Pizza?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The cats wanted their breakfast this morning at 5:30. Rather than lie in bed and listen to them whining and meowing on the other side of the bedroom door for a hour or so, I figured I'd just get up and feed them and start my day. They all have full bellies now and are sleeping back in bed with DH, all six of 'em.

Anyway, my sister and BIL are coming for dinner tonight and we're having grilled pizza. I made the dough up this morning and it's rising in the fridge. I'll have an assortment of toppings, so there'll be something for all of us: sliced ham, chopped pineapple, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions, pepperoni, sliced peppers, sliced black olives, a few sliced hot mariachi peppers for some heat, chopped lettuce and chopped tomatoes (I love a pizza with nothing but chopped lettuce, chopped tomatoes, some sliced banana peppers, and mozz....nothing else. But then again, I can eat almost any pizza at all, other than with clams). Several kinds of shredded cheeses. I whipped up some of my favorite pizza sauce. The guys are drinking beer and my sister and I are making margaritas.

After over 20 years of living here, a pizzeria finally(!) opened that has a wide enough delivery area that we can have pizza delivered. Usually we had to go get it. I learned to make pizza years ago and enjoy working with the dough. Several years ago, DH finally bought me a pizza peel and I use that a lot.

Do you like pizza? Do you enjoy grilled pizza? Do you make your own dough and sauces? What's your favorite pizza? Favorite pizza chain?

Tell me about your pizza!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can I come over for dinner?

I LOVE pizza, but I usually only eat vegetarian as the only meat I eat is chicken or turkey. I never make my own...too lazy.
I've never had them grilled though, sounds interesting!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I too am asking what time is dinner?

Sounds delicious! I would love to try my hand at homemade sauce. I make my own spaghetti sauce now so I guess it wouldn't be much different.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We cut out junk awhile ago and the things we eat are to fuel our body so we also make our own pizza here, and it is so awesome! It is better than anything we have bought. We make a load veggie pizza with fresh herbs from the garden and only light cheese. Different cheeses are used for fun. I like a sharp cheese blend with spicy peppers the best.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't eat pizza very often, I have a low tollerance for dairy so can only eat 1 maybe 2 slices.

I get bases from a bakery since I haven't found a good dough recipe (and have always left dough to rise in a warm spot, not the fridge?)

I don't like toppings so just eat mozzarella cheese, with sauce underneath of course.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pizza. Never had it grilled though. Sounds like it would be good. I make my own dough, but never made my own sauce before. My favourite pizza is chicken and extra feta cheese. The feta is better if it goes on after the pizza has been cooked.

My favourite pizza chain is pizza hut. The best pizzas though come from Metro (grocery store). Not all Metro stores have a section that makes them but the ones that do have the best pizza...and really good gelato too.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mmmm... I love pizza.
I don't ever make my own, but my boyfriend's mom makes homemade pizzas every Friday for dinner.

Favorite pizza restaurants of mine would have to be Vocelli's and Golden Pizza. Favorite store bought pizzas are Red Baron and Freschetta.

My favorite kinds of pizzas are probably supreme, chicken alfredo, meat trio and just plain cheese. I also love stuffed crust pizzas and stromboli.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds wonderful. I have never made pizza on the grill, but I have made quesadillas on one. Yum!!!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother does grilled pizza and it is delicious. I do make my own, and I use my bread machine to make the crust. Easy-peasy. I'm vegetarian as well, and my favorite is a Greek pizza with kalamata olives, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese. Yum-my!

I totally understand about not having delivery... I grew up in a bona-fide neighborhood, and the closest "civilization" was 10 miles away. There are places NOW that deliver to my mom's house, but that happened only recently.

Pizza chains? I like Papa John's. I get cravings for Pizza Hut pan pizza now and then, but after I eat it I'm usually left wondering what I was thinking...
When I was growing up, the pizza to beat ALL pizza was Nicolo's. Oh, man, do they make a good pie.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE pizza. Never had grilled pizza before. I usually go to a place called Italian Bistro here, they are real Italians that used to work in New Jersey making pizza and moved down here. BEST pizza in the south! I would go nuts if they weren't here to give me authentic pizza

Not a big fan of the chain pizza places now that I have found Italian Bistro, 2 miles down the road

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pizza on the grill sounds great!!

Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

I'm vegetarian as well, and my favorite is a Greek pizza with kalamata olives, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese. Yum-my!
Veggie here too.
Now THAT sounds just like one of my fave pizza combos!! Except I'd add mushrooms, gotta have shrooms on a pizza.

Yes, I love mushrooms and olives, artichokes, onions, spinach, asparagus, brocolli, mozzarella, feta, fontina, tomato sauce, pesto sauce, pretty much any non-meaty item.

I have my faves from different pizza places; from a place actually called Pizza Place I love their Pizza Legume which is loaded with shitake mushrooms, sometimes they just do mozzarella, sometimes they add feta. I also love their Potato Pesto pizza which has sliced taters, pesto sauce, and feta.

From another place called Pizza Port (also a brewpub) I like their Laguna which is mushrooms, black olives, artichokes, onions. Yum!

I also like a good margherita pizza with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and fresh tomato. Haven't found one on the west coast yet though.

And back in PA I loved to get Spinach & Garlic White Pizza from Lehigh Pizza. Ricotta instead of red sauce. SOOOO GOOOD!

When I make my own, I just use whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joes with whatever veggies are in the fridge. I will try making my own dough someday.. I think my pita bread recipe would work for pizza actually.

Yeah, Pizza is one of my fave foods. Yum!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

And back in PA I loved to get Spinach & Garlic White Pizza from Lehigh Pizza. Ricotta instead of red sauce. SOOOO GOOOD!
Yummy. I love my pizza, but I am not a big fan of red sauce. When I order out, I always get light sauce, and I am a BIG fan of the white pizza...

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love anything with bread, sauce and cheese....so pizza is a fav.

I love pepperoni and onions.
spinach, mushroom, black olive and feta.
Buffalo chicken.

I love Papa Gino's cheese pizza, with a root beer.

or a sporkie from Bertucci's.

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yum.

My preference is vegan pizza from a (national) company called Z Pizza.

I am vegetarian but try to eat vegan when possible. When Z Pizza is not an option, I order white pizza from a local cafe.

Tasty delicious.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite pizza is Jet's Pizza (delivery.) Since it's just me, I rarely get it for myself. I usually get together with my parents to watch a hockey game, and order Jet's. We like a meat/mushroom pizza....they like green peppers on their half, but I detest green peppers!

I've never tried grilled pizza...it sounds great. Actually, I've never made home made pizza. It's always been a treat to order pizza delivery.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love pizza!!

I like Maragrita
Bacon and cheese
Broccoli and Garlic

But I will eat pretty much anything on a pizza except anchovies!

Even though there is a dominos in walking distance of my home I don't eat pizza from the chains since there is an AMAZING pizzeria arcoss the steet.

I do make my own from time to time as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I get bases from a bakery since I haven't found a good dough recipe (and have always left dough to rise in a warm spot, not the fridge?)
I use instant yeast whenever possible and I like to proof my dough in the fridge when I have time to do so. It's a much slower rising and you can really tell the difference in the texture of the dough. I always take the dough out of the fridge about two hours or so before I plan to use it, to bring it back to room temperature. Proofing the dough in the fridge overnight works really well for breads and rolls, but for sweet doughs and such, I just proof the dough at room temp.

Grilling pizza is so easy. You just shape the dough into individual pizzas. Grease the grill VERY well. Throw the dough on the grill and grill until the underside is nice and brown with nice grill marks; if you try to turn the dough over too soon, it may stick. Sometimes it will bubble. Then turn it over (use a large spatula or even large tongs will work) and then fill it with your choice of sauces, toppings, cheeses, etc. Put the grill top back down and let the cheese melt. Very delicious.

I think my favorite grilled pizza is just chopped lettuce with chopped tomatoes and just a little bit of mozz. Some fresh basil and oregano. And life is good. (I told my sister about the chopped lettuce and she just looked at me. So I made one for her on Saturday.....now it's her favorite, too!
)

I think I could eat pizza every day of the week!