Please Assist!! Introducing stray to cats

elusive_x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Canada- it must have been minus 20 when i heard a cat howling on someone's porch when I was heading to a local pub one night--
I knocked the door- wasn't their cat...
So I came back in 5 to see if it was still lost..
It was freezing and cuddled in my arms... so I brought it home..

Now... i have two other cats- two boys- one gets along with her fine-- the other--- well, I have resorted to putting him on a leash around her because he pounces... She has been declawed so I am afraid of an unfair fight.
On the leash he stalks her, and needs to be restrained significantly... though i must add at one point they slept on the same bed-- but as soon as she moved too quickly he ran after her... she swatted -- I yelled.. they ran... and thats as far as I let it get...
She's fine as long as they keep distance- but he is acting out increasingly because of the leash/ the split rooms/ and split of attention...

What to do?????

Should i start shopping around for a new home? ( i really love her so that would be last resort)

Additional Info-
Its been two weeks
I had her checked by vet

Thank you for your time and consideration.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, bless you for rescuing the poor girl (damn the people who declawed and later abandoned her
)
Second, you need to calm down. Check out the stickies above on cat introductions. I don't think you will have a hard time. Your "aggressive" boy is acting normal. He is nervous around the newcomer and is trying to figure her out. Besides, it's been only 2 weeks.
Third, I would not leash your boy. He can feel your emotions when you tug or pull him. And avoid yelling - cats think you are egging them on by shouting. Let him check her out from a safe distance (like putting her in a carrier when they're in the same room). Do the scent exchange/vanilla trick. Be patient too.
Good luck!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet checked to make sure she didn't have a microchip right? Did you place an ad to see if anyone claimed her. Maybe her previous owners didn't leave her out in the cold, maybe she ran away.

Also you should try Feliway.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guys, Feliway is not always the magic answer. Does it help? Yes, but not instantly. Depending on the age of the kitten or cat (6 months and older are affected by it) younger than that, don't waste your time. It can take anywhere from 7 -24 hours to a few days before the plug-ins work (depending on how large or small your home/apartment is.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Guys, Feliway is not always the magic answer. Does it help? Yes, but not instantly. Depending on the age of the kitten or cat (6 months and older are affected by it) younger than that, don't waste your time. It can take anywhere from 7 -24 hours to a few days before the plug-ins work (depending on how large or small your home/apartment is.
It helped us with
Lynxx
alot believe me! It helped more then the medicine he was put on. I didn't know it didn't work for young kittens. It also worked on Luna who was 3 months at the time. It never (even now) worked on Midnight.

We never used the plug ins, we only used the spray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elusive_x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for replies... I really appreciate it.

I have had her checked for microchips.. posted ads (which seem to attract cat hoarders) and check for signs...

I think you are right about the leash..

May I ask, -- I am so nervous about the jumping at each other --
he will approach. sometimes jump on her.. she will scream and run.. he will run after and then i get so scared i close the door again..
Do i let them fight it out a bit? (eek)

I will do the carrier trick and the vanilla thing immediately.

Again, than you all for your support
( I am kind of stressed over all this- I do not want to take her to the shelter.. i really lub her)

elusive_x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just did the carrier introduction--

my male cat ( Coby) slowly stalked his way up to it.. and then she started getting upset.. after a few minutes i tried to move him and he attacked my slipper...
should i continue doing this through out the day? Should i let him go up to it?
is the attacking shoe thing okay?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep them apart for a bit longer. Find a small room where the new cat can be isolated and take it slow. I doubt you want to fight the icy roads while trying to rush an injured cat to the vet.

elusive_x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some more detailed instruction...
i kept them apart.. this intensified situation.. my male cat snuck in the room when I was opening the door...
He ran after her and attacked her under the bed...

they are both very shaken up..
he is such an aggressive hard headed cat..
I am wondering if i should give up and find her another home where she won;t be stressed out.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't despair.

I've had cats who never, ever got along. The fights were minimized via "time outs" for the aggressor and rewards for good behavior.
Did you try the scent exchange (rub towel on old cat and then rub on new one)or the vanilla trick (a dab of vanilla extract under each cat's chin and at the base of each cat's tail (on top, not on their bottom)? The purpose is to make them smell the same and hopefully accept each other.

elusive_x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay..
i will try harder.
Thank you all.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hang in there. It may take some time and patience but it will be well worth it. You have done a wonderful thing to rescue her. Patience is the key.