Please help...I think this stray is Pregnant - UPDATE

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Actually, I've seen that happen with barn cats if one cats kittens all died shortly after giving birth. They will hear the cries of the hungry kittens and come in to help out, relieving them of some of their milk (which can cause problems if they have to dry up suddenly). They look to me to be around 4 weeks old, so Princess may have started the weaning process already, especially if they are showing an interest in kitten food. They do look exceptionally healthy for kittens born outside.

As for socializing, just spend as much time with them to get them used to humans. Their curiosity will get the better of them and they will feel comfortable with you in no time at all.
Wow! That's just amazing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stelladora99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are nursing less and eating more and drinking more water. Whatever Princess does, they want to do. We are going to keep Princess...yayyy!! I found out it is 40 bucks to have her spayed which isn't bad.

There area lot of strays in our area since we live across from a large field, it is possible another mama had been feeding them. I had to buy them some toys today since they took to chewing on hubby's shoes lol

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stelladora99

Yes, they are nursing less and eating more and drinking more water. Whatever Princess does, they want to do. We are going to keep Princess...yayyy!! I found out it is 40 bucks to have her spayed which isn't bad.

There area lot of strays in our area since we live across from a large field, it is possible another mama had been feeding them. I had to buy them some toys today since they took to chewing on hubby's shoes lol
Congrats! So do you have homes for the kitties yet? They'll probably be taken pretty fast. When my cat had her kittens, we gave all 5 to a home in a single day. Kittens just attract many, many people!

I'm glad they got lucky!
Playing with them will really help them socialize with you, but a simple piece of yarn or even a cardboard box will keep them entertained

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Actually her eyes seem green with amber or copper if that makes sense
A good RB should have lively green eyes...

I suspect she doesnt have any tatoo in the ears. Had you any chance to see if she has a chip? Every vet should have a chip reader.

You can also perhaps feel the chip through the skin.

They usually place it behind down on the neck, although other places are also possible. You feel it as hard, a little oblong, about one third of an inch long, one tenth of an inch broad...

stelladora99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of my pets are microchipped and she doesn't feel like she has one. If I take her to the vet to get scanned, should I take the kittens too so they won't be seperated again?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would take them to the vet with Princess so the vet can have a look at them. It would be good to make sure they are as healthy as they look. Maybe explain to the vet that they have been separated.

stelladora99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
took some pics...had to catch them while they weren't wrestling in the litterbox which seems to be a favorite of theirs today.

This is the one we affectionately call "Fatty Patty" she is our chunky one lol

These two are the runt (in the corner) and the one with the white tip (thats why it looks like his tail is cut off lol)

Concerned about our little guy. He likes to wrestle but isn't too fond of humans yet. He is a little mama's boy lol. Hope he comes out of his shell soon.

Taking them to the vet on monday or tuesday depending on how soon we get out of my daughter's endo appt. It will prob have to be tuesday. They are checking them all out and mama for 38 bucks. I can't stand calling mama "princess" because we have a "jasmine" as well and it would be too disney for me haha. Looking for a better name

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww! They are SOO cute! Glad they're doing good!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I can't stand calling mama "princess" because we have a "jasmine" as well and it would be too disney for me haha. Looking for a better name
You can use a princess name, real - historical or contemporary, or mythological, or from Fantasy.

Exactly as you fancy, as long it isnt from Disney.

ps. I have got one suggestion. Im thinking on the very young duchess Sofia from the small German duchessy of Stettin. [I think the name of the duchesy was Anhalt-Zerbst, but the capital was Stettin] Who were called to Russia as fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e to prince Peter, the tsar to be. She come, took the russian orthodox christianity, get renamed to princess Katarina... Being still a young girl had a difficult birth with Peters child, who wasnt any good husband, him being also a half wit... With time, she did become a strong ruler, a popular and successfull tsar: Katarina the Great.

stelladora99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a cool story!

Ok, so another question I thought of. For now until their appointment with the vet, we have been keeping mama and her kittens in our master bathroom. It is pretty big in there and they also have two closets to play or sleep in. Lately Mama has been meowing a lot and seems annoyed by the kittens constantly being active and pouncing on her. She is still taking care of them, nursing and bathing, but wondering if she needs time alone? Whay do you all think? Is this normal or am I reading too much into this?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She would probably appreciate a place to jump to just to get a bit of peace once in a while. Elsa would go upstairs for a few minutes or jump on some shelves.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With her kittens being between 3 or 4 weeks old, it is very likely that she is going into heat again, which will make her cry alot, and will make her irritable. She does need to get spayed ASAP, but I know from experience it can be hard if she is still lactating. By all means, give her some alone time, but do not give her a chance to get pregnant again.

stelladora99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought she might be going into heat again. The kittens are nursing only about twice a day, they love kitten food and water. I may get her spayed sooner then later

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would deff give her some alone time without the kittens

stelladora99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the rest of the story....

Kittens weaned beautifully and we kept them all together with mama for 12 weeks. It ended up being two little girls and 1 little boy. All were healthy, mama included!
Mama hated our dog but we found a great home for her where she was spayed. Little boy (whitetip) found a new home and was neutered, little girl 1(bella) found a home and was spayed and little girl (2) fatty patty has been with us for a year now and has been spayed.
I really thought they were russian blue but after some research, I believe they have more Chartreux in them after doing some light research. Patty's fur is not like our other cats. It is more like a wool, very dense and plush. She is an awesome cat and is very close to my 10 year old daughter. My daughter has type 1 diabetes and whenever she checks her blood sugar, patty is right beside her whenever she hears the beeping noise. She is so playful and just a really funny cat. Here are two recent pics