Please help discover the breed of my new cat

jonnyjonnyuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, Yesterday my new cat arrived but I actually bought it 3 years ago for a friend and at that time we thought it was a British Shorthair but from his temperament and looks now it appears the seller all that time ago was not telling the truth. Please could somebody help me know the breed from these photos? I would be most grateful to know the real truth[emoji]9786[/emoji]️

Thanks very much in advance[emoji]9786[/emoji]️

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonnyjonnyuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi) Well it's only been the first day and he does not seem to like lots of attention as far as petting but always follows me and under my feet. He hisses when he wants food and has lashed out just gently with his paw a few times when I try to walk past him. This could be because he's still new to me and a new home but he has been eating, sleeping and using his litter tray normally. I bought him here in Moscow, Russia.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He isnt no shorthair, I dont think so.  Is his tail bushy too?   But he may be British of sorts, looking at his face and body. Although of pet quality. [edit:  clarified what I meant, by changing the layout of words, all words the same]

There are longhaired british. Not very common but they do exists.  Very long they were more or less forbidden among the purists of the British shorthair, but now they are allowed as an own breed.   Highlander??  

Although Highlander are also a totally another breed, recently  purebred of  shorthairs.

It seems also the type is common in Holland, called for the Lowlander.  I suspect this is the equivalent of Nederlands....    Ie another name for Holland.    :)

In short.  My guess he is a British Longhair, not show quality but still decent looking.

If he is purebred with pedigree parents, he may be technically a British shorthair - if both parents were shorthairs, but both were carriers of the long hair gene - and thus, it is not impossible he got out his Pedigree as  British shorthair.   :)

I suppose even it may be allowed.  He cant participate successfully in shows, and not in breeding programmes of british shorthairs, but may be politely called for a british shorthair of pet quality.

All this IF he is purebred and has a Pedigree.   If not, its just loose thoughts.    :)

Good luck!

ps.  I understand you live in Russia and can russian?

Here a link in english and russian, about British, shorthaired and longhaired.

http://mysticat.ru/colours-blh.htm

Pozalujsta!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonnyjonnyuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Stefan, yes he does have a bushy tail. I'm not looking to enter shows just yet and still a cat newbie but thanks for you helpful and informative advice.
I had to have his haircut because it was matted terribly;( maybe this photo without hair can help?

Я могу говорить по русский))