she hated the drops and cleaner so much. (And they didn't help much when we were actually able to get them into her ears!)

I don't remember who mentioned it but someone noted that ear gunk/yeast infection and IBD can go together. Brooksie had both.
This sounds exactly like Monty.  He HATES the cleaning...SO much.  :( 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This sounds exactly like Monty.  He HATES the cleaning...SO much.  :( 
Brooksie was absolutely terrible with it when we used the medication! She was very good about letting us clean her ears with just tissues or Q-tips, though. (I know Q-tips are a no-no but she was so docile when we didn't use the cleaning solution that I never worried about anything going wrong...) The amounts of gunk that we would take out were mind-boggling: I even kind of wonder if she enjoyed having the stuff taken out because it made her ears feel better. Plus she'd get treats!

I hope that maybe Monty's ears will get better when his digestive issues clear up!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Monty! (And poor you for the smell!) It had sounded like his gut was doing somewhat better. Is he still eating the prescription food? Of course the medications he's been on could be affecting his stomach, too. Gas is preferable to the runs but it's still not very pleasant!

At least it sounds like his ears are a little better!

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Poor Monty! (And poor you for the smell!) It had sounded like his gut was doing somewhat better. Is he still eating the prescription food? Of course the medications he's been on could be affecting his stomach, too. Gas is preferable to the runs but it's still not very pleasant!

At least it sounds like his ears are a little better!
Monty went to the vet on Saturday.  He's been completely cleared in terms of his neuter incisions (little victories).

However, the vet says his ears are still very dirty, and that he is definitely feeling very itchy.  Monty has almost scratched off patches of hair above his eyes while trying to get to his ears.  So, he will be in the cone of shame for another 2 weeks, in an attempt to keep him from being able to scratch his face.

Monty is still on Rx food, and has some more solid poos than others some days.  But, really, his poo is definitely more on the muddy, pudding side than anything solid.  I'm gonna keep him on the food he is eating though, because the gas has lessened, and I'm thinking, perhaps, that changing his food would actually result in even more runny poos.

The vet feels that it is likely his weak immune system was further compromised post-surgery, which explains his suddenly more leaky bum and massive bacteria build up in his ears.  Unfortunately, we had everything almost entirely clear before the surgery, and now we have taken a huge leap backward.  So, for the next 2 weeks, he will be getting his ears cleaned 2-3 times a week, and Tresaderm ear drops 2x a day as well.

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update time!

Monty is now around 7 months old.  Since my last post, we have been on and off Tresaderm ear drops continually, and wearing the cone of shame for about 1.5 months!  Finally, Monty was put on oral antibiotics (pill in the mouth), which seem to have helped the most out of everything.  However, antibiotics also cause runny poo.  Monty had another swab done of his ears, which was sent off to a lab so that they may isolate the specific chain of bacteria in his ears, then choose the best antibiotic for him.  Apparently, the antibiotic Monty was on is a blanket drug, for multiple chains of bacteria in the same family.  We are still waiting for results.

We also are awaiting results from UC Davis to see what exactly Monty is.  We sent in cheek swabs to determine ancestry.  At this point, we feel very certain Monty is at least 75% bengal, if not all bengal.  He has changed SO much over the past 2 months--darker face, more spots, more stripes.  We are hoping that knowing more about his ancestry will help in us and his vet in choosing the right diet for Monty.