Planting Shrubs

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need some advice on what kind of shrubs/bushes to plant in front of my porch. The shrubs there now are dying, so I called a landscaper to see if there was anything I could do to save them. He said the only way would be to dig them up, change the soil, and replant, but it wouldn't be cost effective and might not even work. He is working with me to find something to put there, but I want something that won't be poisonous to cats and dogs as well as wildlife. He suggested hydrangeas and azaleas. I checked and they are both poisonous. He then suggested loropetalum, and that are not poisonous. Nardinna berries are poisonous. I've been trying to research, but I don't know much about plants, so if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it very much!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I really like dwarf lilac bushes and they have thrived both in my front and back yard. They smell fragrant and are not toxic to animals.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you get, go with dwarf or small, you don't want to be trimming all the time. I suggest 'old fashion shrubs', they are the hardiest and the easiest to grow. I like the following....Weigela, Spirea (bridal wreath), Mock Orange, Lilac, Snowball bush, and PurpleLleaf Sandcherry. Just make sure too what you get is for your growing zone. I have found out much later (years and years later) that many of my bushes were 'poisonous' to cats. In fact, the yews and arborvitaes are too but have never had a cat get sick from them. they have chewed my yews down to stumps. if they are poisonous, they sure go back day after day, maybe they get a slight stomachache? They sure have never acted sick.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try a Hebe, they are pretty hardy, evergreen, different colour leaves and flowers. Dig a big hole where you want to plant it, fill with new compost and plant the shrub.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure you get plants for the right amount of sunlight in that area also. Some do great in full sun but others prefer some shade.
FYI - hydrangea would have to be eaten in huge quantities to be dangerous and cats/dogs don't even bother with them. I have lots of them, same on prior homes. My entire state is filled with them. Never even saw the deer that frequented my yard in another home go near them. They are fine to use and very dependable and forgiving of planting conditions (and bloom for months and months!) but maybe stay away from using them for in-house bouquets unless you can put them up high on a shelf if worried. That's what I do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you get plants for the right amount of sunlight in that area also. Some do great in full sun but others prefer some shade.
FYI - hydrangea would have to be eaten in huge quantities to be dangerous and cats/dogs don't even bother with them. I have lots of them, same on prior homes. My entire state is filled with them. Never even saw the deer that frequented my yard in another home go near them. They are fine to use and very dependable and forgiving of planting conditions (and bloom for months and months!) but maybe stay away from using them for in-house bouquets unless you can put them up high on a shelf if worried. That's what I do.
I will think about the hydrangea, but might go with loropetalums and camellias. Supposedly they are not toxic.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I will research all recommendations tomorrow.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick follow up in case anywone is interested: according to my research just now, dwarf lilac and weigle are non toxic.
Spirea, mock orange, snowball bush (Viburnum ), purple leaf sandcherry, and Hebe are toxic.
Thanks for all your help!