Planning for Vet services?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're probably not getting the responses you're looking for because many TCS members do not have a scheduled annual treatment plan. Most people are just bringing their cats to the vet once a year for a check up and vaccines and when health issues pop up that need treatment. People who have cats with chronic health conditions may need to bring their cat in more often based on what their vet recommend for the cat's particular issue and specific needs.

If there are other vets in your area, you may want to call around or check out their web sites for their services and what they generally recommend for senior age cats. Personally I'd stay away from the chain vet hospitals because they're all about making as much money as they can from clients.
I went through several private practice vets including a cat only vet with Krista. What it really comes down to for me is that I can get appointments when I need them and I can get callbacks in reasonable times. When I called Krista's old cat-only vet, the soonest I could get Betty in for a new patient physical (so that I could get her signed up for insurance) was over a month out. That was after I was put on hold when they first picked up, and after I remembered not to call during lunch when they are closed. I called VCA having had a good experience with one of their dentists for Krista and being impressed with their facility. VCA was able to get Krista seen that weekend (less than a week to get an appointment.) The vet sat on the phone with me a good 20 minutes explaining his findings and recommendations for her new cat treatment plan including the dental exam I wanted to get for her. They put together an estimate and sent me home with both a printed copy of the estimate and a soft copy in their app. Yes, they did try to sell me CareClub. But that was easy enough to ask them to remove it from the treatment plan. Having signed off on the treatment plan, they followed up with me to help make her appointments. When I call them, I almost never get placed on hold. And when the doctor Betty originally saw wasn't available, another doctor in the practice called me up and helped me get onboard with her too. So now there's two doctors at that one VCA that can see her. Say what you will about chain vets. But I have had a much better experience with Betty at VCA than I did with Krista at her private practice vets. Yes, they are more expensive if I'm going to compare line item to line item. But the availability and professionalism I receive from them is worth the premium to me.