Please help caring for a 2-3 week old orphaned stray kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittencrusader

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The baby is doing well.
Still having bowel movement difficulty. It's been since Sunday at 2pm. Going on 3 1/2 days.
We've been mixing 1 part KMR with 1 part distilled water and 1 part Pedialyte. The kitten has received 2 dosages of laxative within 16hrs prescribed by the vet. I did read pumpkin pureed baby food could be added to the formula and may help. Anyone ever try this?
Everything else with kitten is well. Active, plays, explores, cuddles, feeds, and pees normally. Will be contacting the vet tomorrow.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sure, adding canned pure pumpkin daily gives more fiber and can help her poopoo.

Or also adding oil to her milk gets them straightened out pretty well.

Glad she is doing good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittencrusader

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're back!! All is still well. Kitten has a case of mysterious vanishing poops.( or she's eating them ) It has to be going somewhere.
I was wondering when I can start leaving kitten alone for about 4-5 hours? She's getting way too big and active for me to keep bringing to work.
I'd go home on my lunch to feed her and right after work. She'd be home alone from 7:30-12:30 and then from 1:30-6:00.
We built her a good sized cat palace out of 2 large cardboard boxes. Has a sleeping quarter and a hallway to a litter box. Will be installing a kitten cam this weekend.

Thanks

henhoushotln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi there!

Kitten is not more than 2 weeks old.

Which means needs 3 things.

Warmth, food, potty help. Pottying and warmth are for the next week, after that they basically are okay without help.

Warmth, not blanket type but a heat source, best is a heating pad on low covered with a towel.

If not, then a rice filled sock heated, or a water bottle with hot water covered, or even a ziploc storage baggie doubled works.

Keep temp as consistent as possible. Never feed cool, baby should feel the same temp as you are, and a great way to warm is in your hands, underarm or neck. 

Paws and ears should not feel cool or cold.

Feeding-always on tummy, not over like a human baby. Set on a table in front of you or on your lap with a towel, tummy down, head tilted up, syringe a couple drops at a time into the cheek, not down the throat. 

(some of this you seem to know already :)

Baby should weigh at least 6 ounces, so in a 24 hour period will need 48 mls of kmr formula. The powdered type is preferred.

(8 mls per ounce of weight per day)

You best friend right now is a scale that weighs in ounces/grams.

This is because the baby needs to be weighed daily to ensure a weight gain of at least 8+ grams a day. Less than this days in a row and it will catch up to him and risk his life.

You can feed every 3 hours if fed is on the hour, not 3 hours after finishing the last feeding. This is alot easier to figure out the right amt to feed.

Don't worry about overfeeding either, allow him/her to take as much as they want.

Also you can post a pic of the genital area and I can tell you male or female. I have this feeling it's a girl but.....

Pottying, sounds like you got it going on now.

The stinky baby smell.

You can bathe, carefully of course.

Dawn dish soap, start with making a ring around the neck of suds, this is so fleas wont climb on to the face when wet.

Soap ring around neck, then wet and soap up the body.

Rinse well, the longer the baby is in water the better for losing any fleas on it.

Towel dry well and blow dry on low temp with your hand in front to block the heat from torching the skin.

If no dryer, towel dry well and keep with you against your body, fluffing the fur until dry.

That's about it!

The biggest danger is fleas, so a bath isn't a bad idea. 

Looks healthy and darling of course, I love that you took this precious little lost kid in :)
You sound Like you know what your talking about. We have a 3 week old kitten that we cant get to pee...any suggestions? We've had him for about 6 hrs, from what I understand, he should be urinating every 2 hours?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You sound Like you know what your talking about. We have a 3 week old kitten that we cant get to pee...any suggestions? We've had him for about 6 hrs, from what I understand, he should be urinating every 2 hours?
How are you stimulating the kitten? A wet cotton ball or rag usually works well. Move it against the kitties bottom like a momma cat would when licking them. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens wont pee every 2 hours, but if you just got it today and 6 hours later has not peed, this tells me he has not been fed nearly enough kmr where he came from and is or on his way to being dehydrated.
This will also cause constipation.

What and how much are you feeding?

Last edited: