Please Advise On Feral Kittens

Tirancha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there everyone!

The neighborhood kids found three feral kittens not far away and abandoned them next to my moms home. Is there any way I can find the mother? They are about 5-6 weeks old. Maybe even 8. I am not based in the US and therefore there is no shelter I can go to. I am upset and really want to help those kitties and find a solution. I know where the kids found them but it is has been over 24 hours if not more!

Please, please advise!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello T Tirancha , welcome to TCS!

It's hard to say if the actual fact did the momma cat abandoned her own kittens or something happened to the momma cat and therefore she's not seen to be around her kittens.

At this age, they are able to eat wet food and if you can, get the KMR milk replacer for them to drink nor mix it with the wet food. The kittens need the nourishment from the milk to grow.

Can you bring them indoors and prepare a safe place for them to eat and rest and look after them and nurse them to health and either you keep them or have them adopted. Have a litter box or two for them and fresh water all the time and placing the food and water away from the litter box.

Kittens need to stay with their momma till they are at least 12 weeks old so that they can be taught all manners from their momma. But, you still can socialize them now since you'll start feeding them and they'll get use to you pretty quickly. I don't think they are really feral cats at this point.

Here's two articles for you to read :-

i-found-abandoned-kittens-what-should-i-do.33316
kittens-to-good-homes-how-to-find-a-good-forever-home-for-your-kittens.22413

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are now in a good age to foster and socialize them. And later on fairly easy to adopt out.

If this is possible for you please consider it.

Later on they will be more difficult to foster.
Thus with ferales its an exception with this 12 weeks rule mentioned above.