Please help - is my cat's poop normal it looks very dark and I'm concerned.

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been acting completely normal but I noticed his butt looked just a little weird like I thought it looked slightly reddish with the poop matter that would sometimes stick to his butt but then I would look with a light and it just looked brown. Well, I just checked his poop and it looks like this. Is it normal or this is "black" like bloody? It's dry at this point it may be a day or two old.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you feed him dry? Just a wild guess but he is close to being constipated so he is a little sore.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our cat's droppings are black and look very similar. When I broke a few open, I found a lot of cat hair inside. We feed her wet & raw. During the last visit to the vet, I took some samples with us. Vet said they're normal and we want the hair passed with her stools rather than have her coughing up hairballs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat's droppings are black and look very similar. When I broke a few open, I found a lot of cat hair inside. We feed her wet & raw. During the last visit to the vet, I took some samples with us. Vet said they're normal and we want the hair passed with her stools rather than have her coughing up hairballs.
I see. I broke his open and they don't have hair in them but it's more brown in the middle. I just called a vet and they said the outside gets darker if the poop has been sitting for a while and I think it's been 3 days since I cleaned his box unfortunately so maybe that is it. I'm still going to watch for some fresh poop. He is acting fine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to be observant about the color of the poop. Often red on the stool does have a less than serious cause but should still be reported to the vet if is continues. Black tarry stool is the kind that usually indicates the presence of blood from the intestinal tract. Picture tar.....the texture of the stool will have a slightly more gelatinous quality if it is mixed with blood.

Cat Poop Color Chart | Find Out What The Colors Mean

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been acting completely normal but I noticed his butt looked just a little weird like I thought it looked slightly reddish with the poop matter that would sometimes stick to his butt but then I would look with a light and it just looked brown. Well, I just checked his poop and it looks like this. Is it normal or this is "black" like bloody? It's dry at this point it may be a day or two old.
My cat’s poop gets darker if I let it stay and dry so I guess that is way it looks dark