PLEASE HELP! 23yr old cat won't eat

shortgirl888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom's cat, Rainbow, is refusing to eat. She's at least 23 years old, and her health has been declining for the last few years, but she's still hanging on. I talked to my mom last night & she said she thinks Rainbow has a sore in her mouth that's making it very painful to eat anything. The only thing my mom has been able to get her to eat/drink is cow's milk. I was thinking that maybe some kitten formula may be more nutritional than cow's milk? Or would that not work since she's obviously not a kitten. Any advice/help is welcome!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cows milk is not very good for cats, especially a senior like yours. I would call the vet and see what kind they recommend, also try to see if there is an ulcer in the cats mouth and if there is, what can be done, or what medication can be given. At that wonderful age I would give the sweetheart WHATEVER she wants and can eat! She HAS to have something nutritious. Try baby food, I bet she would love a jar of one of the meats or even a stew. Take a fork and mash up some tuna or sliced meat, you may have to take the place of her teeth.Offer soft, wet foods, I'm sure her teeth are bad at that age. Good luck and please give her a kiss for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shortgirl888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I have passed the message on to my mom!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And if she doesn't like KMR, goat's milk is okay to feed cats, but not usually cow's milk.  But I would think if she can get any pate style cat food, preferably Hills A/D (requires a prescription though), and add water to it to make it every soupier, then this senior can pretty much lap it up.  The Hills A/D has extra nutrients in it for cats recovering from illnesses, so it would probably be very good for this old girl.