Please help... Fostered Stray Cat Looks Sad

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I've been feeding this stray cat every day, 3 meals a day, for about a year now. I found him hiding under the bushes yesterday morning and his right face, ear and neck are covered with blood. Thinking that he might have gonna into a fight with other stray cats again (he's a fighter, he is neutered), I called up my local SPCA clinic and brought him in for treatment.

They sedated him in order to do any treatment on him as he is really agressive towards them. The doctor found out that he had a really bad ear infections in both ears but his right ear is much more worse than the left and hence he scratched himself to bleeds due to the fluid inside the ear. Doctor couldn't access to his eardrum clearly due to the pus and fluid hence she is putting him on 22 days of antibiotics and 21 days of steroid. He will need to go back for a follow-up treatment in two weeks time. He will need to be sedated again. They will see if there's any improvement, to check if his ear drum is rupture or no and if there's no improvement, they'll need to take a culture test to check what kind of antibiotics works for whichever bacteria that's inside his 👂.

I'm keeping him in as of now, as I planned to keep him in till he fully recovered before releasing him back to where he is from. But of course, if he is able to adapt to indoor and get along well with my indoor cat without fighting, I'll be more than happy to adopt him. Heck, I cried a river and even took leave from work as I'm so worried for him. I just want him to be happy and healthy..

But now the issue is that he seems unhappy and depressed as he's suddenly confined to indoor. As per the vet advice, we're not too sure if he's FELV/FIV negative, therefore it's better if we don't let the stray cat be near to my indoor cat. We are living in a small apartment that's high floor, windows are all meshed up. We got to keep both my indoor cat and the stray cat in two separated playpen when we are out at work. We will take turns to let each of them out to play and sometimes both of them out at the same time under supervise to prevent any interaction of etc.

Now that I'm seeing the stray cat being sad, not being the active self when he's on the street, him meowing loudly at the main door and him clawing at the door to be let out, I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing to keep him indoor while he's still on medication..

If I were to let him back to the street now, we are able to feed him the medication during morning and night. However, I'm just afraid that he might disappear or that his infection will get worse.

What do you guys think? Any advise on should I keep him indoor as of now till he's fully recovered from his ear infections or should I let him have his freedom and be happy again? I'm really at loss.

He's eating and peeing as per usual. But he haven't poop since I brought him home last noon. He's using the litter box just fine. Should I be worried that he's not pooping since yesterday?

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even though he will temporarily be unhappy about it, it is better to keep him indoors. Not only in terms of making sure he gets his meds but also in terms of keeping him clean to ensure the infection clears up. I've had to crate a cat with a broken leg and he hated every moment but ultimately it was the right thing to do for his long term health.

As to pooping, it's not uncommon for it to take a day or two in a strange environment plus the antibiotics. I'd call the vet and ask them for advice to be safe though. Also, you might want to add a second litter box just in case it's a case of he doesn't like to poop where he has peed. I know with my aforementioned cat, he'd only poop after I cleaned the litter box of pee because he is a picky child.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Kieka Kieka to keep him indoors. Though not his ideal preference it will be much better for his overall healing.
Perhaps you can try playing with him to take his mind off of confinement? I can see how having something to chase after may relieve some of the stress he's under. It will also help bound him to you if that's going to happen.

Also has he been neutered yet? If he's intact he will be more likely to want to escape.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I've been feeding this stray cat every day, 3 meals a day, for about a year now. I found him hiding under the bushes yesterday morning and his right face, ear and neck are covered with blood. Thinking that he might have gonna into a fight with other stray cats again (he's a fighter, he is neutered), I called up my local SPCA clinic and brought him in for treatment.

They sedated him in order to do any treatment on him as he is really agressive towards them. The doctor found out that he had a really bad ear infections in both ears but his right ear is much more worse than the left and hence he scratched himself to bleeds due to the fluid inside the ear. Doctor couldn't access to his eardrum clearly due to the pus and fluid hence she is putting him on 22 days of antibiotics and 21 days of steroid. He will need to go back for a follow-up treatment in two weeks time. He will need to be sedated again. They will see if there's any improvement, to check if his ear drum is rupture or no and if there's no improvement, they'll need to take a culture test to check what kind of antibiotics works for whichever bacteria that's inside his 👂.

I'm keeping him in as of now, as I planned to keep him in till he fully recovered before releasing him back to where he is from. But of course, if he is able to adapt to indoor and get along well with my indoor cat without fighting, I'll be more than happy to adopt him. Heck, I cried a river and even took leave from work as I'm so worried for him. I just want him to be happy and healthy..

But now the issue is that he seems unhappy and depressed as he's suddenly confined to indoor. As per the vet advice, we're not too sure if he's FELV/FIV negative, therefore it's better if we don't let the stray cat be near to my indoor cat. We are living in a small apartment that's high floor, windows are all meshed up. We got to keep both my indoor cat and the stray cat in two separated playpen when we are out at work. We will take turns to let each of them out to play and sometimes both of them out at the same time under supervise to prevent any interaction of etc.

Now that I'm seeing the stray cat being sad, not being the active self when he's on the street, him meowing loudly at the main door and him clawing at the door to be let out, I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing to keep him indoor while he's still on medication..

