Plans for Easter Weekend?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm off for 4 days! YAY! But I'll need every bit of that time off for this weekend.
Today (Good Friday) I have to make my famous carrot cake for a family get together at my Aunt's house (Dad's side) this afternoon/evening. Not that I'm particularly religious, but we do follow the "no meat" rule when we go. The main event is what we call "Flap Jacks", which is fried bread. It's so friggin' good. Most eat it as you would pancakes with maple syrup, but I like it with just butter. It's also a pot luck so everyone brings something...this year (as most years) I'm tasked with the dessert.
On Saturday we go to my sister's house for dinner with my Mom, Step-dad, and possibly my Father in Law. It's going to be a mostly traditional meal, and again I'm tasked with dessert, but I'm also bringing a side dish. I'll be making monkey bread, at my Grandmother's request as well as a dill pickle pasta salad. Unfortunately, my Grandmother just tested positive for Covid, so she won't be able to make it, and my Mom was with her the day before she tested so we're still unsure if she got it. There's a chance we may just postpone 'till next weekend...not sure yet. I suggested we could postpone, but there are several family's involved so I'm not sure if its possible for everybody...Mom said she would let me know what everyone else says. If we still have it, we'll just make sure my Grandmother get's a big portion of monkey bread saved for her.
So far, my Grandmother is feeling OK, so fingers crossed she comes thru this unscathed. Poor thing is 90, with advanced COPD, asthma and (type 2) diabetes. But as long as this doesn't move into her lungs we should be good. It's seems she only has a bit of sinus congestion and an upset tummy so far. She's a tough ol' bird and has come thru much worse before.
Then on Sunday, we go my mother in law's for dinner. It will be an Easter/birthday combo dinner as her birthday was last weekend.
On Monday...I'm going to do nothing but sit on my couch and watch movies and work on my puzzle or diamond art kit...I'll probably have to some some housework too but nothing too crazy. I'll need that time to recover from all the hoopla before going back to work on Tuesday. My tolerance for "peopling" isn't very high anymore and the introvert hangover can be pretty intense, but we still gotta do what we gotta do.
Oh and I have to make sure that I get my husband's Easter egg hunt together. Don't laugh, but yes, I make a hunt for my middle aged husband. It's fun to watch him try to find everything...He has typical "Man eyes" and can't see what's right in front of him....at least this means I don't have to be particularly clever with my hiding spots! LOL!!!

Anyway...what about you?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None, but I may see if husband wants me to try to cook something "special." He doesn't like ham and I can't find the good ham anymore anyway.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only get the standard Saturday/Sunday off, unfortunately. Saturday I may try to brave a trip to the grocery store early in the AM, and then I'll take my dog out hiking.

Sunday we are going to my aunt's for lunch. My other aunt/uncle will be there, and I haven't seen them since before the pandemic, so that will be nice. My brother and his family are coming up, so I'll likely be playing a lot with my nephew. They have a park close by so we'll probably end up going there so he can burn off some energy, and I'm sure I'll sleep well Sunday night. :lol:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My stepson and DIL are camping out in Big Sur this weekend with their kids. We'll join them Sunday at the River Inn for an Easter egg hunt for the kids and then lunch. It's supposed to be sunny and warm, should be a beautiful day on the river. :sunshine:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing much here. Rick has a colonoscopy scheduled for early next week, so I'm not doing Easter dinner until next weekend. We'll visit with his mom tomorrow, but that will be it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We were invited to our neighbor's house who we usually do holidays with but have other plans. Oh well, there's always next year.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not days off for me, since I don’t go out to work. Main difference is that Mum’s physios won’t be here for the Friday or Monday, and her shower attendant will be coming at the ridiculous time of midday on Monday. Also today, Saturday, I need to stay in because an electrician should be coming - my smoke alarm started beeping yesterday.

My main plan for the weekend is to get the intarsia section of the jumper I’m making finished. So many strands of yarn to keep untangling! :argh:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Per usual, I work and do the usual morning routine but it shouldn't be a big deal. I have one pick up at 9AM and they are very good about keeping good appointment times. (We are "closed" on holidays but are always willing to schedule appointment times that are convenient for both parties if someone gets into town and would like to get their dog or cat.)
Mom is coming over as usual for lunch. We both have Papillons, so she brings hers over so the two can play and wear each other out! :lol: It's supposed to be a beautiful day, so we're going to plant some vegetables in my garden. I'm going to haul a few jumps and a tunnel outside to the yard. I know my dog will do them but I'm not sure about Moms, as he's only seen them once and was scared of the tunnel at first. We'll try to get the dogs to listen and do the obstacles, while the cats hang out in the catio and laugh at us.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't generally do much for Easter; the big day for me this weekend is Saturday. I'm a filker (Filk music - Wikipedia Republished // WIKI 2), and lately we've been meeting primarily via Zoom (I have trouble expressing how tired I am of Zoom meetings) but tomorrow I finally have the first chance in a very long time to go to a filk in person. I intend to thoroughly enjoy myself. These are some of my best friends; I'm looking forward to interacting in person. The last time was last October, at an S.F. convention.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well 2 dinners down, one to go. My carrot cake was a big hit on Friday, as well as the pasta salad and monkey bread tonight.
We called my Grandmother on speaker phone to wish her a Happy Easter and one of the first things she said when we told her we just finished up eating was, "You made sure to keep me some monkey bread right?" :lol: ....."Of course we did Grammie"....
She's such a cutie, and still doing really well with Covid. She basically only has symptoms of a sinus infection...congested and snotty, but doing fine.
My niece after taking a bite of the bread and "Mmmmmmed" really loud, looked over at me a said "You need to cook more often". It's funny because we all contribute to all of our get togethers...I guess it's just that usually what I bring are the more decadent, fat fill comfort foods that we just don't eat as often...She knows that when "Ma tante" (french for 'my aunt') is coming, she'll be getting something awesome....not to toot my own horn or anything, but I do love baking and cooking....but what I love about it, is feeding people something great...I want people to enjoy it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my stepbrothers recently got orders within driving distance between where my mom and stepdad moved and where we are. I sent my two to my mom for all of last week and we met up at my stepbrother’s with another stepsister and like 10 kids for a little family Easter yesterday. I hadn’t met any of his kids yet because they lived too far away. They were super precious.

So today I was hoping we could do the Easter buffet at a local place I love. DH wants to just get a pizza and maybe wings. I’m not 100% sure which places are open but I’m getting really hungry. :lol:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work all weekend, but my parents and I did manage to have an Easter dinner on Friday (I know it was on a Good Friday but gotta adapt around the schedule :lol:) and this morning my mom and I had a little Easter brunch before I went into work, which was really nice. The weather has been lovely too so altogether can't complain!