Pleaaaase let Aaru have her kittens safely and SOON...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She's asleep now. She seems very comfortable. No contractions that I can see. It might be a long night :). I'm thinking of sleeping an hour at a time, waking up to check on her. I hope I don't miss anything. She may be one of those kitties that takes a long time to progress to the next stage of labor.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can sleep in the room with her. She'll let you know if she needs you. It could be awhile.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's under the coffeetable now so I might sleep on the couch next to her. But she may still get up and move to another spot... I'm just worried because I sleep like a rock. Even if she doesn't "need" me, I don't want to miss the action :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MEGA PRAYERS AND VIBES FOR A SAFE, QUICK DELIVERY!!!!  Aaru is very blessed to have you watching out for her!!! You are a wonderful cat-guardian 

I will be checking for updates :)

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@catsknowme Thank you so much for your kind words :D. Aaru is still chillin'. She follows me from room to room as I do things around the house, but she doesn't really want me to touch her too much. I guess she just wants me to stay within view. I've been nesting more than she has, cleaning the house and straightening up more than I have in weeks (been working on too many outdoor projects lately and the house is a wreck because I'm never inside to clean it). I just don't want her having her kittens in a chaotic, messy environment. It would be a shame for a kitten to get lost under a pile of laundry or in a tool box that was never put up. Haha. I'm only half kidding.  :) I think I'm going to see if I can borrow a playpen from someone with kids... hopefully it will keep the babes comfortably contained for a week or so until they learn to climb. Then I'll need a new plan. Yikes! Babies are coming!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are things going?

Kittens don't really climb the first 3-4 weeks. ;)

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was up all night then dozed off around 6 AM. Just woke up at 9 when the phone rang. Ru was laying on the floor next to the bed, looking normal, when I came out to talk on the phone. Then she came out to sit with me on the loveseat. After a few minutes, I heard a mewing coming from the bedroom. She had had a baby right next to me on the floor without making a peep, and had left it. We went into the art studio where the best nest is, and Ru got into the nest. I had to show the baby a nipple, but it got the hang of it pretty quick. Ru bit it a couple times and growled, but I kept petting them both and then she started purring and bathing the baby.

Another one was born about a half an hour ago, but it won't latch onto a nipple!!! I'm worried. I keep putting it to a teat, trying to open it's mouth, it just crawls all around Ru and cuddles up to her but it's not eating. How long before that's a concern? Don't they need to feed pretty soon after birth?

Also, is the placenta the clearish balloon-ey thing they are born in, or does it come out separately, attached to the ballooney thing? I haven't seen anything other than the ballooney thing, but she was down there licking and blocking my view so there may have been something else.

What do I do about the one who's too stubborn to open it's mouth for a nipple???? Freaking out a little...

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming that if it won't take a nipple, it probably won't take the nipple of a bottle, either.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Relax. The kitten should nurse shortly.

They are born in a sac. Mom breaks this open. The placenta is separate.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten 2 nursed a little finally. Ki tten 3 just arrived!

The placentas are my concern. I haven't seen any yet, but she has her head down there licking away at herself and baby each time she has one, so I don't know if I'd be able to see it or not. :( I've seen the cords...but I haven't seen the placenta actually come out.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Help! Ru is bleeding a bit. So worried. It's not gushing, but it has been trickling out for about 5 minutes. The vet is closed today and Monday for the 4th. I'm so worried. Is this normal?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much blood do you think you're seeing?  Some bleeding is normal.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe a teaspoon... or a teaspoon & a half. It seems to have stopped now, but she still has more kittens to deliver.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The blood is normal. Mom is most likely eating the placentas.

All sounds well for now! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not certain there's another baby... I felt sure that I felt one earlier... but now I can't feel it. If she doesn't have another one yet to come, is it a cause for concern that her breathing is still shallow and rapid? She's totally zonked out, sleeping while the babes nurse, but she responds with a sound or making air biscuits when I pet her.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not certain there's another baby... I felt sure that I felt one earlier... but now I can't feel it. If she doesn't have another one yet to come, is it a cause for concern that her breathing is still shallow and rapid? She's totally zonked out, sleeping while the babes nurse, but she responds with a sound or making air biscuits when I pet her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many cats continue to pant or breathe heavily for a day or two after delivering. It's hormonal.

Give her a dish of KMR to drink. This seems to help calm mom and replenish her calcium.