Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry. I hope the medication will help them! :heart3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rcj92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much to both of you, me too. I feel so guilty them being locked into the spare room :( its awful, I miss them so much too just pottering around. They don't now what's going on. The vet said its so rare that they usually aren't licensed for the medication so had to pull a few strings, fingers crossed the medicine works, just can't wait till we can start treatment!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That really is a rare waterborne disease - much more common is Giardia !!! I have not heard of Cryptosporiduim in a very, very long time. My vet actually had a cat with this. It was a LONG time ago and I think she never really was able to rid the cat of the parasite but was able to manage the symptoms quite well. Sometimes, her cat needed fluids - if I remember correctly. I am REALLY hoping there is new medications now for this illness and that your vet is able to get them. Those poor little ones and poor you, too. :grphug: At the very least, now you know what you are dealing with and can potentially find a way to cure them. :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

rcj92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for that, i really hope they are cured otherwise I don't really know what I am going to do with them because truth be told, I can't handle it. I am so upset by it all, the vet warned me they may not have the answers and its very difficult to treat. For one its a risk to humans especially those with weakened immune systems, children and the elderly, my cats are not the cleanest, paws in poo and it gets everywhere, I have a huge fear of germs to the point it controls my life and having cats were meant to help me with that but now I am completely utterly on edge with it all, I have had to confine them to the study and I feel afraid every time I approach them yet its my job to make sure they feel loved still and for another, I realise living with this the rest of their lives could cut them short, I am devastated by the whole thing and I am not really sure what I'd do if the verdict was, can't be cured. If I lose my babies or had to give them away, it'd rip my heart to shreds there in the spare room, and I miss them to the moon and back them just being there and I feel like the cruel most awful Mum, I wish I could have them purring round me, playing and running round the living room and sitting on my lap 24/7 its breaking my heart just this and the idea of them never being cured with my mental health issues and with the threat of a life cut short, my heart is entirely torn to shreds by it. I don't even want to think about giving them away but in the end if I can't get them better I may have no choice, I can't afford the vet bills, my phobia is huge, I just dunno what I am going to do and I pray it comes to neither. Because my babies are not just pets, there my world and my best friends and I don't think I'd ever get over it :(

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can feel your strain and sadness over this shocking revelation of this diagnosis and completely understand your feelings :alright:. Are you 100% sure of this diagnosis, did you see the pathology report? Was it a PCR (Polymerase chain reaction) test that was done? Could you bring the information to another vet for a second look or would that just be too much for you, probably so. I guess I am just wondering HOW in the world your new kitten became infected with this waterborne illness? It is so rare. :sigh: I would think there has to be a way to "cure" them and wonder if you could get a second opinion on this. I wonder if you could contact the breeder (?) that you bought your kitten from and ask them about Cryptosporidium. I would think they would want to know that the kitten they sold you was infected and HOW? Might they be willing to shed some light on this for you. I am assuming this was brought in by the kitten since your 6 month old was fine and healthy before, correct?! Anyway - just my thoughts rambling on and my heart going out to you. :heart2: I totally understand your down and out and panic over this matter and problem. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

rcj92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am 110% sure of the diagnosis, they have been thoroughly tested, 110% my vets are the best you can possibly come across and I'd never doubt them, not once, and they will be happy to show me the report as they have said but they definitely have this I am afraid, there's no removing it or being in denial, there is no vet better then them and I'd never trust any other vet around here, these vets are amazing and they are very close friends of mine now after trusting them with my rabbits life when she should have died due to a brain tumor, she was a miracle and no doubt the work of the vets became that miracle. I wish this was a dream but no it isn't and to think anything else would be denial. They have had thorough testing which costs £100 a shot to start with and going to another vet would achieve nothing and I am not risking their health further when they are with the best of the best, the lab who does the testing wouldn't make up they found this parasite in their stool.

I don't know but she was ill on day one when I got her, she had watery diarrhea the same night I got her, the last owners refused to give me my money back pretending she wasn't ill, the vet says there's no way she was not ill, I have searched on how it can be caught, one breeder told me it can be caught due to outdoor Mum's not being vaccinated, I have also heard its very common in outdoor cats, another possibility is my kitten the last owners admitted to letting her out from 6 weeks old, outside!! when she hasn't even had her injections yet and she's now 5 months old!! and another cause can be over crowded places and unhygienic environments. The horrible thing is the vet says sometimes symptoms don't show in carriers of the parasite and she says all those cat in her her care and all those kittens most likely have it, symptoms or no symptoms. The last owners still refused to refund me and I am building a case on them that I am going to take to an animal charity to ban them from ever breeding again and I am hoping for compensation after my oldest very healthy cat getting ill too, he really didn't deserve this. They tried to blame me because my oldest became ill a month after getting her!! One month!! It had nothing to do with my oldest, he's been vet checked more than I can count, he's been healthy from day one, had all his injections, never been outdoors and never had a single health issue, this little one had diarrhea the SAME night i got her, the vets dewormed her because the last owners said we 100% had her fully vet checked so they weren't worried..... they thought stress, diet change were possibilities too if only we had all known. Some people should never be breeders and its cost the health of my oldest who doesn't need or deserve it. And it hit him harder too. The breeders are the cause of this, the breeders I will never speak directly to again they are an utter disgrace, they only care about their money, took their £70 and refused to give it back to me, when I told them Marvel had been ill, they refused further and demanded to have her back even calling her by her old name after having her 2 months, most likely to sell her straight back on, they couldn't and wouldn't tell me the name of their imaginary vets they claimed vet checked her, asked several times, they wouldn't tell me as my vet wanted to ring and talk to them about this, we are now going to be contacting RSPCA once a strong case has been held against them. I never want them to breed again and I want them to be forced to tell all the other new buyers of what their kittens may have. They know fine well Marla is ill and knew from day one, this had nothing to do with me, this had everything to do with them. She had watery horrible diarrhea the same night before i even fed her and it was horrific for me and unexpected, i was cleaning it off my carpet. The breeders are the cause of this. Thank you for your thoughts.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am 110% sure of the diagnosis, they have been thoroughly tested, 110% my vets are the best you can possibly come across

The breeders are the cause of this. Thank you for your thoughts.
Happy to hear how much you trust your vets and that is a huge blessing and relief to feel that way knowing the kittens are in the best possible care and with excellent treatment plans. Very glad you have these vets, especially now. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Yes - of course, these breeders are at fault and they should know that all of their cats are carrying this parasite and it is extremely infuriating that they are hiding this and/or not disclosing this information to adopters. :( I am so, so, so very sorry for you, Marla and Marvel. I wish there was more I could do and say but know that the vibes are coming your way and I hope that your wonderful vets can find a way to help you and your kittens. Please keep us updated on how they are doing and how you are holding up. We care.... :hugs: :grphug: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

rcj92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Im having a bit of a panic now, what if I have the illness and symptoms hit me? I am phobic of illness to point id rather die, feel like i dont want them in house anymore right now, im freaking out, how do i cope with this, i need to talk to someone whose been here before :'(

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a deep breath and calm down. It's Ok, these parasites don't attack humans. There is NO WAY you can catch this illness. You must observe hygienic practice like washing your hands in case you carry it to other cats in other places, which is possible, but not to humans.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand your concern, really I do. :hugs: Could you discuss with your vet about the risks to humans from cats carrying Crytospordia? You have a great respect and trust in your vets and I bet they will know the facts. :nod: I think they would be able to let you know for sure how to protect yourself if need be and if there is a real worry or not. More vibes for ALL OF YOU. I am so sorry you and the kittens are having to deal with this. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited: