Pipsqueak needs vibes and so do I........:(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right- Guess where meowmy is off to this morning..... to get another crate with a top door :D :clap:.

Pipsqueak has forever had this one special pink plush mouse. It is so ragged. Once we actually lost the pink mouse for many, many days. Pipsqueak was so sad and tried to help me find this mouse. I looked everywhere, under the fridge, stove, in the cabinets, under the cabinets, under the beds, under the washer/dryer, just about everywhere possible. It was gone..... I had given up on finding it. And I couldn't remember where the heck I bought that mouse and looked tirelessly for it. No luck. One day, I was going through the front hall closet to go through shoes that nobody was wearing and was going to donate them. THE MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :hyper::hyper: It was inside one of Larry's old shoes :flail: How it got in there :dk: I figured the closet was open at one time and Pipsqueak was playing with it and tossed it inside of that shoe. Then I probably came along and shooed him out of that closet. :lol3: Anyway, that was a very, very happy day for me and Pipsqueak. I will have to get a picture of Pipsqueak with this mouse and post that in Fur Pictures. :nod:

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't given my thoughts on Mr. PIp's problems lately; I assumed I was still subscribed to this thread when the new board went into effect and, apparently, I was wrong.  (that happens every few years)

I'm so glad the chin issues seem to be solved.
  As for the Elavil, I'd be torn between the 'watchdog' behaviour' and the litterbox issues.  I'm happy that the Pipster has found his inner kitten again, and it sounds as if you and your hubby are happy he's back, too. 

Quite a few years back we had a beautiful tabby named Winston who was one of my soul-cats.  The poor baby had bladder issues his entire life, and the vet was never able to tell me just what the specific problem was.  Poor Winston had crystals in his urine constantly, he would become totally blocked about once a year, bladder/uti problems twice a year without fail--he was a mess.  We ended up treating just the symptoms, because we didn't know the cause.  Did that make sense?  The vet did whatever was needed to get him thru that month's problem, then let him be.  The problem could have resulted from trauma Winston suffered as a kitten (we believe he was thrown from a car just before we found hin).

Has the vet considered a smaller dose of Elavil?  It sounds as if Pip is a high-strung fellow
 but it sounds as if you and Larry would prefer that to the mellowed-out Pip. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right- Guess where meowmy is off to this morning..... to get another crate with a top door :D :clap:.
Pipsqueak has forever had this one special pink plush mouse. It is so ragged. Once we actually lost the pink mouse for many, many days. Pipsqueak was so sad and tried to help me find this mouse. I looked everywhere, under the fridge, stove, in the cabinets, under the cabinets, under the beds, under the washer/dryer, just about everywhere possible. It was gone..... I had given up on finding it. And I couldn't remember where the heck I bought that mouse and looked tirelessly for it. No luck. One day, I was going through the front hall closet to go through shoes that nobody was wearing and was going to donate them. THE MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :hyper::hyper: It was inside one of Larry's old shoes :flail: How it got in there :dk: I figured the closet was open at one time and Pipsqueak was playing with it and tossed it inside of that shoe. Then I probably came along and shooed him out of that closet. :lol3: Anyway, that was a very, very happy day for me and Pipsqueak. I will have to get a picture of Pipsqueak with this mouse and post that in Fur Pictures. :nod:
:flail: Yes, please do!

We have two favorite toys for which there is just no replacement. One is Flowerbelle's wand toy. It's the first one she played with, so it's 8 years old now. :lol3: There are no feathers left on the end, and the string's been tied together a number of times... but it's what she loves! The other is Billy's, and now Chumley's favorite. It's a wand toy with thin green plastic in stead of cord. Again, the feather end is just a nub, but there is just something about the plastic it's made with that they LOVE. They chew on that nub once they catch it, and it's must be a "satisfying" kill that provides gratification like no other wand toy. :lol3: (Can't find anything like it. And I know where I got it: Petsmart. They just don't sell it any more! :( ).

