Play biting, do you allow?

emilydickinson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Emily will sometimes play bite. I always move my hand away and ignore her, but my husband thinks that she knows that this is just play. What your thoughts on the matter?

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't supposed to be allowed to play bite. If you allow them to, they will think that it's okay to bite you. I will admit, once in a while I let my cat bite me!

Hope this helped,
Eileen

P.S. I advise to move your hand away as you said, and say NO in an authoritative tone.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Play bites: - depends on which cat I'm playing with - and if I have a toy they're directing their bites to, but biting me is a big no no

Love bites: - I have two that give love bites

They do know the difference.

That's been my experience so far.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little. I'll let Tanna gnaw on me - she has a tiny kitten sized mouth and isn't actually biting.

But for teaching cats and ones that do not know the difference between acceptable chewing and rough biting, no.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try to discourage the behavior. I would rather not get bitten up if they forget that I am not as strong as they are, lol.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on which cat. My elderly cat "nips" for attention. She's done this since the day we adopted her and I don't really mind. Speck rarely play bites and doesn't really sink his teeth in. It's kind of funny and I don't mind that. Daisy can get rough and she likes to bite. I try to keep my hands and feet clear of her mouth.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My adult cat likes to chew on people's fingers and ears whenever she can, from when they least expect it to when they are just relaxing together. She never bites down and hurts the skin though. She does the same to the dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilydickinson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think what Emily does is more chewing. She is obviously in a good mood when she does this, all purring and cuddly. My in-laws cat properly bit me which turned into a fun trip to the emergency room in Germany and that is not what Emily Dickinson is trying to do.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't allow biting in kittens or of course when I am trying to do something, (give pills, trim claws, etc)

Tolly nips sometimes when he's had a bad day and is telling me about it, but it is only for emphasis, he is 11, and is not a biter, and never has been, he's been with me since he was five weeks old.

Mazy was a biter when she came here (unsocialized adult) and sent me to the ER twice. She has been trained out of it, as long as I respect her boundaries. It took a long time for her to learn to stop herself from biting. It's still there, under the surface, she can't help it, but she has it under control.

Jennie was a nipper when she first came (adult stray) but learned in one day that it's not allowed.

Queen Eva is a baby so of course is just learning that we don't bite Mommie in this house. I do not use hands or feet as toys, but sometimes she wraps herself around my hand before I can stop her. I tell her no in disapproving tones, and put her down.

She's recently discovered the Blanket Monsters in bed, but she's also learning that pouncing on my feet in bed gets her picked up and put on the floor. She bounces right back up of course, but she's learning.

So no, I don't allow biting.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

She's recently discovered the Blanket Monsters in bed, but she's also learning that pouncing on my feet in bed gets her picked up and put on the floor. She bounces right back up of course, but she's learning.
I have two foot pouncers. Blasa and Siri. Blasa is the very definition of behaved and delicate. She lightly pounces and paws, and never bites. If you move your foot too much it will actually spook her and she'll run away.
Siri goes in for the kill and does try to deliver a killing bite... we just pull our feet back quickly rather than correct her. She doesn't let loose and play enough.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the minority here but for the 3 of my 4 cats that are comfortable playing with my hands I do allow play biting. You have to teach them the boundaries, it takes time and during the learning process I have to be willing to be bitten harder than I want and not be angry with them. I'm glad I've done this. For one thing, 3 of the cats, my husband and I all think it's fun. (It makes the 4th cat uncomfortable so we never do it with her.) I love rubbing their tummies and letting them grab my hand with their paws and put their teeth on me. It's a really unique bond to know that they can do that and be careful about not hurting me. I've also had great results from firmly establishing what's appropriate and what isn't when it comes to vet trips and at home "medical care" like giving them pills or trimming claws. While you could definitely get the same results without allowing play biting I've found that teaching the boundaries in play biting gives me more opportunities to reinforce those boundaries thus excellent results down the road. If you don't want to run the risk of being bitten firmly, I'd avoid it. But if you don't mind an overly playful scratch in the course of learning I find it a lot of fun.

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't condone any type of biting. Mandy, does do a nibble thing when she wants attention. I discourage her. All three will do some paw whacking and batting when teased with a hand under the covers. Dealing with claws is bad enough.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We don't play with the boys with hands and feet, only toys. Sometimes Spooky will grab my hand a nibble it but not close down his mouth and this I allow. Mulder sometimes gets a little carried away when he is overstimulated and will go after your hand that has the toy, and he gets a "NO!" and the hand withdrawn which snaps him out of it. They also offer love bites which are accepted. Jinkers has not offered any kind of biting so I don't know how he will react.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, absolutely not. I don't have to worry about it much but if Ginga gets overstimulated, she tends to bite people and Jazzy. Love bites are fine though.

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is what I am going through with Boca at the moment. He likes to lick my fingers and really gets into the petting to the point he drools sometimes, and if I keep humoring him and petting him, he eventually gets overstimulated and will take my fingers in his mouth, barley touching them with teeth (like love bites). Then he's bitten me a couple times. Not drawn blood, but too hard to be OK with me. I pick him up, turn him around so he's facing away from me, set him down, and leave. He stands in that position and won't move for about 2 minutes, like, "Dang. Screwed up again."

Chickster takes it over and beyond play and is like a rattlesnake sometimes, and I've scared the poo outta her by saying NO so loudly that she runs in five directions at a time and knocks into things. I wouldn't condone it, I made the mistake of playing with my hands with Chickster, and now she thinks it's okay to attack them during play time ... She also had to learn that my face was not a big mouse to dig all claws of both paws into. That hurt so bad... ugh.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emilydickinson

Emily will sometimes play bite. I always move my hand away and ignore her, but my husband thinks that she knows that this is just play. What your thoughts on the matter?
Oh yes. Penny play bites me nearly every day. I like it

Daisy is not into play biting, but if she wanted to play bite, I'd allow it.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Play bites: - depends on which cat I'm playing with - and if I have a toy they're directing their bites to, but biting me is a big no no

Love bites: - I have two that give love bites

They do know the difference.

That's been my experience so far.
I should clarify. Penny's bites are 80% love bite and 20% play bite -- a "combination bite" I guess you can call it

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, allowed. The key component (to me) is whether the biting is more the exception or the rule. Mine have intense sparring matches that last ten minutes or so, and they move on to something else. It's part of being a cat, IMO.

At the same time, they're allowed to bite me, as well. Doesn't mean I don't recoil and respond with a "@#% it, Alice!", but I don't discourage them.

In the end, they're good cats. They have lots of toys and scratching devices, and don't mess up the walls or furniture. So they get all the leeway in the world. I want their environment to be as naturally cat-like as possible.