Play? Body Language

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Franz and Maddie seem to be bonding well. Maddie had been with us just over a month now, so she is just about a year old. Franz is 8. They mutual groom, no fighting at the food bowls, they exchange meals, even though it's the same damn thing..HA!..and share my bed, though not together. They seem to be playing more and more together at least I hope it's playing; this is where I could use some advise. Body language, Franz's ears are slightly set foward during play, I've read that this is pre attack, or pissed off mode. His tail tip twitches..same definition, yet his tail twitches when I pet him sometimes as well and he is obviously enjoying himself..so not sure I buy that as a negative. Fur...not on end...pupils normal, maybe a little slitty (made up word!) at times. Claws retracted. Now if he wanted to hurt her, he certainly could, he's 16lbs, she's just under 5lbs. He occasionally gets her in a "on her back position" for just a few seconds...she wiggles out quickly. More and more she is returning the punches (batting), again claws retracted. No yelps, no screams, in fact Maddie has only meowed once since she arrived...last night when "we" were in the bathroom...I must have tinkled the proper note, cause she chimed right in...it was melodious, too bad no one else was there, we would have received a standing ovation! Maddie, just seems to being having fun during all their play, but since Franz is the Alpha Boy, I am more concerned about his reaction. Any thoughts?.....

littlebigcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz

Now if he wanted to hurt her, he certainly could, he's 16lbs, she's just under 5lbs.
Barbara, you hit the nail on the head with that one sentence. As long as Franz' postures result in no harm, then no foul. After only one month, he's still in the mode of daily teachings of "who's the boss?" which is done through play posturing. So far, she seems absolutely receptive to the social order, and it sounds like you've got nothing to worry about. That's not to say there won't be some bad days. After all, every pair of playmates get carried away every now and again..
Honestly you want to be on guard for postures getting out of hand. For instance, Franz ambushing Maddie in the litterbox, or cornering her for hours, preventing her from attaining her food, etc. Signs over OVER dominating, which he hasn't come close to, thus far. Sounds like smooth sailing with your alpha boy right now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LittleBigCat

Barbara, you hit the nail on the head with that one sentence. As long as Franz' postures result in no harm, then no foul. After only one month, he's still in the mode of daily teachings of "who's the boss?" which is done through play posturing. So far, she seems absolutely receptive to the social order, and it sounds like you've got nothing to worry about. That's not to say there won't be some bad days. After all, every pair of playmates get carried away every now and again..
Honestly you want to be on guard for postures getting out of hand. For instance, Franz ambushing Maddie in the litterbox, or cornering her for hours, preventing her from attaining her food, etc. Signs over OVER dominating, which he hasn't come close to, thus far. Sounds like smooth sailing with your alpha boy right now!
THANK YOU Little Big Cat..made my week! One more question. Maddie is a semi blind cat. Had an eye removed as a kitten when she was found on the steets as a stray, the other eye was infected as well, but they saved it. Her vision is poor in the remaining eye. Believe me it keeps her from nothing! Do you think Franz knows/senses this, and this is why he is relativley gentle with her? Or am I giving him a bigger IQ than he deserves???? BTW I've only had Franz since March. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little Big Cat and anyone one else with more expertise than me...hey that's everyone!: One more question. Maddie is a semi blind cat. Had an eye removed as a kitten when she was found on the streets as a stray, the other eye was infected as well, but they saved it. Her vision is poor in the remaining eye. Believe me it keeps her from nothing! Do you think Franz knows/senses this, and this is why he is relativley gentle with her? Or am I giving him a bigger IQ than he deserves???? BTW I've only had Franz since March. Thanks again!!!!!!!![/quote]

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
did you ever get an answer to this? I would be interested to know what people said if you did - I know you asked it in another thread but not sure if there were any specific answers...

thanks