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I haven't given my thoughts on Mr. PIp's problems lately; I assumed I was still subscribed to this thread when the new board went into effect and, apparently, I was wrong.  (that happens every few years)

I'm so glad the chin issues seem to be solved. :clap:   As for the Elavil, I'd be torn between the 'watchdog' behaviour' and the litterbox issues.  I'm happy that the Pipster has found his inner kitten again, and it sounds as if you and your hubby are happy he's back, too. 
Quite a few years back we had a beautiful tabby named Winston who was one of my soul-cats.  The poor baby had bladder issues his entire life, and the vet was never able to tell me just what the specific problem was.  Poor Winston had crystals in his urine constantly, he would become totally blocked about once a year, bladder/uti problems twice a year without fail--he was a mess.  We ended up treating just the symptoms, because we didn't know the cause.  Did that make sense?  The vet did whatever was needed to get him thru that month's problem, then let him be.  The problem could have resulted from trauma Winston suffered as a kitten (we believe he was thrown from a car just before we found hin).

Has the vet considered a smaller dose of Elavil?  It sounds as if Pip is a high-strung fellow :blobturq:  but it sounds as if you and Larry would prefer that to the mellowed-out Pip. 
That's OK, Libby... I know you are always on our side and routing for us :D :bigwink:!!!!!!! I am always thankful for your care and concern :hugs: :hugs:

Pipster was on a pretty low dose - 5 mg./day - normal is usually 10 mg. per day. We definitely could try 2.5 mg/day. I did get more pills from Doc in case I see him running to the box frequently again. :cross: that that will not happen again. At this point, I wouldn't even know anything is wrong with him medically. I definitely do not want him to be stressed - but he is not acting nervous being the :soldier: this time around. He seems more confident about things and just feeling great all together. I will just wait and see how he does as the days go on. If we have to, he can absolutely go back on the Elavil and will try the lowest dose for sure, to start. I am sorry about your Winston (what a cute name :)) Pipsqueak does not have any crystal's whatsoever - only the blood. So at this point, I will just treat his symptoms, like you just treated Winston's symptoms. But at the moment, Pipsqueak has no symptoms :clap::clap::clap::clap: For today anyway :D. I am learning rather quickly with having these sick babies - that you have to take the good days while you have them. The next day could bring it all crashing down..... (KNOCK WOOD - that doesn't happen - right - Laurie :D :D :D :lol2:)

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mr. Pip is lucky to have such a diligent Meowmy looking after him.  The sick ones---you learn to watch them like a hawk.  I think Winston got a little tired of me picking him up and (how to put this delicately?)  checking his junk ( I CANNOT believe I just said that)
, but I discovered that was one of the best ways to keep an eye on his problem.

I truly hope the Pipster's stress levels even out, and he can be your loving, goofy boy again---while  he keeps a good eye on everyone and everything.  He sounds like a real clown.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It did :D. I put all three crates into my bathroom. We have a closet in the bathroom. All three P's were napping on our bed (usual for about 1:00 p.m.) I quietly and gently picked up Perkin's first. Walked into the bathroom and placed him into the closet and closed the door. Then went to the bed and picked up both Perla and Presley and carried them into the bathroom, closed the door. Opened up the closet and out came Perkins. They had no where to hide. OH :flail: guess who else walked into the bathroom after Perkins was put in the closet - WALDEN :D. He is my helper. All three P's went into the crates without much pushing on my part. I think they were still half-asleep. :lol3: They all sang to me on the way to the vet. All went very well - except they are all FAT :(. "FAT CAT CLUB" that's right - fatties :flail: Diet's all around.

Pipsqueak was waiting for us when we returned. He of course inspected each of the three P's and licked them one by one. All is well tonight and Pip is having a great time bossing everyone around - even me :D. One more dose of the Elavil and then he is done. :cross: that thing's remain good for my little man :heart3: :heart3: I am also going to spread out the Pred to two day's a week. Hopefully that will keep the chin's 'unflared" :D :cross:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mr. Pip is lucky to have such a diligent Meowmy looking after him.  The sick ones---you learn to watch them like a hawk.  I think Winston got a little tired of me picking him up and (how to put this delicately?)  checking his junk ( I CANNOT believe I just said that) :blush: , but I discovered that was one of the best ways to keep an eye on his problem.

