Please Help/ Advise

scarecrow5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok...I have a pretty heavy situation and no solution. I recently rescued a total of 11 cats/kittens from an abandoned property. All were fixed and rehomed except for 2 kittens (6 months and 10 months) they are both males and fixed. There were 2 female cats out there that I had a hard time catching, not feral, just scared, they just began letting me pet them. I caught one on 2/23 and the other on 2/27 we had big storms coming in so I wanted to get them safe. I have a foster, she has the two kittens and now has these two girls. They are kept in a large basement room with a window and she interacts with hem several times a day. The two females have not been fixed yet as we JUST caught hem and was letting them settle a minute before taking them next week to be fixed. Well, one is a long haired calico we call Callie, turns out she is pregnant. (taking her to the vet tomorrow to see how far along) Like has grown ALOT in the last 3 days. The problem is, she is suddenly turning aggressive, to where she bit the foster mom 2 times today and is mean towards the other three cats there. I understand that this is very normal behavior for a pregnant female. Here's the problem, we have NO WHERE else to take and or house/foster the other cats to separate them, there is no way to separate them. Foster mom has 3 large dogs and a cat of her own, so this large room is the only place she can keep these cats. There is no one else willing to help me foster them or keep them temporary. (I do have a place for the two male kittens however, the person has not called me back yet to come and take them). So these 4 cats are in a very large room and momma isn't happy. Any suggestions? I truly mean there is absolutely no where to take and place these cats to separate them. Shelters are all full and refuse, reached out to rescue groups, refused, they are full, there is no where and nothing that can help. Any suggestions on making it doable in a room where they can all live together for the time being? Its a pretty long room, and momma stays at one end, the other female kind of stays in the middle where the kittens used to hang out, now the kittens are kind of pushed out of "their spot" and are by the door now and kind of lost. (the kittens were 100% feral when we got them but foster mom has tamed them down and they LOVE her but still are frightful of a lot o things). Any suggestion? I'm desperate in a situation where there is no solution it seems.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kudos for getting those kitties off the streets!! You might be able to get a large box such as an appliance box and make it into a kitty cave with cat bed inside. Depending on the size of the room, you might be able to corral off a portion of the room for the aggressive cat, using some sort of cord strung across the ceiling and sheets or long drapes. you can anchor the sheets with 2'x4's weighed down with bricks or rocks. It will look very primitive but will be inexpensive, fast & easy until a better solution comes along.
I am sure the better ideas will be coming along soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarecrow5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you catsknowme. I am very open to any and all suggestions as I have to make this work but need to make sure all is safe as well. So please keep ideas coming.

I should have noted/explained that my house is full, I have 5 cats of my own as well, one of them was from this rescue group and was deathly ill and I ended up keeping her because two different potential forever homes fell thru and I have a dominate male who is making life a living hell for 2 of my 5 cats, I have to keep them all separated as it is. So I have a bathroom that is it, and that is no life for any cat to be in 24/7 for who knows how long. :( So my hands are tied as well.
I will look at getting a large box for her and see if that helps and look into the sheet thing, that may work as long as the kittens don't climb it lol. We all know kittens like to climb curtains haha.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes I agree. Big dog cages or similiar is a working solution. And you can of course let them get out to strech their leg when appropriate.

Tx for helping them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarecrow5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ. I have looked at a few dog crates/kennels on swaps and online. I just hate the thought of caging any animal like that, so wanted to make that last resort and avoid if at all possible, but when it comes to safety and no solution it may have to come to that. :( There is also a chance too that she may actually LIKE it to feel safe just hard to tell, but she loves being in the window and that would take that away from her.

I hate this, however, I am VERY thankful that she is there though and not still out in the streets and ended up having those babies under the porch of the abandoned house.

I have never rescued on this level before and its been one trial after another and getting help is like pulling weeds from a dry desert...it doesn't exist. :(