Please Help, Baby Kitten Always Hungry.

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a baby kitten I've been raising for a week now after a feral mom rejected it. It's eyes are open and it's just starting getting it's bottom cleaning teeth in, so 2-3 weeks old?

The problem is he's always hungry. I can feed him 8 mils of goat's milk and he'll be crying again an hour or two later. A couple more mils then another small break, and so on. He looks like he swallowed a tennis ball. I'm legitimately worried about overfeeding him and rupturing something since he's so tiny.

He hasn't had the best health either, hence why the mom probably rejected him. He had terrible chunky yellow diarrhea, but that's gotten better since I started him on liquid fenbendezole. He's had two doses so far. Tonight will be the third.

Now he's constipated if anything. I've added a couple drops of mineral oil to his milk, but haven't been sure how often to repeat. He did poop this morning (yellow with a solid brown poop), but what's going in isn't matching how often what's coming out.

He's also extremely thin, all bones (only 150-200 grams) and has green eye discharge occasionally. I've been treating that with colloidal silver and it's slowly improving. Otherwise, he's become a tiny ball of milk seeking energy. The dewormer really increased his energy AND his appetite.

What can I do to help him be more comfortable? Am I feeding too much or too little? Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be thorough in case any small detail matters.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about your poor kitten. I really can't offer much except to say that he probably should be seen by a vet. There is likely an illness going on, and that is why - as you said - mama probably abandoned him.

It sounds like you are doing a good job of treating his symptoms, which is great! But, if there is an underlying cause for the symptoms, none of issues will go away permanently. And if the true cause is identified, perhaps there is a treatment that will resolve most if not all the issues.

I trust that other members who have much more experience than I do with feeding a kitten will come along soon and offer some tips/ideas. So, check back often for new responses!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately a vet isn't really an option, unless I know it's a bacterial infection and antibiotics are needed. Our vet isn't very good/knowledgeable about baby kittens (something I learned recently when we nearly lost 2 older abandoned kittens from hypoglycemia. She was stumped why it even happened.) She's only good for basic help like prescriptions, nothing fancy.

I'm hoping an experienced kitten raiser here will know if the extreme hunger is just from worms (and will pass) or Starving Kitten Syndrome and if I'm feeding too much or not.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say I'm experienced as @catsknowme or @Jcatbird is, but
I did feed the two I raised every two hours. Formula Kitten milk replacement, if you can get it, I couldn't with the first and used that for puppies, but made it a little thicker and added raw egg. Goat's milk is good too. Be sure it's warm, not hot, test it on your wrist.

I can't help with the antibiotics. I do remember the first one got sick the second day and I got some liquid antibiotics from the vet and put them into his bottle.

Other members should be along soon.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
found this from @Sarthur2 on another thread in case you are worried about the act of feeding him
"In the meantime, the kittens need to be fed 1-2 mLs of kitten formula every 1-2 hours with a needleless syringe. Feed tummy down, head up, drops in the side of the mouth slowly."

If you've got him drinking from a bottle that's good. You don't need to change back to a needless syringe.

When he's fed you need to gently rub your finger from his neck to his tail until he burps. But I think you already know that.

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't have honey in the house, as one family member is allergic. I did try clear corn syrup last week when he was still feeling sick, but stopped when it prevented him from falling asleep after eating from the sugar rush. His energy levels are good, and he's not hypoglycemic or dehydrated.

This is by no means my first bottle baby, he's actually the 9th, but I've only seen this level of hunger once before. They were older than him though and it wasn't as bad. I feed goat's milk because kmr isn't available here.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goat's milk is fine. It's the one those who know who aren't here at the moment always suggest when you can't get KMR. So that's good.
I raised one who was hungry most of the time and just went with it. It doesn't mean something is wrong with him and it gives him more of your touch, which is good.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This was a home-made formula listed in the site I noted above:

Home-made kitten formula (Kitten Glop)
  • 8 ounces water (boiled then cooled)
  • 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
  • 8 ounces whole evaporated milk (not skim)
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (not low fat)
  • 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (not low fat)
  • 1 large or 2 small eggs yolks (raw)
  • 1 teaspoon clear Karo syrup
Boil the water, add the gelatin and mix well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition:

1/2 of the canned milk
Mayonnaise and Yogurt
Rest of the milk
All other ingredients

You can substitute canned goat's milk for the canned evaporated milk, if you prefer it. This mixture will keep in the fridge for up to four days. It is jello-like in consistency in the fridge so you can just scoop out as much as you need and warm. It can also be frozen in ice cube trays and defrosted as needed.

From 1 to 3 weeks: Feed every 4 hours (6 feedings per day)
From 3 to 4 weeks: Feed every 5 hours (5 feedings a day)
1 week: 32cc
2 weeks: 54cc
3 weeks: 80cc
4 weeks: 104cc

Sorry, if we are throwing too much stuff at you.

I am going to go do some research on kittens and tapeworm treatments.

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
He was eating about 56 mils daily (for his 7 oz weight) and was happy, but has recently been wanting a ton more.

Oh, maybe! The extreme hunger did start after the dewormer. It has been fixing his bad yellow
diarrhea though, so I'm hesitant to skip his last dose... I have been giving it to him after he eats though, rather than on an empty stomach.

Roundworms are very common here, not tapeworms. Also possibly giardia.

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks. I'll try that again.

I've just been uncertain if the original yellow diarrhea was from parasites or giardia, and haven't been sure if I should give the dewormer for 3 or for 5 days. Last night I did see his first weight increase in the week I've had him (he had actually lost 50 grams a few days ago because of the bad diarrhea) giving a positive sign the dewormer is fixing something. His energy has been a lot better too. I've just been unsure why his hunger has been so bad now. I just fed him 8 mils at 5, and it's only 6:20 here and he's already crying for more. His belly hasn't gone down yet either. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't tell you about how long to do the dewormer, sorry. :sniffle: But, what you are using is supposed to also be for giardia. I also don't know what dosage you are using, but have read that 3 treatments is standard. Unfortunately, I've seen documentation that talks about up to 5 treatments.

Where are our kitten experts when we need them????