pint size bully

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've just started having an issue with our small female cat (Hallie) going after and bullying the older, bigger cat Casey. He's only a year older than her, but twice as big. It started with a major rumble a few nights ago - she was looking out the back door at something in the dark, he came up behind her with the intention of chasing her (he likes to do it, she doesn't) and I think he just really frightened her. She went after him with a vengence and it took two of us and a blanket to seperate them so I could get Casey upstairs and the door shut. He spent the night upstairs with us - usually they're stay downstairs with the doors shut at night. He was quite shaken and frightened by her reaction and it took quite a while to calm him down. The next morning they acted just as normal. So far so good we thought, but tonight she had another unprovoked go at him, only not quite as serious. Any ideas anyone can give to help us sort it out would be so appreciated! I've had the Feliway Friends diffuser on for 3 days now - maybe it's just going to take a bit longer. We could sure use some help if anyone has any ideas. Thanks folks - you always have good advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for suggesting this. I have heard of this but never experienced it. They actually seem to bond MORE after a vet visit, surprisingly - terror shared is terror halved maybe. This just came so out of the blue, although I do wonder if Hallie saw something outside and was already on edge when Casey tried to chase her, and she turned that fight response onto him. I took his box and blanket upstairs that night and put it right beside the bed, so he was literally eyeball to eyeball with me and he spent the entire night staring at me. No one slept that night! He wanted my hand in his box so he could lay his head on it - if I took it out he'd reach out with a paw to rest it on my hand. He just seemed to need that contact to reassure him he was okay - just broke my heart to see him that confused and upset! The last couple days have been peaceful, but she tried it on a bit tonight with him and he just cowered in a corner until I could get between them.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats the way it often works. Cat sees something outside and gets stressed. Other cat comes near, and redirected aggression works its evil magic. Hopefully, a short separation and they will be right as rain.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
He just seemed to need that contact to reassure him he was okay
Oh, sweet baby!! Bless your heart for being there for him 💕

Try some cat music for both of them, and possibly a heartbeat toy or a purr toy for him :)

Last edited:

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, sweet baby!! Bless your heart for being there for him 💕

Try some cat music for both of them, and possibly a heartbeat toy or a purr toy for him :)
Cat music? Is there such a thing? I did play Reiki for the African violets and they perked up, maybe it would work to calm the feline nerves.

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats the way it often works. Cat sees something outside and gets stressed. Other cat comes near, and redirected aggression works its evil magic. Hopefully, a short separation and they will be right as rain.
We've had one near miss since then when things were heating up, but it got quelled quickly. I really think she probably saw something outside and he just frightened the bejeejers out of her when he tried to chase her. They aren't exactly best friends, but they do like to chase each other for fun and it's usually Casey who corners her and gets his nose scratched for his efforts - tables just got reversed this time and he didn't know what to do. Thanks for the reassurance - I hope peace continues!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I love african violets!!

There's Spotify which has a collection of classical harp music titled Cat In My Arms, ytube has cat music as does Alexa if you have one, --RelaxMyCat and there's MusucForCats as sources for you to consider :).

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love african violets!!

There's Spotify which has a collection of classical harp music titled Cat In My Arms, ytube has cat music as does Alexa if you have one, --RelaxMyCat and there's MusucForCats as sources for you to consider :).
Well, I never ... LOL. I checked it out - the cat just looked at me, however the husband went to sleep ... although it could have been a good supper and his comfy chair.

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have given me an idea though. Things can be peaceful all evening and start to stir up when they know we're headed for bed - Hallie wants to play and Casey wants to eat. We don't have late night meals so he's out of luck. But he starts winding her up then, so that's what needs to stop. I've been trying to have "bedtime play" a bit earlier, then maybe a nice, calming brush down with a little kitty massage thrown in and I'm going to set up the CD player and put on something soothing when the lights go out. I don't think Abbey Road quite did the trick so will have to find something else ...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You are so awesome, and bless your heart for hanging in there with them :heartshape:
Oh and thank you also for hanging in there with my typos, I'd blame the spellchecker if I could ;)

Let me know how things progress :vibes::crossfingers:

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried brushing - Casey grabbed it, wrestled it to the floor and tried to kill it. So ... Hallie agreed to 3 strokes and then ran away. Kitty massage went well, they like that. Reiki ... not so sure, they looked at me like I'd lost it ... maybe I have ... I think I need a massage. It's the lure of the moon that calls to them - they sit on the kitchen table and look at it through the skylights and that can start them off. Sooo like kids! Keep trying tomorrow - thanks for the support, it helps!

It's the spellchecker, does it to me too. ;)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We tried brushing - Casey grabbed it, wrestled it to the floor and tried to kill it.
Try the 2 brush method. Hold one brush by his face so he can rub on it and brush him with the other. I'm able touse the face brush to lead Yoshi to turn so I can brush the other side. When he was younger, Yoshi would stand on his hind legs to reach the face brush and I could brush his belly.

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try the 2 brush method. Hold one brush by his face so he can rub on it and brush him with the other. I'm able touse the face brush to lead Yoshi to turn so I can brush the other side. When he was younger, Yoshi would stand on his hind legs to reach the face brush and I could brush his belly.
Hmmm ... that's good idea, come at it from two angles. When I try to brush him he either tries to kill the brush or my hand. Hallie is better at it, she actually likes it. Have to liberate the other brush from the child who decided to use it to brush dolly's hair - dolly has beautiful hair, whether it be from the constant brushing or the cat spit the brush probably has ingrained in it (sounds disgusting I know, but we've all survived so far). I think a stroke or two at a time until they get used to it and we'll work up from there. Good idea - thanks for passing that on.