I truly hope the Pipster's stress levels even out, and he can be your loving, goofy boy again---while  he keeps a good eye on everyone and everything.  He sounds like a real clown. :clap:
OMG :crackup: :flail: I have not said this before - but :anon: I DO this all the time with Pipster. I have not mentioned this before tonight. BUT...... over the last year there have been a few faint "urine" stinks on bedding/blankets. At first, I just brushed it off as - urine getting on the back end and him jumping into his bed and then the urine being wiped off on the bed. :dk: It is such a small spot of the odor. But since this summer - I have been wondering :think: are those small and occasional "stink" spots from Pipsqueak leaking lightly. Does Pip have a bit of a "mild" incontinence issue on top of everything else. It is absolutely NOT soaking or full out urinating :nono: It is just a faint smell. Most people probably wouldn't even notice. Presley is my detective and will sniff and cover a spot if there is one. I find myself sniffing the bedding all the time :rolleyes: YEP that is me - deviated septum and all - sniffs out kitty beds :flail: It is a rare occasion that this has happened - but I still find myself sniffing and checking him too and checking where he has been napping/sleeping. It is not a regular problem and I wonder if I am just making more out of it than is really necessary. But... I think I have to say - since stopping the Elavil - there might be a few more of those "stinky" spots :sniffle: OH Libby - I am glad to know I am not the only one who "sniffs" their babies for these types of problems. Maybe we can start a "Junk-Sniffing Cat Club for Urinary Health" :flail: :crackup: My poor little Pipster - I love him so :heart3:

p.s. I am planning on calling my Holistic Vet - in Florida - who does phone consults. He has helped me with my sweet old man, Wilbur and this vet has improved the quality of Wilbur's life. SOOOOO maybe he can help Pipsqueak too.

Stay tuned ..................... :lovegrin2:

Last edited:

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it's good to see that Pip's doing better and that you're having fun 'junk-sniffing'! Hmm never have done that. I'm sure our cats would give us some strange looks.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmm... it sure sounds like his cystitis is related to a bit of "leaking" if this went away while he was on elavil, and is back, now that he's weaned off!

Aw, poor baby! The good news is that if there is a little bit of incontinence, it's not something that would require surgery!!!

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: you can get this figured out! :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie- I did notice this just occasionally last winter - but chalked it up to him going pee and some of the urine sticking to his booty and then jumping into a bed. Then for awhile it all but just disappeared so I never thought anything of it. But now - this last couple of week's I have noticed a few more of these "spots" and now I am connecting the dot's. I am going to call Dr. Mark on Monday and let him know this - pick his brain. I am now convinced that this must be related to his unfortunate FIC condition :sniffle: I am also going to call Dr. Wessner too :nod: I want to try going that route - but will have to give up on the Pred. That is alright with me because I really want to give Homeopathics a go. Has worked for Wilbur - might work for Pipsqueak too :cross:

Pipsqueak continues to be SOOOO very happy and playful. He hasn't felt this good in months. Even before I noticed his condition. Yes - he is the "warden" :soldier: and he really gave it to Walden last night :eek: Walden chased Perla for the first time ever - poor Perla - the boy's just love to tease the Princess :princess: OMG - Pipsqueak really put Walden down - holy smokes - I couldn't believe it. Walden completely lowered himself to the ground - took the pounding and sulked away. Poor Walden - because he is really sweet :heart3: BUT I am glad to have Pipsqueak's help in controlling these boy's teasing Perla. Pipsqueak handled it quite well - he didn't seemed stressed at all after that. He returned back to playing and enjoying, life :D :D

