Play Aggression Suggestions

sapphireblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I am a brand new cat owner of a 3 month old domestic shorthaired kitten that we've had for a  month and a half who we've named Aspen.  I adopted her from a friend who's cat gave birth to Aspen and her litter mates, and me hot knowing anything about cats took her when my friend said she was ready.  I'm learning now that she may have been taken from her mother and litter mates a little too soon.  She was fully weened and liter box trained, but I now see that's not necessarily  enough.  She, I'm learning, is exhibiting typical kitten behavior, especially since she is a single indoor kitty.  She's got tons of energy at different times of the day.  She has a variety of toys and two cat trees that she does enjoy but she really enjoys my ankles, toes, hands and arms too.  She doesn't really go after my husband and I'm guessing that's because I'm "momma cat"?

I'm getting to know her personality and learning tons about cat behavior, most from learning as I go with her.  My first mistake when getting her  was playing catch my hand with her. She's not scratching while playing so much anymore as she's starting to paw with her claws retracted and we've slowly been getting used to doing regular claw trimmings.  However, when she's ready to play, I can interact with her using toys but she still likes to grab on to  my hands and arms and go to town with biting.  Not enough to break the skin but it pinches and in my surprise, I pull away too quickly which is not good, I know.  

I've placed toys back in front of her to get her to disengage, and it works temporarily. My other tactics have been blowing puffs of air to distract her, yelping, hissing (she looks at me like this is hilarious which it must be because I feel like an idiot doing it, but hey), and saying ouch loudly.  I have also tried to scruff her when it's really intense but I really don't think I'm doing that properly or that I'm hurting her when I do. So, either I'm doing too much and she's getting confused, I'm not consistent enough with what I am doing, or is this also kitten behavior when her only playmate is me?

The option of getting a second cat is not an option for me at this time.  Is this something she'll grow out of or because I've already set the stage for it, will it continue?  Am I doing too much to redirect her behavior?  

She is, I believe, a wonderful companion who I'm happy to have with me.  I just want to do the right things with her. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes people commonly think that because they are weaned, they are ready.  Not so.  They learn crucial skills and how to be a housecat and boundaries from mom and siblings.  Plus, mom will let them nurse occasionally as well beyond weaning.  It's good because they get their immunity from her as they don't have their own built up prior to shots. 

Most cats will pick one person that they bond with and prefer.  She seems to have chosen you.  It could be because men's voices are deeper and more aggressive and threatening sounding to cats.  Plus men typically walk and carry themselves heavier, so this as also perceived as threatening and aggressive to cats. 

Kittens and mom will give a sharp MEOW or hiss whenever kitten is being too rough and hurting them.  Mom would discipline her with taking her by the scruff of the neck and placing her in a "Time out" or a quick smack.  I wouldn't recommend the smack, but the time out is a good idea.  After letting her know that is wrong (keep doing the hissing or OUCH)  Then put her down or take her and put her in a room or  turn away from her and leave the play session.  It may take a few times of doing this, but she will eventually get the hint.  Or you could say a quick "NO!"  Cats are pretty simple and learn quickly, usually. 

She will grow out of it but you have to be consistent in letting her know that hands and biting are not nice.  In fact, I tell mine "Not nice!" and they know what that means.  They stop and are quick to apologize with kisses and cuddles.