Playing in the Litter?

catzorz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats loves to kick up the litter and make a mess every time she goes. As a result, she constantly smells like kitty litter...she gets it all over herself.

Is there anything I can do to deter her from this behavior? I have a smelly cat!

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would make sure the box is clean and try to distract her when she starts playing in the litter, or take her out of the box. This is normal kitten behavior to play in the litter.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They do have litter boxes that have a rim
Tati is a wild kitty in the box, and this helped her somewhat but with Tati it wasn't so much that she got litter all overherself, but more that she sprays it as far across the room as she can get it!.  They also have covered litter boxes, but I haven't tried that yet., I just keep a broom and dustpan near by.  If she smells bad from the kitty litter I would go with what Tiptopper says above about making sure the box is clean, and if it is clean but still smells, you might try a different litter.  Cats cover so as to hide the scent and if she is smelling strong odor, she will be trying harder to cover it up and get rid of that smell.  LOL, my kitties even go in behind each other and give it a few extra tosses of litter is someone has a smelly poo. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catzorz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, she doesn't smell like poop...she smells like the litter. We keep it pretty clean...even when it's fresh, she gets covered it in. Loves to kick up a dust storm! Maybe I'll pick up one of the boxes with the rim around the top and see if it helps. She plays with her toys in/around the litter too. =\

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well if she has to smell like litter at least get a kind you like the smell of.  Our litter boxes are in the bathrooms, and the cats love to play with our hair ties... we always find hairties in the litter.  Sometimes I wish I had a kitty cam to just watch what our kids do while we are away at work.  Hopefully for your kitty this is just a phase and she will soon stop playing in the litter.