If I were to let him back to the street now, we are able to feed him the medication during morning and night. However, I'm just afraid that he might disappear or that his infection will get worse.

What do you guys think? Any advise on should I keep him indoor as of now till he's fully recovered from his ear infections or should I let him have his freedom and be happy again? I'm really at loss.

He's eating and peeing as per usual. But he haven't poop since I brought him home last noon. He's using the litter box just fine. Should I be worried that he's not pooping since yesterday?
You are doing the right thing do not let him out again. Some of my cats years ago were in out in after rescuing them from outside but it is not easy- you have to train them very well. He’s going to be much safer inside. Just give him time to adapt to it, give him his own room or cage him- that is a very good way to help them adapt to being inside again.
Introduce them slowly to your other cats, don’t try to do it too fast. I am doing that now with the cat I just recently TNR. He was aggressive at first but now he’s doing very well. He was originally a recently dumped cat and he was very frightened, it took almost 2 years to get him! See my post.

The life living outside as a stray or feral is very difficult, believe me you do not want to see that happen for him. I just lost two of my outdoor cats over the past year and it was so very painful. I took both of them in when they became ill and tried to save them but it was too late.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are definitely doing the right thing keeping him inside until he's recovered, it will keep him safe and prevent him from being attacked by other animals that might see he is weakened and go after him.

It's normal for some outdoor Cats to want to get back outside, cry and scratch at doors, and randomly cry for long periods of time. Some adapt quickly while some take a long time, it just depends on the individual Cat.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep him inside. He may be sad because he feels bad. Sick and antibiotics as well as a new environment are a lot for a kitty. However, every cat I have brought in, at some point decided that inside was safe, filled with good good, good temperatures and lots of love. Of the many I have brought in, only three will even go outside now. They go on a harness for safety. That kitty may not understand yet but he just got verrry lucky! You saved him. That infection could have done far more damage without your help. Give him time and be patient. I know our hearts go out to them when they seem sad but you have done wonderful things for him snd he will begin to understand. When he starts feeling better you may see a change. Ask your vet about adding some plain puréed canned pumpkin to his food if he does not poop. Right now just try adding a little water to his food. Canned/wet food . Hopefully he will poop as soon as he relaxes. Bravo to you for being such a fantastic and caring human!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There are way too many possibilities for him to be injured. After he,s healed,can get tested and work with him accepting your cat. Being confined in a room is no fun for anyone,animal or human but he should be separated until he is well. He may keep meowing at the window but it will eventually stop as long as he has a tower,chew toys,and play with wands. Even clicker train( in the future) my cats poop every other day and only eat canned

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not let him out. If he is not fixed have him neutered as soon as possible. You will be returning him to the a life of misery since he probably can't hear danger approaching, may not return to eat and even if he does there's no guarantee he will allow you to catch him again. Can he be tested for felv/flv to verify if he has it or not?
Hang in there. Keep us updated. Photos would be great.

Lovable Kittens & Cats

Tenderhearted Mother
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, he will probably get worse because if you let him go, he might not come back or he will get more bacteria. But if he wants out that badly, maybe get him a harness/collar and a leash and walk him around. As for the poop, sometimes cats don't always go every day, but keep an eye on it.

Attachments

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ Lovable Kittens & Cats Respectfully, I must disagree about taking this cat out on a harness & leash. OP wants to have him settled down to staying indoors while he receives necessary care, perhaps even for good. Even fully domesticated cats can panic when put in a harness, or pull out of a collar, can even lay down and refuse to walk. Taking him outside will only strengthen his resolve to get the h*ll outside.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things going today? What is his name? Gypsy sometimes likes to watch videos for cats on you tube, she was the neighborhood stray 5 yrs ago when she decided to adopt us and goes outside in harness. If you let him watch videos, fish ones may be best, be careful since some cats will scratch at the screen. 20220106_120339.jpg
If he will allow it, Gypsy loves to be brushed into what I call her 'melted butter state'. 20211231_214659.jpg

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

INDOORS ONLY. PLEASE. Of course, like with humans, any adjustment takes time. This is for his health and quite possibly his survival, so he needs to be in, safe, where you can administer his medicine and keep an eye on him. Interactive play with a wand-and-lure toy such as Cat Dancer or da Bird, widely available wherever cat supplies are sold online or otherwise, may be helpful, as might some small, safe, catnip toys. Definitely do get him tested, neutered, and baseline innoculations ASAP, for his health and safety.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried comfort grooming on this kitty? I use a cheap plastic comb and hold my thumb horizontally across the teeth to control the "length" of the teeth. I use short,soft 'J' strokes that mimic the licks of a mama kitty. Due to the location of your kitty's injuries, I would try grooming between his shoulders and possibly along his back (most kitties love getting groomed along their neck, between the shoulders but some cats are sensitive about their spine). Once they like the grooming, you can lengthen the teeth of the comb and get into the underfur, which is a chore for most cats to get done well.
Keeping him in is the right thing to do, he just doesn't realize it yet. It could be that he has another feeder or perhaps a kitty buddy that he is missing.