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could this be true??? I keep Ph urine strips here at home. I have been waiting to test Pipsqueak's urine with a PH strip for a few days now but missing my opportunity. :walk: Constant Litter box patrol :clap: Tonight, got my chance. His stream was strong, steady and a good amount. The color was excellent as far as I could see. The clump was large. The PH strip showed a totally normal 6.5 PH and if the purple part of the strip tests for blood - that was normal too. :hyper: when I tested with the strip a couple of weeks ago it was deeper in color. I am going to collect some urine in a small sterile container tomorrow if I can. I want to see if the color is more normal and not that brownish color. I wonder what this means. And like I said he IS feeling surprisingly kittenish these last few days. :think:
Wishful thinking :dk:. I just want to see the color, I will know if the color is lighter then something good is changing :bigthumb:
We sure have lots of Pee and Poop discussions on TCS :lol3:

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We sure have lots of Pee and Poop discussions on TCS
That's 'cause everyone does it, or hopefully does it, or.......oh, whatever

I"m glad things went so well getting the kids to the vet, and it's really nice to hear about PIp's acting like  a kitten.  Don't you just love it when adult cats do that?

Hopefully, things will continue to go smoothly at your house, Lauren.

(Oh, btw way, I wasn't just sniffing poor Winston---I was actually checking things.  Geez, I'm a grown woman and I still don't know how to put this.  The first time he had a urinary problem, I noticed he was squatting and absolutely nothing was coming out.  I picked him up, turned him over, and my jaw dropped.
  The tip of his penis completely blocked by a crust of dried crystals.  I carefully (and I mean CAREFULLY) picked it off and I think the poor boy peed for 5 minutes!  After that, I figured that was one way to tell is something was going on with him.   I know, too much info
)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(Oh, btw way, I wasn't just sniffing poor Winston---I was actually checking things.  Geez, I'm a grown woman and I still don't know how to put this.  The first time he had a urinary problem, I noticed he was squatting and absolutely nothing was coming out.  I picked him up, turned him over, and my jaw dropped. :jaw:   The tip of his penis completely blocked by a crust of dried crystals.  I carefully (and I mean CAREFULLY) picked it off and I think the poor boy peed for 5 minutes!  After that, I figured that was one way to tell is something was going on with him.   I know, too much info :bigwink: )
We can never have TOOOOO much information :lol3: WOW - poor Winston!!! How lucky he was that you knew what to do and what to check for :nod: :D :D :D

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lauren, just checking on Pipsqueak.... I know of his adventures with raw and all :lol3:, but how are his bladder and acne issues going? :cross: on the clear? Hoping no news is good........ GREAT news? :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Lauren, just checking on Pipsqueak.... I know of his adventures with raw and all :lol3:, but how are his bladder and acne issues going? :cross: on the clear? Hoping no news is good........ GREAT news? :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
WOW - I almost forgot about his thread :anon: :lol3: Thanks for asking!!!! :hugs:

Pipsqueak is doing SUPER!!!! His chin has completely cleared up :clap::clap: In fact the other three P's chins are perfect too!! :clap::clap:

I checked his urine about two months ago and it was definitely not as "orange" anymore. Still some blood.... BUT he is no longer on any medication for his bladder. His urine clumps are completely normal now and his PH is a perfect 6.5, which it was always high before like 7.5 to 8. He definitely is still a VERY high strung kitty. He still growls at people who are outside of the house, he hates it when I leave the house and insists I toss his fluff ball before I do leave, he still rules this house like a warden and still gives it to the dogs when something goes wrong in the household :soldier: :lol: He is a real demanding, manipulative and intelligent kitty which is not always the best for his health and is the contributing factor of the FIC, but BOY OH BOY is he a comical little fellow. Perfect name, Pipsqueak - a small tazmanian devil :devilish: I think he will always have FIC but now with his raw diet change it is completely manageable without drugs or constant vet visits!! :clap::clap::clap: There has been great improvement in his bladder urgency, PH and urine clump size. :nod: Definitely feeling better overall!! :rub: :woohoo: :bigthumb:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woohoo: Oh my goodness Lauren that's the best news ever :woohoo:
You went through so much with Pips... unbeliavable! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Plus, just reading your posts..... icing on the cake :flail::crackup:

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been around for awhile, so was delighted to find an update for this thread.

Yay for Mr. Pip (and the other Ps, too)!  It sounds as if things have finally settled down a bit at your house, Lauren.  So very happy to hear this!