Pleaaaase let Aaru have her kittens safely and SOON...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like she's on the mend. When a cat has a bad reaction to a vaccine, I generally recommend that the vaccine not be given again - ever. If a cat is strictly indoors they do not need the annual vaccines either. I also stop vaccinating my cats as they get older.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd love to abstain from giving it to her, but the truth is that she will not be a strictly indoor cat. I know a lot of people on here disagree with allowing cats to go outside, but I don't feel comfortable forcing her to live a life she doesn't enjoy. She likes to roam free and have adventures. As soon as she is healed after her spay, I'll be allowing her to do as she pleases again. In Virginia, we aren't required to have annual Rabies imms... just the first year, the second year, and every year thereafter. I don't feel really great about having her get them either... I don't know. I'll have to see what my options are.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share that little Ru is feeling sooo much better. She's back to her normal self again... eating dry food, begging for a treat when I go into the kitchen. I am beyond grateful. I was so worried about her the other night. I guess my prayers have been answered. The only downside to this is that she has resumed her total obsession with going outside. I'm so sad for her, but I can't risk another pregnancy. Poor little Ru. A lot of people say "she'll get used to being inside," but she's just not that kind of kitty. She loves the outdoors. I can't wait until after she is spayed. Ugh.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so great to hear, if it's possible I would push the issue of this reaction and ask not to vaccinate her again, at least the rabies.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With whom do I argue this issue? Some state agency? Can they issue a letter of exception or something?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

With whom do I argue this issue? Some state agency? Can they issue a letter of exception or something?
I'm in CA where rabies is not required for cats, so I don't have first hand experience however I do know that they will pardon a cat in states where it is required, but you will need your vet to write a letter with the details and with the recommendation that she does not get vaccinations in the future or it can have dangerous/devastating effects, meaning negative impact on her health.

Pardoning a cat from rabies vaccines won't cause a sudden epidemic, and they know this, so it shouldn't be difficult to get her dismissed of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
forest phoenix forest phoenix

I believe your exemption letter would be filed along with your cat's vaccine registration that the vet's office sends to the county office, which is usually Animal Services. Your vet will know, and should be able to handle this for you.

Last edited:

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know one thing... if she eventually gets it again, I'm going to look for another clinic that actually has the 1 year feline Rabies vaccine, which is supposed to be gentler on kitties. Most clinics in my area just stock the normal 3 year general vaccine, not the feline version. I'll have to decide about this on down the road. Honestly, I'm wondering if I need to be worried about her Distemper combo vaccines, which we had planned to get after the litter is done nursing.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I know one thing... if she eventually gets it again, I'm going to look for another clinic that actually has the 1 year feline Rabies vaccine, which is supposed to be gentler on kitties. Most clinics in my area just stock the normal 3 year general vaccine, not the feline version. I'll have to decide about this on down the road. Honestly, I'm wondering if I need to be worried about her Distemper combo vaccines, which we had planned to get after the litter is done nursing.
If this were my pet, I would most definitely aim for never giving her the rabies vaccine again.

The booster (FVRCP) vaccine is not the same, and depending on what she has been given during her life can help determine what she needs.

Do you know her history, including at kittenhood?

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know her history except that the farmer whose barn she came from said she's never seen a vet or had any shots of any kind. He and the other farmers in this area generally just get free kittens from people who don't want them and set them loose in the barn, unvaccinated. They don't often see cats as animals to care for, but rather as animals that provide a free service to them... at least that's the vibe I've gotten here. She's pretty young herself (maybe 7 months or so). He said she ever had her kitten series or anything.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ru started biting the kittens today!!! I had a friend over and it was her first time meeting the family. We lingered in Ru's room (my art room) longer than I usually linger, and Ru got really weird and started biting the babies! She liked my friend... but was she maybe just overstimulated and getting frisky? The babies didn't seem to be hurt, but she really freaked me out. She opened her mouth wide and was biting down on them about the head, neck, and torso. I don't think she broke the skin, but they were crying. I'm a little worried about this. Is this normal? My friend said she'd seen mother cats do that before when they were feeling frisky, and that it wasn't a cause for concern. Still, I don't think I'll overwhelm her with company other than to take a quick peek and get out of her room. She's almost always left alone with them in there... it was just a longer visit to her room than normal today. Has anyone else ever seen this type of behavior? She's a great mother otherwise... I don't really know how to feel about this. As far as I know, she hasn't done it before (but I don't know for sure).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's best not to bring visitors around while the kittens are so young, as you've experienced. It sounds like mom became overwhelmed and over-protective in response to stress. She needs her privacy.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 I agree, and we won't encroach on her space in the future. It's just weird that she would bite them if she were trying to protect them, right?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not all cats would do that, but I think she may have turned her anxiety onto her kittens.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I've seen this many times. I would also say that it is not all that safe/harmless, she is rough and anxious and easily bite too hard or puncture the skin, which will cause kittens to get abcesses from.

Good idea not to repeat now that you know it upsets her :)

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707 that is very true... I hadn't even thought about the possibility of abscesses. It's ironic that I can't take a good look at them and make sure they're ok without making Ru upset again :(. I did have some friends visit from out of town last night, but we didn't go in Ru's room at all. I let them look at the nest from the hallway for just a second (when Ru wasn't there), and we didn't bother them any more  or any closer than that.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was inspired by the scratching post giveaway (and by my lack of money) to try and make Ru an entertaining scratchy post. I liked the horizontal designs made by the artisan who donated to the giveaway, and I think Ru might like something like this because it would mimic one of her favorite things - a fallen log. I'm not expecting this to be the prettiest scratching post in all the land, but hopefully she will at least use it (and stop destroying my couch and yoga mat). I'll post photos later, after I've finished making it. Wish me luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good luck! My cats prefer furniture over a scratching post any day! ;)

Last edited:

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed! Ru only started to leave the corner of the couch alone after discovering the yoga mat. I guess I should be grateful... at least the yoga mat belongs to me and not my landlord. :) I had to talk him into letting me have pets... he wouldn't be very impressed if she shredded his couch. Haha.

Last edited: